Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Disappeared tour cyclist a days ride south of Darwin

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Disappeared tour cyclist a days ride south of Darwin

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-18, 08:43 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Australia is one of the safest countries in the world to travel, with respect to crime.
So probably some kind of natural misadventure. From the map and where the bike was found (approximately), it doesnt look like there would be any body of water big enough for salties, which would be one of the more plausible natural dangers. I would say poisonous snake or spider. The remains wouldn't last long in the tropical heat, so if they haven't been found by now, likely never will.
Old 10-09-18, 03:40 AM
jitenshajin

Bikes: Far too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Or abdicted my alleins.
Even abducted.
Old 10-09-18, 04:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Hoax?
Old 10-09-18, 05:06 AM
jitenshajin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hoax?
What reasons do you have to back up a hoax?
Old 10-09-18, 05:07 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Or abdicted my alleins.

or heavens to mergutroyd -- probed!
Old 10-09-18, 05:18 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jitenshajin
What reasons do you have to back up a hoax?
Did you not see the question mark accompanying my comment?<----Looks like this one.
Old 10-09-18, 10:53 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Did you not see the question mark accompanying my comment?<----Looks like this one.
It's almost as if you were questioning if it were a possibility, rather than making a declaration.
Old 10-09-18, 11:05 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It's almost as if you were questioning if it were a possibility, rather than making a declaration.
Posing the possibility.
Old 10-09-18, 11:47 AM
jitenshajin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are questioning if it was a hoax, you must have some reason for believing that this may be the case.

I will ask again.

Why might it be a hoax?
Old 10-09-18, 11:53 AM
indyfabz

If you are questioning if it was a hoax, you must have some reason for believing that this may be the case.

I will ask again.

Why might it be a hoax?
I was positing whether it is a hoax. That was pretty obvious. I have no idea whether it is or isn't. Don't have a belief one way or another. Why might it be a hoax? The answer is simple: Because people pull hoaxes, especially in this day an age when people crave Internet attention and also like to use on line communication to try to rile people. Just look at this place. Plenty of that goes on here..

I really cannot explain things to you any more clearly. Buh-bye.
Old 10-09-18, 11:57 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts

I will ask again.

Why might it be a hoax?
If you are questioning his question as to whether it's a hoax, then you must have some reason for believing that his question as to whether it was a hoax is not actually based on a bona fide question as to whether it is a hoax.

I will ask

Why might you question his question as to whether it is a hoax?

(See how that works? Anyone can do this! It's fun!)
Old 10-09-18, 12:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Another possibility is that the bike was stolen and dumped. Although, it wouldn't necessarily match all of one's expectations. However, thieves can do the strangest of things if they don't actually have anything invested in their spoils.

Hopefully the Australian authorities have taken this mystery seriously, rather than just dumping the bike in a back storage room.

A careful analysis of everything that was found with the bike, and precisely where it was found might indicate whether the owner was simply heading to the water hole, or on a day hike, or perhaps fishing.

Apparently being unlocked is odd if the bike was intended to be left there for some time, but the authorities seem to think that nobody touched the bike for 2 weeks, so perhaps there was no reason to lock it at that location.

I.E. Where was the FOOD (or wrappers left by animals)? Do water bottle cages match the water bottles found? Can one account for the rear rack? Tent or Hammock?

Is the river navigable? One might also stage a shuttle bike, then head out boating.

And, of course, analysis of the bike computer. Even knowing the route the person was taking could help locate additional witnesses, assuming the computer is GPS enabled.

Last edited by CliffordK; 10-09-18 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 12:35 PM
jitenshajin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
If you are questioning his question as to whether it's a hoax, then you must have some reason for believing that his question as to whether it was a hoax is not actually based on a bona fide question as to whether it is a hoax.

I will ask

Why might you question his question as to whether it is a hoax?

(See how that works? Anyone can do this! It's fun!)
OK, so why not stop playing Sherlock Holmes, by putting forward unlikely theories like little green men and pranksters.

The Australian outback has enough things which can seriously spoil your day, without resorting to wild speculatiion.

We don't have the facts to make any conclusions as to what actually happened.

Why not leave it to the police. It's their job.

No doubt they will be gathering as many facts as they can to try an solve this mystery.
Old 10-09-18, 12:48 PM
CliffordK

I'm doubting we will hear much more about the case, but who knows.

I think part of the reason the OP posted this here was to ask if anybody knew of someone touring in Northern Australia.

It would probably be good to get in touch with Australian cycling clubs and groups, but a "tourist" could be from anywhere.
Old 10-09-18, 12:56 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
OK, so why not stop playing Sherlock Holmes, by putting forward unlikely theories like little green men and pranksters.

The Australian outback has enough things which can seriously spoil your day, without resorting to wild speculatiion.

We don't have the facts to make any conclusions as to what actually happened.

