Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where are you cycling ... for fun ... this weekend?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Where are you cycling ... for fun ... this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-17, 03:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Saturday -- Rowan and I cycled our November Century! We have designed numerous routes in northern Tasmania and the longest route is our 600K randonnee called Hint of Hadspen Hike.

Because we wanted to check various parts of the Hint of Hadspen Hike before we ran the event, we decided to create three shorter routes out of the sections of the Hint of Hadspen Hike. So the Hint of Hadspen Hike I, II and III were created.

Today's ride was the Hint of Hadspen Hike I. It is a beautiful out-and-back ride, mostly along the north coast of Tasmania ... ocean vistas and roaring waves most of the day! But both times we've ridden it, the wind has been a challenge. And there are some challenging little climbs as well ... no Mt Wellington or anything but a few steep pinches.

We're a little out of shape this month, and I'm recovering from dental surgery. My stitches are out now, and it's healing well, but in addition to the aches and pains of being out of shape, my jaw is sore!!

Nevertheless, we made it! And even though it has its challenges, it's great to spend a whole day on the bicycle

Distance: 162.3km
Elevation: 1,477m
Moving Time: 8:27:21
Elapsed Time: 9:58:21
Speed: Avg: 19.2 km/h | Max: 47.5 km/h
Old 01-26-18, 08:51 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Rowan and I cycled our January Century yesterday, on Australia Day ...

The story is here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dist...l#post20132686

Old 01-26-18, 10:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Wherever I cycle its for fun.

Terrible week though .... went to the store Monday, and not another ride until Friday.

While I am sure Australia is a holiday in the Far Antipodes ... I am pretty sure it is a crime in America. I'd be afraid to celebrate it.

Grats on the century .... nice to see you doing a short ride.

I will have to read the story later.
Old 07-17-18, 09:45 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Big one coming up this weekend - I almost forgot!

Unless something crazy happens in my household (which is entirely possible), I'm planning to join a group for the Whitehall English Century - which, for this area, is actually a pretty easy ride. Since I live ~15 miles from the start, and I'm planning to ride to and from, it will put my day ~130 miles. I might add a few extra to get to 100 + my age, depending on how I feel
Old 07-18-18, 01:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by wipekitty
Big one coming up this weekend - I almost forgot!

Unless something crazy happens in my household (which is entirely possible), I'm planning to join a group for the Whitehall English Century - which, for this area, is actually a pretty easy ride. Since I live ~15 miles from the start, and I'm planning to ride to and from, it will put my day ~130 miles. I might add a few extra to get to 100 + my age, depending on how I feel

Sounds great!!
Old 07-19-18, 10:45 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Haven't taken the dog in the trailer yet this year - pedal broke on the bike I use for trailing and I didn't get around to replacing it for a while, then she had an injury and was in a cone for two weeks, then my daughter took her for a couple of weekends, then it was like a furnace outside. Will probably tow her to a dog park one day this w/e if nothing else interferes.
Old 07-21-18, 08:12 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Rode my Hornet home and then to the hardware store to get nuts and bolts for my rack.

The guy that sold me the fenders, rims and tires tells me the braces should be swapped front to rear to fit correctly, it was jury-rigged at the LBS and at least I have Darla home!

Last edited by Rollfast; 07-21-18 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 03:12 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I accomplished my century + to/from on Sunday! I didn't keep going to get to 100 + my age; I stopped at 132.7 miles. This was my longest ride to date, and it went really well - well enough that I got in a utility (trailer) ride today, and am planning to do a group ride this evening
Old 07-24-18, 03:46 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by wipekitty
I accomplished my century + to/from on Sunday! I didn't keep going to get to 100 + my age; I stopped at 132.7 miles. This was my longest ride to date, and it went really well - well enough that I got in a utility (trailer) ride today, and am planning to do a group ride this evening
Congratulations!! Well done!!
Old 07-29-18, 10:17 PM
Redhatter

Bikes: Dahon fold-up, '12 Giant Talon 29 ER 0, '16 Giant Toughroad SLR1.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Long time since I've posted here… but until recently it's just been the occasional commute from work, so nothing really to report.

Friday-Sunday though, BQ were running their Yarraman to Wulkuraka bike ride along the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail. BQ have had a long-standing relationship with Brisbane Area WICEN (Wireless Institute Civil Emergency Network; think about RACES in the US or *****T in the UK). There's a few points where they realised they needed a few checkpoints where there was no road access and they found that satellite phones / mobile phones were next to useless.

Luckily, one of Brisbane WICEN's members (won't say who) has been a long-time bicycle mobile radio operator, with a second member expressing interest in equipping his bike with a radio station. So two of us were operating "bicycle mobile" on this run. So naturally, WICEN was asked if we could assist.

On Friday, I had a check-point to run at McNamara's Camp, which is a mobile phone dead-spot half-way between the start at Yarraman and the first campsite at Moore. My ride thus, began getting dropped off at the gate at Binarken and riding to my checkpoint. I arrived there about 10:30 or so, set up… reception of the repeater was dodgy (about S2 at best) at first on 2m, but evidently the problem was at the repeater end because later the repeater was romping in.

It was about 3:30 or so before the sweep came through (after about 250 riders), which I joined on the ride back to Moore.

