Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Aftermarket kickstands for Brompton...anyone?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 11:09 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts

Real-world input would be nice...the Missus is really tearing her mudguard and rollers up and has expressed interest in a more traditional style kickstand for her M6L.
At the princely price of most of them I'd like to know a bit more BEFORE I buy.

Anyone using one of the 3 or 4 available aftermarket/purpose-built Brompton stands for a more traditional parking experience?

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-12-18, 12:00 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts

My advice, and I have tried more expensive ones is to get the one from Greenfield. It sticks out further than the others. There are two problems. It weighs double and it interferes with the Brompton pump. I over came the first by replacing my extended seatpost with a ti post. I replaced my pump with a Lezyene pump that fits inside the seatpost and it has a hose and is an improvement over the Brompton one. The kickstand has better stability. It needs to be cut to size which is easy.
Old 10-12-18, 12:09 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
EVO kickstand:

Old 10-15-18, 08:56 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta

My advice, and I have tried more expensive ones is to get the one from Greenfield. It sticks out further than the others. There are two problems. It weighs double and it interferes with the Brompton pump. I over came the first by replacing my extended seatpost with a ti post. I replaced my pump with a Lezyene pump that fits inside the seatpost and it has a hose and is an improvement over the Brompton one. The kickstand has better stability. It needs to be cut to size which is easy.
Good input..Thank You. Can you elaborate on your preference over the pricier (smaller) ones you've tried?

My initial reaction to some of the others is the fastening point appears to be less than ideal, and I'd worry about it swiveling under weight since there is no redundant anchor-point except the axle nut. The Greenfield apparently is anchored at two points.
Old 10-15-18, 08:56 AM
FolderBeholder

Originally Posted by 2_i
EVO kickstand:

Any input or issues on this one?
Old 10-15-18, 09:27 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
Any input or issues on this one?
Steel, coarse finish, but other than that worked fine. About $10 including shipping on Ebay.
Old 10-15-18, 08:29 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
Good input..Thank You. Can you elaborate on your preference over the pricier (smaller) ones you've tried?

My initial reaction to some of the others is the fastening point appears to be less than ideal, and I'd worry about it swiveling under weight since there is no redundant anchor-point except the axle nut. The Greenfield apparently is anchored at two points.
I can't say much more. I had a Minoura kicstand. It was light weight but it did offer much stability. Wind could topple it as well as loads on the bike. I had used the Greenfield on other bikes in the past. It sell cheap. I got mine from Bikemanforu on eBay. Compared to Minoura, it is stout. Perhaps cast aluminum not sure, but it is alloy. Works for me.