Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cheap and good panniers?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cheap and good panniers?

Old 10-19-18, 09:40 AM
steppinthrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheap and good panniers?

I think I mentioned before doing the C&O trail. I'm looking for some good cheap panniers. I realize there are those paying 200 - 300 for panniers. I just got a Topeak rack with pannier side bars. I've had this bag in my eye because I like it's design. It seems to sell on ebay for around 30 bucks or so. It has a roll-top type construction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECO4EnYyZu0

The video seems to show that it's ok Okay quality and would last a few years.
Old 10-19-18, 10:24 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If you don't need them immediately, you can often find Ortliebs on sale for not much over $100, especially if you aren't set on one particular color. Definitely worth it over something generic on eBay for $30 if you are actually planning on using it for years.

Can't look at YouTube behind this firewall, so can't comment on that bag specifically.
Old 10-19-18, 10:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Can you use a sewing machine? DIY any?
Old 10-19-18, 11:51 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by steppinthrax
I think ...
You can have front and rear Ortlieb panniers and front and rear Tubus racks shipped to your doorstep in USA for $304 total.

https://www.bikeforums.net/20619493-post17.html

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Or...nniers-p26164/

https://www.bike-components.de/en/tu...ar-Rack-p1488/

https://www.bike-components.de/en/tu...t-Rack-p47758/
Old 10-19-18, 12:30 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Don’t waste your money on cheap panniers.
Old 10-19-18, 01:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
+1. I remember a recent thread on this subject. There was an Ortlieb hater (and hater of Ortlieb fans) who boasted that his cheap panniers kept their contents "reasonably dry." I noted that I had no idea what "reasonably dry" meant and expressed a preference for completely dry. Someone suggested that "reasonably dry" might mean "frugally damp." Got a good laugh from that.
Old 10-19-18, 02:06 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Yup. The attachment hardware tends to be a hassle at best. The fabric may not last....and cheap probably means that you'll be screwing around with rain-covers that won't do much good in downpours.
Old 10-19-18, 02:40 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I also use Ortliebs. But, I am careful to not put damp clothing in them on a hot day. Some have complained about putting dirty laundry in them and learning later that they are not the best place to store damp sweaty clothing on a warm day. So, my point is that they are great but you have to think about what you are doing. They are waterproof and the backrollers or front rollers are air tight too. If I have damp clothing, I usually strap it on top of one or both of my front panniers.

There are a lot of people that prefer other types of panniers.

This is another recent thread on panniers.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ring-bags.html
Old 10-19-18, 04:57 PM
jefnvk

In all of these conversations, I still don't understand people saying don't put damp clothes in Ortliebs because they won't dry. I can't think of a decent pannier out there that I would put wet clothes in, waterproof or not, rolltop or not, and expect them to dry. Short of something that is laundry bag mesh, I just don't see clothes drying in any closed environment.
Old 10-19-18, 05:41 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
In all of these conversations, I still don't understand people saying don't put damp clothes in Ortliebs because they won't dry. I can't think of a decent pannier out there that I would put wet clothes in, waterproof or not, rolltop or not, and expect them to dry. Short of something that is laundry bag mesh, I just don't see clothes drying in any closed environment.
When I made my comment above on wet clothing, I do not think anyone expects damp clothing to dry in any kind of pannier. But a pannier that is not as air and water tight as an Ortlieb has a better chance of the inside staying aerobic and probably not developing any bad mold or anything like that. But an air tight pannier could easily get anaerobic, resulting in a really bad moldy smell.
Old 10-19-18, 06:21 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
When I made my comment above on wet clothing, I do not think anyone expects damp clothing to dry in any kind of pannier. But a pannier that is not as air and water tight as an Ortlieb has a better chance of the inside staying aerobic and probably not developing any bad mold or anything like that. But an air tight pannier could easily get anaerobic, resulting in a really bad moldy smell.
Fair enough, although I still wouldn't want to smell wet clothes coming out of my cordura panniers!
Old 10-19-18, 07:08 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Been using a set of Jaand panniers for 18 years. Commute with them in all 4 seasons. Crashed several times, slid on the road a few feet in the rain, left in the sun for hours and hours to bake, yet no failures at all. Even the zippers still work. They are black and have yet to fade. Not waterproof, but I learned long, long ago to always wrap your stuff in plastic bags.

