Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Belt driven drivetrain

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Belt driven drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 10:51 PM
radshark
Psycholist

Bikes: Devinci Amsterdam, Litespeed Teramo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is a picture of the Paragon drops in use:

Old 05-21-11, 05:20 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
If you simply must build a belt drive, do yourself a favor and use vertical dropouts with either an EBB or sliding dropout system. Messing around with belt tension and alignment would be a side of the road nightmare; vertical d/o's make wheel replacement real easy.
Old 05-24-11, 02:33 PM
chainstrainer
lube addict

Bikes: Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone yet sell the new Gates Carbon Drive CDX-CT? This new belt and pulley system seems to be a marked improvement over the current offerings. Just wondering what thoughts there were here.
Old 05-24-11, 07:31 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
If you simply must build a belt drive, do yourself a favor and use vertical dropouts with either an EBB or sliding dropout system. Messing around with belt tension and alignment would be a side of the road nightmare; vertical d/o's make wheel replacement real easy.
Not so hard.

Sit on ground with one foot on each crank, hold wheel with one hand and push the legs to tension. Use free hand to tighten up axle nut on one side, swap hands, check wheel is straight, tighten other nut. Spin wheel to check. Ride on.

Took me about 5 mins. I'd need to do at least that much messing about with sliding dropouts.
Old 05-24-11, 08:17 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
Not so hard.

Sit on ground with one foot on each crank, hold wheel with one hand and push the legs to tension. Use free hand to tighten up axle nut on one side, swap hands, check wheel is straight, tighten other nut. Spin wheel to check. Ride on.

Took me about 5 mins. I'd need to do at least that much messing about with sliding dropouts.
Boom.

I was imagining that a belt drive system on a low speed vehicle like a bicycle could probably be adjusted better by the human eye and hand (feet?) than any tool.
Old 05-28-11, 12:51 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Why notched belts on bicycles? I know it may be a dumb question with a simple answer but ... I understand that those belts are optimal on motorcycles with high torque requirements, but are low hp V belts ever used on bicycles? It seems like alignment, tensioning and slippage would no longer be issues, and bicycles are fractional HP.
Old 05-28-11, 01:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I don't think a v belt would work well in a bicycle application. There is no room for error or you end up on your face. In fact, it's really hard to beat a chain and if it weren't for Gates wanting to sell into a new market, the timing belts wouldn't be available for bikes either.
Old 05-28-11, 05:09 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I don't think a v belt would work well in a bicycle application. There is no room for error or you end up on your face. In fact, it's really hard to beat a chain and if it weren't for Gates wanting to sell into a new market, the timing belts wouldn't be available for bikes either.
If you don't mind elaborating, why is a V belt more likely to have a catastrophic malfunction? I thought that was one of the strong points, and was thinking more about lower efficiency possibly. If it's not too off topic I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Old 05-28-11, 06:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

a v belt slips when it's loose. They also slip when they aren't loose. Not exactly the kind of thing that I would feel comfortable trusting my teeth to. I will admit to being a bit of a luddite when it comes to bicycle tech. As a class, belts are less efficient than chains in applications like the bicycle.
Old 05-28-11, 11:08 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Why notched belts on bicycles? I know it may be a dumb question with a simple answer but ... I understand that those belts are optimal on motorcycles with high torque requirements, but are low hp V belts ever used on bicycles? It seems like alignment, tensioning and slippage would no longer be issues, and bicycles are fractional HP.
Bicycles have huge torque spikes to deal with. Picture a 200 lb man standing on the pedals mashing up a hill, or a conditioned racer accelerating. The peak torque could surpass a smaller motorcycle engine.

I like the belt concept. Not sold on the practicality. I've broken chains on a ride & fixed them in less than 10 minutes. Break a belt, walk home.
Old 05-29-11, 12:47 PM
wphamilton

Hi torque=slip=lower efficiency, pretty much as I suspected. Thanks.

