Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Witnessed fellow cyclist miss disaster by an inch.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-18, 02:06 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts

Friday, October 19, 2018 at about 2:00PM I was cycling northbound on the Jefferson Davis "bike path" in New Orleans when I had to stop at the intersection with Canal Street due to heavy cross traffic. I waited about sixty seconds for the signal to change and stop the cross traffic. A southbound cyclist on the opposite side of the 6-lane, 2-way roadway was waiting as well. When the light turned green the cyclist proceeded just as a car floored it to run the red light. (It is very common for 1 to 3 cars to proceed after the light is coal red in New Orleans). I freaked out as I witnessed the scene and had one second to wonder how much first aid I remembered. Lucky for the cyclist, who FROZE UP IN THE LANE, modern cars have anit-lock brakes and the motorist was paying attention to the windshield at the time. The car stopped exactly ONE INCH from the cyclist's right knee. After the dust cleared we both proceeded across, and as I neared the now ghost white cyclist I asked him "So did you learn anything from that?" He did not respond.

What he should have learned is that the traffic lights aren't what kills you. It's the moving vehicles. So stop looking at the pretty lights and look at the actual danger. Green does not mean SAFE. Green grants you RIGHT OF WAY only. You then decide if it is safe to go. Lights assure nothing.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-22-18 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 02:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
After the dust cleared we both proceeded across, and as I neared the now ghost white cyclist I asked him "So did you learn anything from that?" He did not respond.
Luckily for you. Aren't you the poster going on and on and on about how brazen the thugs are in your "war zone" city and how heavily armed the war zone denizens are in addition? Apparently you must not have been listening to your own messages when you tried to provoke a "response."
Old 10-21-18, 02:44 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
When sharing the roads with cars, trucks and pedestrians, you really need to keep your wits about you. Glad nothing other than a change of shorts was needed that day....
Old 10-21-18, 02:52 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Only the Laws of Physics (when applied correctly) offer any protection.
Old 10-21-18, 05:00 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
…What he should have learned is that the traffic lights aren't what kills you. It's the moving vehicles. So stop looking at the pretty lights and look at the actual danger.

Green does not mean SAFE. Green grants you RIGHT OF WAY only. You then decide if it is safe to go. Lights assure nothing.
FWIW, so often I have posted about my safety aphorisms:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms, collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience,are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least [to include]:..
  1. You don’t have the right-of-way until the other yields it to you (learned from my teacher in driver’s ed)...
Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation:
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Pope @Jim from Boston often notes, "You do not have the right of way until another person yields it."
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Paise the Lord, Brother @Maelochs.I may be a prophet without honor in my own Land (Forum), but I’d like to think that one of my most valuable contribution to Bike Forums is my litany of Safety Aphorisms
Originally Posted by Stun
My experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you …

The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-21-18 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 11:09 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Friday, October 19, 2018 at about 2:00PM I was cycling northbound on the Jefferson Davis "bike path" in New Orleans when I had to stop at the intersection with Canal Blvd due to heavy cross traffic. I waited about sixty seconds for the signal to change and stop the cross traffic. A southbound cyclist on the opposite side of the 6-lane, 2-way roadway was waiting as well. When the light turned green the cyclist proceeded just as a car floored it to run the red light. (It is very common for 1 to 3 cars to proceed after the light is coal red in New Orleans). I freaked out as I witnessed the scene and had one second to wonder how much first aid I remembered. Lucky for the cyclist, who FROZE UP IN THE LANE, modern cars have anit-lock brakes and the motorist was paying attention to the windshield at the time. The car stopped exactly ONE INCH from the cyclist's right knee. After the dust cleared we both proceeded across, and as I neared the now ghost white cyclist I asked him "So did you learn anything from that?" He did not respond.

What he should have learned is that the traffic lights aren't what kills you. It's the moving vehicles. So stop looking at the pretty lights and look at the actual danger. Green does not mean SAFE. Green grants you RIGHT OF WAY only. You then decide if it is safe to go. Lights assure nothing.
This is, indirectly, an example of why. When I have a green light, I am always keeping an eye on the cross traffic. Especially those that think they can just speed through the right-turn, to beat me.
Old 10-22-18, 12:14 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
What he should have learned is that the traffic lights aren't what kills you. It's the moving vehicles. So stop looking at the pretty lights and look at the actual danger. Green does not mean SAFE. Green grants you RIGHT OF WAY only. You then decide if it is safe to go.
^ A "life" lesson, in the contemporary world.