Highly recommend Jaand bags. Go to jaand.com and look at their clearance items. They have some good deals sitting there. One such deal is a waterproof bag for 40 bucks per bag. Each pannier is 987 ci at max capacity. I also have a Jaand trunk bag. Bombproof quality, too. That has been on the bike for 19 years. No failures. It is blue and has faded only slightly.

Highly recommend Jaand bags.
Old 10-19-18, 07:31 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Been using a set of Jaand panniers for 18 years. Commute with them in all 4 seasons. Crashed several times, slid on the road a few feet in the rain, left in the sun for hours and hours to bake, yet no failures at all. Even the zippers still work. They are black and have yet to fade. Not waterproof, but I learned long, long ago to always wrap your stuff in plastic bags.

Highly recommend Jaand bags. Go to jaand.com and look at their clearance items. They have some good deals sitting there. One such deal is a waterproof bag for 40 bucks per bag. Each pannier is 987 ci at max capacity. I also have a Jaand trunk bag. Bombproof quality, too. That has been on the bike for 19 years. No failures. It is blue and has faded only slightly.
Highly recommend Jaand bags.
I second your recommendation. Not pretty and flashy like Ortlieb. Just solid.
Old 10-19-18, 09:23 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
Originally Posted by steppinthrax
I think I mentioned before doing the C&O trail. I'm looking for some good cheap panniers. I realize there are those paying 200 - 300 for panniers. I just got a Topeak rack with pannier side bars. I've had this bag in my eye because I like it's design. It seems to sell on ebay for around 30 bucks or so. It has a roll-top type construction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECO4EnYyZu0

The video seems to show that it's ok Okay quality and would last a few years.
I'd say it'll depend on how often you plan to tour. If you're thinking week or less trips once a year, those should hold up fine. If you end up using the panniers regularly, you may run into issues over time. My Nasbar panniers are still usable, but I've had to repair them a few times. My Vaude panniers are over 15 years old and still work fine though they're not waterproof.

I really enjoy my homemade kitty liter panniers. I can use them as a table or a chair in camp. I also found out it's a great way to cool a six pack with a bag of ice if you don't mind emptying your gear and drying out your pannier afterwards. They don't hold as much as my Vaude panneirs though.

Orlebs have a great attachment system. They stand up to constant use, they don't seem to be effected by long term exposure to sunlight, and they are completely waterproof.

Last edited by mtnbud; 10-19-18 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 10:22 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
If your panniers are not waterproof, and you have not wrapped the contents in plastic, the contents will get damp anyway. I've never had a problem with stowing my wet tent in an Ortlieb Rackpack for 1-2 days. I usually try to dry things out at rest and lunch stops, but sometimes the weather just does not cooperate. On one tour we had rain on 35 days of the trip. With care the contents of our panniers stayed dry.

I've used Nashbar waterproof panniers and they held up reasonably well. I still use a set of their front panniers on my "around town" bike; and other than modifying some mounting components they worked reasonably well for the last 10 years. I bought them because I was not sure about front panniers, and I did not want to pay a lot just to try them out. My wife and I have been using Ortlieb gear for the last 10 years, and are happy with their gear.

Try this with with "water resistant" panniers. We rode through the Calgary, Alberta area right after the flood a few years ago, and our gear and bikes picked up a lot of mud. We did not empty our panniers when we washed them.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-20-18 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-20-18, 05:59 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Ortlieb City Back Rollers. Same bag/materials as Classic Back Roller, same lift-off removal system. Different strap closure and hanger position requires an allen wrench for initial adjustment. Just as tough and waterproof. I like them better as the shoulder straps aren’t exposed to water and mud (you'll thank me on the C&O). Ortliebs attachment & removal system is the best hands down. We have several other sets and none compare in that area or waterproof use.
Old 10-20-18, 07:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

I recall once seeing someone comment that they got a flat, did not have a spare tube so had to patch the tube with the puncture. They had access to a garden hose so they filled up an Ortlieb with water to look for the bubbles from the tube to find the puncture.

Originally Posted by Doug64
Try this with with "water resistant" panniers. We rode through the Calgary, Alberta area right after the flood a few years ago, and our gear and bikes picked up a lot of mud. We did not empty our panniers when we washed them.
At the end of the day when my Ortliebs were covered in mud, the showers at the campground were outside which made it an easy place for me to wash the mud off of my Ortliebs too.

