Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Chesini.....what year and model and value?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 09:33 AM
jmead11france

Bikes: Limongi SuperRecord, Chesini Precision, Gilmour Nuovo Record, Waterford Special Super Record, Schwinn Supersport, Tempo, Peloton Carbon, 1974 Paramount, 1974 Paramount1971 Paramount, Guerciotti Nuovo Record, Martelly Diamant Super Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Picked up this Chesini for 80 bucks. Not sure of the year, but super record RD is stamped 82, BB lug is stamped 59, for size I assume, no serial numbers. Columbus sticker was tough to read what it is, but it is Columbus Zeta. So curious as to what year this thing is, and also if it is really worth doing the big resto on it or not. It was missing the front wheel wheel when I bought it, so the front wheel on it is from my Gilmour, but after riding this thing.....it is very nice, I am going to fix it up, it will just be a case of how far is is worth going...

So what do I have here?

This is what I got for the 80 bucks...

Last edited by jmead11france; 10-12-18 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 11:22 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Zeta was Columbus' lightweight hi-tensile steel tubeset. It was introduced for the 1978 model year. I doubt the SR rear derailleur is OEM but the Rino Crono crankset could be, as the shift levers appear to be Rino too. Based on the combination of Chesini branded Columbus dropouts, exposed nut brakeset and Rino components, I'd estimate the date as early 1980s and probably towards the latter end of the range.

I'd don't see a lot of value in the frame itself. The prime interest would be the SR derailleur and embossed components. In the state you bought it in, I would have paid $100-$125. Personally, I wouldn't a lot in it but if you really like the ride, you may decide otherwise.
Old 10-13-18, 02:22 PM
jmead11france

Bikes: Limongi SuperRecord, Chesini Precision, Gilmour Nuovo Record, Waterford Special Super Record, Schwinn Supersport, Tempo, Peloton Carbon, 1974 Paramount, 1974 Paramount1971 Paramount, Guerciotti Nuovo Record, Martelly Diamant Super Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I figured it wasn't anything too special....but I do find it interesting....and it does ride really nice. Best part is, it is actually in my size. It fits great. Guess I will do a rebuild of it though, and I do need to get some new wheels for it, but I think it will be a very cool bike with a new paint job. Thanks for the info