Was introduced to driving that way, by a couple of the most die-hard defensive driver types I'd ever met. Most of those lessons still stick in my mind, even after all these decades. Definitely, a good thing.
Old 10-22-18, 03:56 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
A green light does not mean it's safe to proceed.

And that's regardless of your travelling method. It only gives you permission to proceed, under usual caution, which means you may still have to give way.

Some traffic lights will actually send traffic across another live lane, we have that in my town.
Old 10-22-18, 06:17 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Where I live, it seems to be the accepted norm that it's ok to run through the red as long as it's within 5 seconds of turning. I frequently check the State Laws to determine if something actually changed. Motorists are "compensating" because they know there is a delayed green light for the cross traffic.
Old 10-22-18, 10:14 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Luckily for you. Aren't you the poster going on and on and on about how brazen the thugs are in your "war zone" city and how heavily armed the war zone denizens are in addition? Apparently you must not have been listening to your own messages when you tried to provoke a "response."
When the pasty white Tulane students start pointing firearms at me, then I will give up and move. He had a Tulane T-shirt and a backpack, and heading toward the campus. I am extremely observant, especially before I open my mouth in public. Very unlikely that a kid whos parents can afford $70K / Year, or who has a scholarship to Tulane, needs to be a hoodlum. Unless he's in certain fraternities. Then all bets are off. Since I am not female I was not too concerned about the frat thing.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-22-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 10:39 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Friday, October 19, 2018 at about 2:00PM I was cycling northbound on the Jefferson Davis "bike path" in New Orleans when I had to stop at the intersection with Canal Blvd due to heavy cross traffic. I waited about sixty seconds for the signal to change and stop the cross traffic. A southbound cyclist on the opposite side of the 6-lane, 2-way roadway was waiting as well. When the light turned green the cyclist proceeded just as a car floored it to run the red light. (It is very common for 1 to 3 cars to proceed after the light is coal red in New Orleans). I freaked out as I witnessed the scene and had one second to wonder how much first aid I remembered. Lucky for the cyclist, who FROZE UP IN THE LANE, modern cars have anit-lock brakes and the motorist was paying attention to the windshield at the time. The car stopped exactly ONE INCH from the cyclist's right knee. After the dust cleared we both proceeded across, and as I neared the now ghost white cyclist I asked him "So did you learn anything from that?" He did not respond.

You mean traffic control devices don't keep us safe? We actually have to look both ways even when we have the right of way? https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...i-hit-car.html
Old 10-22-18, 11:23 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

[QUOTE=BobbyG;20627991]
TL/DR: I may have over reacted earlier, and now have over explained.
No problems here. Been around BF a long time and have Rhino skin. You picked the right guy to express yourself to. I have no one blocked and never reported anyone to a mod (that I can think of anyway). Thanks for the concern.
Old 10-22-18, 11:27 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You mean traffic control devices don't keep us safe? We actually have to look both ways even when we have the right of way?
Exactly. If one wants to be safer, that is.

Controls only provide one layer of impact upon an intersection. Anyone might well, depending on conditions, blow through those controls or not see them or be drunk ... or whatever.

Always looking for whomever might be ignoring or not seeing such controls can be the element that's missing in most such situations. If we all did that, doubting that lights alone will "save" us perfectly at all times, we'd probably sidestep a good percentage of those ugly situations that occasionally happen.

I'm sure we've all seen some drunkard blow through a traffic stop. Or someone who's texting or otherwise preoccupied ignoring a signal ... or even a car right in front of them. And we've all seen the news reports of folks blowing right up the back end of a parked car off the side of the road with its emergency flashers on, or even a tow truck dealing with the stopped car. Lots of folks out there who disregard or flat don't see such controls. And while it won't catch every such situation, it sure can help to doubt that lighting and signs only will keep us safe.
Old 10-22-18, 11:35 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

[QUOTE=BobbyG;20627991]
@JoeyBike I know how you feel witnessing this near miss. Twenty years ago I was stopped at a light and watched a speeding car miss an old lady in the crosswalk by mere inches...it pops into my head every so often.
Here is a good one for me.

I was driving my wife's car, taking her out to a movie. I stopped for a red light with a UPS truck on my left completely blocking my view of crossing traffic approaching from my left on a 50mph highway. We were chit-chatting while stopped paying half-attention to being behind the wheel when the light turned green. The UPS truck didn't budge. I was not thinking about anything but my DNA is so ingrained with "if you can't see, you can't go" that inexplicably I kept my foot on the brake at the green light for about 4 seconds, which seems like a LONG time NOT going across a green. Just as my attention focused 100% on being in a car I thought to myself: "Why am I still stopped here?" Just then a speeding tractor-trailer, who had just run his red light, shot across in front of me left to right from behind the UPS truck. My blood ran cold thinking that had I just proceeded when the light turned green, which I think 9 out of 10 motorists would do, I would likely be dead now.