Old 10-20-18, 07:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by veloz
Ortlieb City Back Rollers. Same bag/materials as Classic Back Roller, same lift-off removal system. Different strap closure and hanger position requires an allen wrench for initial adjustment. Just as tough and waterproof. I like them better as the shoulder straps aren’t exposed to water and mud (you'll thank me on the C&O). Ortliebs attachment & removal system is the best hands down. We have several other sets and none compare in that area or waterproof use.
A friend of mine also has the City version, he likes them for the slightly lighter weight and lower cost.

I however prefer the Classic version, mostly because the strap that goes over the top of the panniers - I use that strap on the top to hold my rain gear on top of my front panniers where it is handy for when I might need it in a hurry. On the rear, that strap that goes over the top is also what holds the rear rack pack (31 liter duffel) on top. See photo.

Old 10-20-18, 09:58 AM
jefnvk

Just a tip to keep an eye on the REI Garage Sales too, if you have one near you. Picked up a set of Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus panniers for $48 this morning, and the second store had a set of new without box Back Rollers for under $100
Old 10-20-18, 10:13 AM
jefnvk

Oh, and after seeing that video, no, I would not buy those. I have a set of something very similar that was given to me by my uncle, Schwinn branded from the late 80s/early 90s. They're OK for very light loads, but those backs will likely be flimsy and with anything heavy (depending on the rack) can bend and suck into the wheel.

As someone above mentioned, if you want cheaper and decent, the Nashbar sets aren't bad. I replaced mine with Ortliebs because I got tired of the inferior attachment system they have compared to any more "quality" brand
Old 10-20-18, 03:29 PM
bikenh

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
The best cheap panniers are free, right. Go to your local dump and pick up a couple of used kitty liter buckets. Add the hooks to fit on the rack and you have yourself some free panniers. I used them on an 8500 miles trip back in 2015 and still use them today when I'm riding on that particular bike that has a standard rack on it. Be sure to grab the lid to go with the buckets and you have waterproof panniers, they can't be beat by anything you pay money for.
Old 10-21-18, 02:26 PM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by veloz
Ortliebs attachment & removal system is the best hands down.
Do you have experience with Arkel’s system? It’s the best I’ve ever used or seen. I haven’t owned a set of Ortliebs. Does the little hook part underneath the rail engage automatically when you put the bag on the rack?
Old 10-21-18, 04:13 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by 3speed
Do you have experience with Arkel’s system? It’s the best I’ve ever used or seen....
A friend of mine has both the high end Arkels and also a set of Ortliebs. He usually uses his Arkels, however there have been a few times when a front pannier fell off the bike. Not sure if he hit a bump or if he did not get the bag on the rack right. His panniers are red, that color fades badly in the sun.

Originally Posted by 3speed
... I haven’t owned a set of Ortliebs. Does the little hook part underneath the rail engage automatically when you put the bag on the rack?
Yes. There is a handle that is a nylon strap, when you lift up on that, the little hook shaped latches under the rail automatically release. When you put the pannier on the rack, you have to make sure that both of the upper rail hooks are on the rail properly before you release that handle to get both latches properly under the rail.
Old 10-21-18, 08:56 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
For "me", good and cheap panniers are those you buy once and get many years out of.

I believe I've found a set that qualify in my set of Ortlieb front and rear roller classics with matching handlebar and rack bag mirroring Tourist in MSN's setup.

Now that I've started filling my handlebar bag with my camera gear, I've added a Revelatedesigns Gas Tank bag for my phone, keys, wallet etc.
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...ockpit/GasTank
Its sister, the Jerry Can, https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...ckpit/Jerrycan has also been acquired in anticipation of my next long tour, with the intention of utilising it for tools, puncture plug kit and Stans liquid latex etc.

These in order to save me digging through panniers on the side of the road for things I require quickly to hand, especially in inclement weather.

I don't think there is really a wrong answer with regards panniers as it comes down to personal opinion but a set that's merely weather resistant won't work for me, but I understand others have different climates and priorities.

I would suggest a wariness of buying a set that you'll not be happy with as in my opinion buying the wrong set means buying twice which is rarely "cheap"
Old 10-22-18, 06:52 AM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I agree with the idea put forth by RifRaf, that you're better off buying something that you'll be happy with over the long run. I can't say for sure from the pictures, but the COTEetCI panniers don't appear as though they would hold up or work very well for long. My guess is you'd soon end up replacing them with something better, so why not just start out investing in quality panniers in the first place? It's often said that it's the cheap person who ends up spending the most. Are you camping or credit card touring? Or in other words, how much stuff do you plan to carry?

Last edited by hfbill; 10-22-18 at 07:12 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.