Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help locating cone nut replacements

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 07:44 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

I have searched extensively and am not able to locate replacement cones for both front and rear. Was hoping that someone might be able to locate and/or identify either original, or other comparable parts supplier. The following part numbers apply:
Shimano WH-R500 hub (front/rear)

Front cone part number Y-4BG98090

Rear LEFT cone Y-4BG98150
Rear RIGHT cone Y-3AE-03100

I need at least the cones, but will purchase complete axle set if necessary. Doesn't have to be Shimano original, just compatable. Would prefer U.S. supplier. Not opposed to overseas, but would just prefer U.S. for ease of supply/payment.

Dan
Old 10-22-18, 11:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'd Bring them into LBS and match visually, in person..

... if not in stock the shop will get them for you.
Old 10-22-18, 11:27 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I'm guessing you don't want to actually go to a bike shop.
Any shop with a Shimano account can order them directly from Shimano and/or most shops have an account with JBI and/or Wheels Mfg. You can order direct from Wheels Mfg.but you need to make sure you are ordering the correct cone.

Wheels
Old 10-22-18, 12:47 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by Bikedud
I'm guessing you don't want to actually go to a bike shop.
Any shop with a Shimano account can order them directly from Shimano and/or most shops have an account with JBI and/or Wheels Mfg. You can order direct from Wheels Mfg.but you need to make sure you are ordering the correct cone.

Wheels
I've been to three different LBSs to no avail. A couple of them even looked up and tried to ID a replacement. I think, not sure but I think, the part numbers that I listed above are no longer produced by Shimano. I'm told that there 'may be' alternative Shimano replacements that are still in production, but most likely aftermarket replacements...which are OK with me. And, I've looked on Wheels Mfg but can't find the original, and/or a cross reference for any aftermarket.

Dan
Old 10-22-18, 01:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I only have 1 local, they try harder ..
Old 10-22-18, 02:26 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

They could very well be discontinued by Shimano, but a shop that has a Shimano account can tell definitively. Shimano's B2B site gives the availability and warehouse location of parts. I no longer work for a shop so I don't have a B2B login. I've called a friend that works for Shimano, He's checking for me. When he lets me know, I'll let you know.
Old 10-22-18, 02:42 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I threw the first part number into ebay and came up with this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Cyc...Qkl:rk:15:pf:0

I've had good luck finding obscure Shimano parts if you can come up with the actual part number. Although Shimano does have a nasty habit of making detailed small parts lists with part numbers, and then not actually selling those parts anywhere.
Old 10-22-18, 04:17 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by Bikedud
They could very well be discontinued by Shimano, but a shop that has a Shimano account can tell definitively. Shimano's B2B site gives the availability and warehouse location of parts. I no longer work for a shop so I don't have a B2B login. I've called a friend that works for Shimano, He's checking for me. When he lets me know, I'll let you know.
That's awesome. Thanks for the effort.

Standing by...

Dan
Old 10-22-18, 04:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
For all the credit that Shimano deserves for trying to have the part info published we have to remember that their business model is based on the OEM supply chain and not the aftermarket service one. So given the pace of change that our passion seems to demand it's no surprise that while part numbers might be able to be found the actual parts never made it to market in any numbers that survive more then a few years at most. A 3 year service support parts stock has been adopted by other parts of the bike business. And of course this "3 years" is likely based on a single product run and future market forecasting, not by any feedback and decision to restart a past production. The costs/numbers just don't justify most all the time to do that. So it's left to the aftermarket companies (Wheels of Boulder for hub parts) to fill this nook. Andy
Old 10-22-18, 05:25 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
It might not help this time around, but you might be able to find an old service-oriented bike shop that has bins of old parts. A friend of mine found an obscure cone that way.
Old 10-22-18, 08:31 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Unfortunately, they have definitely been discontinued and are no longer available through Shimano.
Old 10-23-18, 08:34 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
I ordered two sets of Wheels Mfg. adjustable cones through Tree Fort Bikes. They were the wrong size so I returned them - shipping both ways totaled about $10.

If you ordered several different sets that you think might work, it would cost you only the return shipping on the incorrect items.

I suggest you email them re: this first - but I found them to be responsive and accommodating.
Old 10-23-18, 08:55 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
When I couldn't find cones for a 6700 ultegra hub, I bought a hub on Ebay and used the cones out of it.
Old 10-30-18, 08:27 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Well, I finally have subject bike road-ready again. I'd found an outlet on eBay that listed an axle set as compatible with the one I was looking for...for the front. So, I ordered it. And of course it wasn't quite compatible. The cones are the correct size but the dust caps don't quite fit in/on the hub. So I had to do some "kludging" (or as I like to say "gun decking" -- a term I picked up in the Navy). Just couldn't find replacements for the rear so had to do a bit of kludging there too. Everything is back together and will give it a road test tomorrow.

Dan
Old 11-03-18, 10:10 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
my experience has been visiting shops and going through their drawer of "old and single and all diff shapes and sizes " cones and just hoping to find a near match, in dimensions and sort of similar angle of contact area.
Was lucky this summer for a friends bike I was overhauling, but as hardly anyone regreases their own hubs anymore, I reckon its always going to be hit and miss finding stuff.

certainly a good incentive to regrease hubs regularly to keep them in good shape and reduce the risk of pitting. Doesnt help if working on an old bike or a hand me down, but there you go, just part of the "disoposable society attitude" that often is the case.