The fascinating thing about the incident is that I did not consciously think to myself: "If you can't see, you can't go." It was automatic. I wast totally distracted by our conversation but my "auto pilot" was still saying DON'T GO! YOU CAN'T SEE!.
Old 10-22-18, 11:41 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The drivers are awful in New Orleans. You can never count on them respecting a light.
Old 10-22-18, 11:49 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
Hey guys, please leave the political commentary out of the thread, it's bound to cause a ruckus sooner or later. Thanky!
Old 10-22-18, 12:02 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I’m frankly more puzzled trying to figure out if he confused his trails or his canals. (But one trail becomes sharrows before hitting one canal.)

Anyhow, it’s always good to hear about yet another death defying moment.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-22-18 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 12:16 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by mr_bill
I’m frankly more puzzled trying to figure out if he confused his trails or his canals. (But one trail becomes sharrows before hitting one canal.)

Anyhow, it’s always good to hear about yet another death defying moment.

-mr. bill
Jefferson Davis Parkway at Canal Street. There is a large median (neutral ground as we call them) with a "bike path" on it. The bike path is in a really stupid place where it crosses busy roads. Nevertheless, you can't just go when the light changes. MAP
Old 10-22-18, 12:30 PM
mr_bill

Jefferson Davis Parkway at Canal Street. There is a large median (neutral ground as we call them) with a "bike path" on it. The bike path is in a really stupid place where it crosses busy roads. Nevertheless, you can't just go when the light changes. MAP
So you mixed up your canals, no kidding. (Now edited to hide the error only a tourist could make. Wondering how you pronounce Tchoupitoulas, Esplanade, Charles, Billerica, Esplanade, and Charles.)

Yeah, and besides the six lanes of traffic on Canal STREET there are also trolley tracks.

Anyhow, congrats for surviving another day in your “war zone.”

-mr. bill
Old 10-22-18, 01:34 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by mr_bill
So you mixed up your canals, no kidding. (Now edited to hide the error only a tourist could make. Wondering how you pronounce Tchoupitoulas, Esplanade, Charles, Billerica, Esplanade, and Charles.)
Jeff Davis Pky only crosses Canal Street (Blvd) in one place. Not that hard to find.

You missed the 4 most mispronounced street names. Calliope, Clio, Melpomene, and Chartres.

Calliope does NOT rhyme with Cantaloupe. It's a musical instrument and a Muse from Greek mythology (Call-eye-oh-pee). Clio is NOT CL-10. Melpomene is another Muse and also the daughter of Zeus and Mnemosyne. I don't even know the correct pronunciation for her. And Chartres (named after a French Prince) is NOT pronounced Charter (rhymes with quarter) - although every single local says "Charter" Street.

MORE goofy NOLA names...

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-22-18 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 03:03 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Jeff Davis Pky only crosses Canal Street (Blvd) in one place. Not that hard to find.

You missed the 4 most mispronounced street names. Calliope, Clio, Melpomene, and Chartres.

Calliope does NOT rhyme with Cantaloupe. It's a musical instrument and a Muse from Greek mythology (Call-eye-oh-pee). Clio is NOT CL-10. Melpomene is another Muse and also the daughter of Zeus and Mnemosyne. I don't even know the correct pronunciation for her. And Chartres (named after a French Prince) is NOT pronounced Charter (rhymes with quarter) - although every single local says "Charter" Street.

MORE goofy NOLA names...
Burgundy!
Old 10-22-18, 05:32 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Burgundy!
You both missed Fall Fun Drive.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-23-18 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 01:35 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
This solution is so simple...install red lite camera at every major intersection. Put a heavy fine on 'em runners. Problem goes away immediately. Hit 'em where it really hurts: their wallet.
We had those. Deemed unconstitutional. Everyone is granted the ability to face their accuser under the constitution. A camera is not an accuser. Also the camera system somehow made mistakes and were nearly impossible to contest. So I have heard/read.
Old 10-24-18, 04:51 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I think, as a general rule (with exceptions), just don't be the first one to go when the light turns green, and don't be the last one when the light turns yellow or red. I myself should heed this, too.
Old 10-25-18, 05:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

We had those. Deemed unconstitutional. Everyone is granted the ability to face their accuser under the constitution. A camera is not an accuser. Also the camera system somehow made mistakes and were nearly impossible to contest. So I have heard/read.
I thought they were still all over the city. Jefferson parish got rid of them, but I still see the signs all over NOLA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.