Sorry to derail the thread ... carry on please
Old 05-29-11, 01:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Re the hub, I've been using mine on my commuter year round for 5 + years..
just got a second bike with one, a Bike Friday..
no belt drive as the frame folds behind the BB for 20" wheels.
It has a spring tensioner .

It is an option on their 349 wheel bikes as rear section is a unit,
fold is including the BB, hinge ahead of the BB.
IGH dropout swings rearward to tension drive, chain or belt.

Rohloff has drawings to manufacture sliding dropouts ,
their sliding track spec was angled at 20 degrees.
I see that as moving in a direction to not move the brake shoes away from the rim

and the weight of the bike, when one has loosened the bolts,
tensions the drive chain, because the slide has slope,
so perhaps also valid for the belt scheme.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-29-11 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-29-11, 03:36 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Seems like the biggest challenge with belt drive is the continuous belt, and having to split the frame to replace it.

Why not: design a frame with rear stays just wide enough for the internally geared hub; good, strong axle with extension on right side; and belt pulley on the outside of the frame? Slot the dropouts for adjustment? Belt replacement would take seconds...
Old 05-31-11, 08:04 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
Seems like the biggest challenge with belt drive is the continuous belt, and having to split the frame to replace it.

Why not: design a frame with rear stays just wide enough for the internally geared hub; good, strong axle with extension on right side; and belt pulley on the outside of the frame? Slot the dropouts for adjustment? Belt replacement would take seconds...
Because: I can't think of a single IGH hub where it wouldn't be much, much easier to just have a split in one of the stays somewhere. Or an elevated chainstay.
Old 05-31-11, 06:58 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I've seen a few frames over the years that are set up like that, although all of them were chain drive. It's an attractive concept, but has obviously never caught on. Probably just the fact that it requires a complete redesign of the entire rear end, which will then be incompatible with pretty much anything else ever made...
Old 07-25-11, 10:49 AM
vautrain

Bikes: Several, all steel and 650b

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's too bad about your District Carbon. I have had nothing but good luck with my District grey/orange, and so I bought a District Carbon to upgrade. It hasn't been on the road yet (I'm upgrading some bits) but I hope I'll have the same experience that I've had thus far, which has been nothing but easy and reliable.

Originally Posted by raceline
Belt drive in my opinion sucks !!!! may i say NOISE and slippage , bout a 2011 district carbon went to a chain drive & now perfect ( no wonder the chain is well over 100 years old ) Trek was nothing but good in helping me they tried everything and included new everything as far as drivetrain to try to fix it
Old 09-15-18, 03:08 AM
ka.i

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raceline
Belt drive in my opinion sucks !!!! may i say NOISE and slippage , bout a 2011 district carbon went to a chain drive & now perfect ( no wonder the chain is well over 100 years old ) Trek was nothing but good in helping me they tried everything and included new everything as far as drivetrain to try to fix it
That's too bad, but it sound like the bike is not setup right....

I've got 2 bikes with belt setups and there are 2 key things that must be tuned correctly:

- The belt line must be absolutely straight. Gates Belts only allows +/- 1mm of variance in alignment between the front and rear sprocket. If the belt line is off, the result is noise. The Center Track is especially sensitive to alignment due to the center spline on the belt.
- Proper tension must be set. The frame must have a way to apply belt tension. You cannot pull it with your hand. You simply cannot create enough tension if there's not a belt tensioner used. Use an instrument to measure the tension.
If the belt is loose, the result is the belt skipping tooth.
Old 09-18-18, 01:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Tout Terrain design seems good , right dropout is 2 pieces
sandwiched together
1 attached to seat stay, other to chainstay ,

so IGH axle holds them together when ready to go.

BB is Front of a Tandem Eccentric. to snug up chain or belt.
Old 09-19-18, 06:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

this is a really old thread, I'm closing it before things go sour and people start arguing with someone that's no longer around.