Day two saw me just joining in the ride, towards the tail end, riding from Moore through to Toogoolawah (including through the recently opened tunnel). Smooth sailing until we got to near Toogoolawah itself where the run turned bumpy. It was a tough slog from there to Esk with lots of ballast.

I think this was the hardest 20km or so that my mountain bike has ever done.

The run from Esk to Coominyah wasn't too bad… I think my biggest mistake this day was leaving so damn late, I wound up being one of the last people in.

Day 3, we departed from Coominyah, leaving the gate about 7:30… the first stretch was a bit on the bumpy side, and so I did what many of us did: switched to the bitumen road running parallel to the trail. It was pea soup conditions for the next hour or so.

Apart from that initial stretch, the run on day 3 was pretty good. I caught up with the trailing 20% of the riders at Lowood (the bakery there made a killing)… after picking up supplies there, I resumed riding, more-or-less making a bee-line for Fernvale (the bakery there also made a killing).

Things were quiet running through the former rail stations along the line… but before long, we were starting to see less rural properties and more smaller acreage housing. Under the Warrego Highway, I blink, and find myself in the middle of suburbia… with the rail trail soon ending with the Brassall bikeway.

The run was very scenic… and while there's some rough spots such as some areas where the ballast needs to be rolled flat and a few creek crossings that need work… it's been a great run. My leg muscles are still recovering though… and I have a feeling we might get asked to help out next year in a similar capacity.

I've got some improvements to make to the bike thanks to lessons learned from that run… and a new pannier bag to purchase to replace one that decided it was no longer for this world about 20km from the finish.
Old 09-03-18, 02:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Redhatter
Long time since I've posted here… but until recently it's just been the occasional commute from work, so nothing really to report.

Friday-Sunday though, BQ were running their Yarraman to Wulkuraka bike ride along the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail. BQ have had a long-standing relationship with Brisbane Area WICEN (Wireless Institute Civil Emergency Network; think about RACES in the US or *****T in the UK). There's a few points where they realised they needed a few checkpoints where there was no road access and they found that satellite phones / mobile phones were next to useless.

Luckily, one of Brisbane WICEN's members (won't say who) has been a long-time bicycle mobile radio operator, with a second member expressing interest in equipping his bike with a radio station. So two of us were operating "bicycle mobile" on this run. So naturally, WICEN was asked if we could assist.

On Friday, I had a check-point to run at McNamara's Camp, which is a mobile phone dead-spot half-way between the start at Yarraman and the first campsite at Moore. My ride thus, began getting dropped off at the gate at Binarken and riding to my checkpoint. I arrived there about 10:30 or so, set up… reception of the repeater was dodgy (about S2 at best) at first on 2m, but evidently the problem was at the repeater end because later the repeater was romping in.

It was about 3:30 or so before the sweep came through (after about 250 riders), which I joined on the ride back to Moore.

Day two saw me just joining in the ride, towards the tail end, riding from Moore through to Toogoolawah (including through the recently opened tunnel). Smooth sailing until we got to near Toogoolawah itself where the run turned bumpy. It was a tough slog from there to Esk with lots of ballast.

I think this was the hardest 20km or so that my mountain bike has ever done.

The run from Esk to Coominyah wasn't too bad… I think my biggest mistake this day was leaving so damn late, I wound up being one of the last people in.

Day 3, we departed from Coominyah, leaving the gate about 7:30… the first stretch was a bit on the bumpy side, and so I did what many of us did: switched to the bitumen road running parallel to the trail. It was pea soup conditions for the next hour or so.

Apart from that initial stretch, the run on day 3 was pretty good. I caught up with the trailing 20% of the riders at Lowood (the bakery there made a killing)… after picking up supplies there, I resumed riding, more-or-less making a bee-line for Fernvale (the bakery there also made a killing).

Things were quiet running through the former rail stations along the line… but before long, we were starting to see less rural properties and more smaller acreage housing. Under the Warrego Highway, I blink, and find myself in the middle of suburbia… with the rail trail soon ending with the Brassall bikeway.

The run was very scenic… and while there's some rough spots such as some areas where the ballast needs to be rolled flat and a few creek crossings that need work… it's been a great run. My leg muscles are still recovering though… and I have a feeling we might get asked to help out next year in a similar capacity.

I've got some improvements to make to the bike thanks to lessons learned from that run… and a new pannier bag to purchase to replace one that decided it was no longer for this world about 20km from the finish.
Nice trip!
Old 09-03-18, 02:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday -- We weren't sure if we were going to be able to ride outside because waves of rain kept coming over. But then it cleared up a bit so we went out!

Temp: 10.7C
Feels Like Temp: 6C
Wind: SSW 20 km/h gusting to 40 km/h

On our Bike Fridays ...

Distance: 11.92km ... actually Rowan's Strava shows 12.07 km!! So we did about 12 km. Yes, both of us! This was Rowan's third ride outside!
Elevation: 131m
Moving Time: 45:15
Elapsed Time: 46:46
Speed: Avg: 15.8km/h | Max: 23.4km/h

And then I went for a short run ...

Distance: 2.08km
Elevation: 13m
Moving Time: 14:48
Elapsed Time: 15:02
Pace: 7:06/km