Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Royal Crown 3 Speed English.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 01:51 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Royal Crown 3 Speed English.

I just picked this bike up as dumbster trash find older Royal Crown all English built 3 speed. It seems to be complete and nearly all original except for saddle and maybe tires. Most everything works just seems to need shifter cable. I road it home about 4 miles doing nothing to it just had to manually put it in low gear with a couple of tugs on the IGH. The components are all england Sturmey Archer and Phillips with English Dunlap rims/wheels and Austrian tires might be original.

My qestions to the 3 speed gurus are what is it worth if anything, should I fix it (the older SA shifter will cost $20-30 in parts to fix properly which will need to be ordered, I checked it out). Or should I just part it out and sell the parts piece wise for the money. Sell maybe trade it as is or just keep it because it just looks so cool. I'm almost leaning on just keeping it as cool looking collectors bike

Last edited by zukahn1; 11-12-11 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-13-11, 07:15 AM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
That's a great cycle and a great find.
Here in Boston, all tuned up it would sell for around $200.
Are those wheels 24" or 26"?
Old 11-13-11, 04:32 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

It has 26 by 1 3/8 english size Dunlaps on it. The market here in Denver is a little weak right now so I will probably try and sell it quick for $150-125
Old 11-13-11, 07:34 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I'd consider keeping it, it looks pretty cool. But if you don't have the space to keep it, or want cash instead, I'd put it on CL for $100. Should sell reasonably fast at that price. Unless it's something special I think the estimate of $200 is too high, at least around here. Old 3 speeds just aren't worth that much. Unless it's an all-original Raleigh with all the bells and whistles.
Old 11-13-11, 08:09 PM
zukahn1 

Originally Posted by FastJake
I'd consider keeping it, it looks pretty cool. But if you don't have the space to keep it, or want cash instead, I'd put it on CL for $100. Should sell reasonably fast at that price. Unless it's something special I think the estimate of $200 is too high, at least around here. Old 3 speeds just aren't worth that much. Unless it's an all-original Raleigh with all the bells and whistles.
I think your right I would definetly keep it if it was my size. But I do need the money and the space I live in an apartment and have two other bikes and I'm looking to pick up at least one maybe two other bikes as winter projects in the next few weeks. It did have an add on bell and incorrect rack when I got It but I took them both off for other projects they seemed to hurt the original quaility of the bike and wouldn't help its selling value.
Old 11-20-11, 09:43 PM
zukahn1 

Just as a follow up and some FIY info I sold the bike for $80 cash to a really nice and knowing buying who didn't have any issues with it being a heavy older bike with a clunky 3 speed no bickering haggling or hassle he just gave me the money and took the bike. After better than week of listings it was the only offer I got so I took it to make room for more bikes. So the selling price for old 3 speeds in Denver is about $75-$100 right now.
Old 10-15-18, 06:15 PM
Ranger22
68 years + in saddle

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Grove Innovations tandem, Magnum Peak e MTB, repack KlunkerOld CB "repack single speed, Trek roadster, KHS MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A slightly darker red version of this bike was my first new bike from a dealer in Philadelphia about 1957. I remember it so very well. 26” X1 3/8” Sturmy Archer 3 speed rear hub Strongly built. I kept it oiled and clean. Loved that first all mine bike It was $45.00 because we bought two, one identical for my friend whose dad came with us mike shopping. A good solid bike. I rode it to classes in college in the early 1970s.
Old 10-18-18, 07:18 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Just as a follow up and some FIY info I sold the bike for $80 cash to a really nice and knowing buying who didn't have any issues with it being a heavy older bike with a clunky 3 speed no bickering haggling or hassle he just gave me the money and took the bike. After better than week of listings it was the only offer I got so I took it to make room for more bikes. So the selling price for old 3 speeds in Denver is about $75-$100 right now.
I find there are two distinct 3 speed markets: major urban areas (think NYC) and everywhere else. I can't give away 3 speed bikes here. I picked up a very nice Raleigh LTD 3, even had fresh Schwalbe tires and Koolstop brake pads. Sweet! Finally had to donate the bike, no interest at any price. I keep relearning this lesson. No 3 speeds.

f1976 Raleigh LTD by wrk101, on Flickr
Old 10-18-18, 07:45 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
3 speeds are a tough sell in most markets. I happily overpaid for mine--a 1969 Raleigh Robin Hood--but it was in pristine shape and my first good bike in 3d grade was a Robin Hood. So I couldn't resist when it popped up locally.