Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

100% original Panasonic DX 3000.

Old 10-08-18, 06:14 PM
Sigsold10speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100% original Panasonic DX 3000.

I have a Panasonic DX 3000 10 speed bicycle that I bought new in the 80s. It is all original down to the brake pads. There isn't even 15 Mi on the thing and the water bottle that came with the bike is still on it. The bike is flawless. Again it has lived its life inside and has never gotten wet. It has never been ridden. how much would something like that be worth?

Last edited by Sigsold10speed; 10-08-18 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-08-18, 07:08 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
Sticky... https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...uidelines.html
Old 10-08-18, 07:46 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,563 Times in 3,763 Posts
Why did you buy a bike and then never ride it?
Old 10-08-18, 07:47 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Sigsold10speed
I have a Panasonic DX 3000 10 speed bicycle that I bought new in the 80s. It is all original down to the brake pads. There isn't even 15 Mi on the thing and the water bottle that came with the bike is still on it. The bike is flawless. Again it has lived its life inside and has never gotten wet. It has never been ridden. how much would something like that be worth?
Pictures would help, but we all know what DX-3000 bikes look like, so maybe not.
It really depends on your location and proximity to a large city.
If the bike is on its way to being 40 years old it will likely need tyres, tubes, grease, and an overhaul.
40-year-old brake pads are not as sticky as the should be...

This past summer I picked up a couple of cosmetically nice Panasonic bikes, a Tourist and a DX-2000. See pictures below.
The Panasonic Tourist was free... and the DX-2000 was about $35 US, equipped with full touring racks front and rear.
I posted the Tourist on this forum and was given value estimates from $75 to $100.
I think some of the older Panasonic bikes are pretty nice but that is not a widely held opinion.
These old steel bikes are worth whatever someone wants to pay for them.

Binky

Old 10-08-18, 08:12 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill

Its funny you should ask that.
I have travelled extensively and I have found that there are some places where people ride their bikes until they fall apart .... and there are other places where people appear to buy bikes with the best of intentions and then ride them once or twice and then hang them on the wall in the garage for several decades before selling them, often to me, for very little money. And not just department store bikes, either, but decent bikes. They hang them up and forget them, or just stop seeing them, until they are in the way.

I have seen and obtained decent beautiful low-mileage bikes at garage sales, especially entry-level Raleigh bikes, often found in plain sight hanging from the garage rafters, covered in dust, that people did not consider putting out for offers simply because they forgot they were even there until I asked. I think its weird, except that it has happened frequently enough to indicate that it isn't.

Old 10-08-18, 09:48 PM
Sigsold10speed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just never did. It had a full service done in 2015. The shop did replace the rear tube and tire because the were dried out. Other than that they did the standard service. They asked me if they could display it.
Old 10-09-18, 03:17 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
FMV depends on where you live if selling locally. Also is it yellow/black?
Old 10-09-18, 04:25 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sigsold10speed
One of those things that puts buyers off. You initially describe it as 100% original, then later add that a tire and tube have been replaced, so it isn't 100% original. You state above that it has never been ridden, yet also state that there isn't even 15 Mi on it, so it has been ridden.

Just some thoughts for you to consider when you're attempting to sell it. Lets say that I see a bike that's claimed to be 100% original, never ridden. I go to look at it, expecting to pay a premium price for a NOS vintage bike. I get there and see one tire that doesn't match the front tire, I see a 1-cent cable crimp-on end that's missing, and your conversation to me includes "I only rode it maybe less than 15 miles". Well, it's no longer NOS, never ridden, 100% original, and your asking price premium-value has now dropped by 50% in my mind.
Old 10-09-18, 07:15 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Don't people do this all the time? I use to find bikes that looked barely used often. And they still do.

NOS for this bike doesn't really mean all that much.

A DX 3000 is worth what? $200 max. I saw one at the dump a few months ago. And it was in pretty good shape with nice paint. (Can't take anything out of the local dump, you could be arrested)

Mismatched tires won't help. Just say you barely road it. If it's super clean you might bet $200, but it could take a while.

And then you have guys like above who although makes a good point he makes it sound like it's a rare bike. There are those types of buyers you will have to deal with potentially, and walk away from.

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-09-18 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-09-18, 08:59 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I agree with those saying that this bike being close to NOS isn't a particular draw. Panasonic is a brand that vintage bike lovers respect, but it doesn't inspire craziness in buyers, and this particular model is solid but nothing too special. This is never going to hang on someone's wall as a display piece or a special bit of bike history. In this particular case, I think the bigger factors are going to be (as mentioned) the market you live in, and (at least for me as a buyer) the paint scheme. Yellow and black fade, I'd pass even at a good price. Other paint schemes and I might be interested. But I agree with StarBiker, $200 is probably the high end, and that's in a decent market (I bought a DX 5000 for about $200 that hadn't sold on eBay and was on CL in a decent sized city for a while, to give you an example).

If you tell us the year (check the serial number) we'll know what it looks like. You can put photos up on a site like Flickr or Imgur and tell us the link (without the "https:/) and someone can post it here.
Old 10-09-18, 09:36 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Near NOS means zilch on a Panasonic DX-3000. And of course, its not NOS. Its just old with very few miles. Even with no miles, brake pads get rock hard, grease dries out, cables rust, etc. When someone describes a bike as never ridden and all original I assume it will need $200 to $300 in service work (if you had a bike shop do it). Fortunately I do all of my own service work, but I expect a discount to offset my time and consumables spending.

I routinely collect bikes from a local shop for our co-op. They get bikes people bring in "for a tuneup". Then the shop owner gives them an estimate of what it needs, they go into shock and leave the bike. The only way it works out for the co op is having volunteer mechanics and donated consumables.

Lastly, people that buy a DX3000 are not looking for a display piece, they are looking for a basic bike (think CHEAP). Collectors want something higher up the product line, like a DX6000, or a Team Europe.

Last edited by wrk101; 10-09-18 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 01:32 PM
blardner14

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colorado market would be around $120 max. Panasonic doesn't sell well in my neck of the woods.
Old 10-23-18, 05:48 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
They are great riding bikes. Maybe you should try it out and see what you have been missing.