No doubt they will be gathering as many facts as they can to try an solve this mystery.
Sorry, this whole thread is nothing but speculation about what might have happened, including your comment implying that something in the Australian outback is responsible. It's all speculation. Maybe this was meant to be a "do you know who this bike belongs to" thread, and no other replies are acceptable, but why single out one comment and call them out?

I'm not saying this is a hoax, but here are some things that strike me as odd: The post about recovering the bike is almost two weeks old. The bike is said to have been sitting for possibly two weeks prior. That's nearly a month, possibly, that a person has been missing, and presumably no person who can be matched with the bike has been reported missing. There are many reasons this could be, but one of them is that no person is missing. There are also scenarios where no person is missing, but it's not a hoax.

I don't know what happened. I hope the person who left the bike there is okay, but I don't know the reason for the angry reaction to other's responses.
Old 10-09-18, 01:17 PM
jitenshajin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
Sorry, this whole thread is nothing but speculation about what might have happened, including your comment implying that something in the Australian outback is responsible. It's all speculation. Maybe this was meant to be a "do you know who this bike belongs to" thread, and no other replies are acceptable, but why single out one comment and call them out?

I don't know what happened. I hope the person who left the bike there is okay, but I don't know the reason for the angry reaction to other's responses.
OK, so maybe you consider the alien abduction theory to have merit?
Old 10-09-18, 01:30 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
...stop playing Sherlock Holmes...leave it to the police. It's their job...

hard to resist a good mystery. we'll search for some clues, scarf down a few scooby snacks, and pretty soon we'll find it was old man smithers who exclaimed being led away in cuffs "....and i'd've gotten away with it if, too, it weren't for those meddling forum members.....and their stupid dog!"

Old 10-09-18, 01:30 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
OK, so maybe you consider the alien abduction theory to have merit?
No, but I'm not the one policing this thread for which comments are valid. It's also not the comment you took issue with, so maybe you consider alien abduction more likely than it being a hoax?
Old 10-09-18, 03:46 PM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Check with tracker company

If the "tracker" is a SPOT or InReach type device, I would think it would be pretty easy to check with the respective company and request the owner's info. The tracker should have a serial number so SPOT/InReach/??? could provide that info.

I have never heard of a Momentum bike but that doesn't mean much. Is that a touring bike, mass market (Walmart type) bike, or what?
Old 10-09-18, 07:17 PM
willibrord

Originally Posted by TulsaJohn
If the "tracker" is a SPOT or InReach type device, I would think it would be pretty easy to check with the respective company and request the owner's info. The tracker should have a serial number so SPOT/InReach/??? could provide that info.

I have never heard of a Momentum bike but that doesn't mean much. Is that a touring bike, mass market (Walmart type) bike, or what?

Is Momentum an Australian brand or German or what? I cannot remember hearing of it before. An analysis of the cyclist's gear that was found with the bike would go along way to identifying where they were from. Certain brands are more popular in particular markets. If the person was camping or staying in hostels other travellers may remember encountering them, although it was a while ago and those people would have moved on.

It seems unlikely to be a hoax, it is a lot of money to waste leaving a bike and gear by the side of the road for someone to find.
Old 10-09-18, 07:26 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

This about Momentum bikes.

https://www.urbanbicyclegallery.com/...cles-pg326.htm
Old 10-09-18, 07:33 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Looks like there may be two different momentum brands.

https://fixiecycles.com/shop/bikes-b...-release-hubs/

This is the one.
Old 10-10-18, 10:30 AM
willibrord

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Looks like there may be two different momentum brands.

https://fixiecycles.com/shop/bikes-b...-release-hubs/

This is the one.
Looks like a low end Ozzie brand then. So it could be a local or perhaps a budget traveller from overseas who decided to gear up and see Oz by bicycle.
Maybe it dosn't tell us as much as I had thought. I wonder if you could trace where the bike was purchased? If it wasn't bought in Darwin, then somebody likely pedalled a long way to get there, somebody must have seen and talked with them.
Old 10-10-18, 01:14 PM
CliffordK

I was thinking that it looked like a pretty cheap bike, similar to some of the Pacific Cycles and Kent bikes.

Perhaps another clue would be to determine if it was a new 2018 bike, or a used 2010 bike, and how much actual customization it has on it.

The foreign cycle tourist would be more inclined to head to the bike shop, scoop up a $200 bike, add a rack, and head out the door.

While the local cycle tourist might be inclined to change up a few things to get it just right.

Nonetheless, a budget oriented cyclist might still be inclined to purchase used.

The serial number thing might be a good start. The company should know at least which store or region got each serial number batch. And, with the potential for recalls, perhaps would even know the original buyers.
Old 10-10-18, 01:16 PM
CliffordK

This may well end up as one of those unsolved mysteries. Even if they are able to identify a person, it may well end up on a mystery as "vanished without a trace".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.