Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-18, 04:48 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
My current training and work schedules are such that if I have a long ride scheduled and it's going to rain a bunch, then the bike and I are going to get wet - rescheduling isn't feasible. Getting rained on with temps in the 70s is no big deal for me, but my chain is hating life at this point. Lubing it every ride doesn't seem to cut it. I've seen pros using grease on their chains on such days, is this a holdover from the 70s or still viable? What do folks on the Wet Coast (OR and WA) do? @mattm

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-08-18, 08:38 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Yeah.. Good luck.. Wax based lubes (or just straight wax) tends to do well for one wet ride, but will require reapplication.

I've been waxing my chains for about 2 years, and when I lived in SEA, [in the winters] I'd usually ride it all week on the trainer, group ride Saturday (WET!) and then it would be squeaky for a group ride outside sunday. If I remember I'd put a small amount of lube on each link and it would help it a bit. Then clean, degrease and rewax for the next week on Sunday afternoon.
Old 07-08-18, 09:00 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Add me to the wax mafia. I have a Connex that I can take off, drop in the ultrasonic cleaner, then drop in a mini crockpot full of wax. If I'm in a rush I'll drop some lube on it.

Of course, none of this applies to your situation as we don't really get rain out here. If you're going to race in the Sahara hit me up for pro tips!
Old 07-09-18, 11:59 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Yeah.. Good luck.. Wax based lubes (or just straight wax) tends to do well for one wet ride, but will require reapplication.

I've been waxing my chains for about 2 years, and when I lived in SEA, [in the winters] I'd usually ride it all week on the trainer, group ride Saturday (WET!) and then it would be squeaky for a group ride outside sunday. If I remember I'd put a small amount of lube on each link and it would help it a bit. Then clean, degrease and rewax for the next week on Sunday afternoon.
I'm in the same boat, been waxing this year, albeit not with a hot wax, but Squirt. It gets sqeeky after a single rain ride but I can usually get it to stop after letting it dry and reapplying more squirt without having to do a full clean with mineral spirits, and this usually works 3-4x before it seems to get too gritty even after reapplication. I've tried to switch to the Silca NFS which is oil based but close to the same friction as wax and its holding up better in the rain, but not nearly as clean as wax even after wiping. Still trying to find that holy grail for PNW conditions thats clean, low friction, and water resistant while being lower maintence
Old 07-09-18, 08:45 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Squirt is what I use when I'm too lazy to do a full wax. Also what I use on my mtb, cuz I always forget to do anything to that bike until I'm walking out the door to go ride.
Old 08-20-18, 08:36 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I've still got the TT bug despite lots of official options evaporating nearby.

My power is up quite a bit and will be ripe for some PR attempts on my 10mi and 25mi times sometime soon. Even if just on my Strava segments I made.

For a clip-on bar setup with all the other gear (suit, helmet), is it worth it at all to tinker with trying to bag a 20min 10 mile TT? Or is the advantage in position for power and aero of an actual TT/tri frame just THAT much better that I'm going to be beating my head against the wall.

In the British TT forums and links to some events I've seen some out-back 10 mile rides sub-20min on less than 300w. Like as low as 270w or so. I'd assume that would be full on TT bike with kit, disc wheel, etc...

I guess I could always go out on a workout and get it up to 30 mph for a shorter period of time to get some data.

The data from my last 10mi suggested good aero and bad power output for the position.
Old 08-20-18, 09:52 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I've still got the TT bug despite lots of official options evaporating nearby.

My power is up quite a bit and will be ripe for some PR attempts on my 10mi and 25mi times sometime soon. Even if just on my Strava segments I made.

For a clip-on bar setup with all the other gear (suit, helmet), is it worth it at all to tinker with trying to bag a 20min 10 mile TT? Or is the advantage in position for power and aero of an actual TT/tri frame just THAT much better that I'm going to be beating my head against the wall.

In the British TT forums and links to some events I've seen some out-back 10 mile rides sub-20min on less than 300w. Like as low as 270w or so. I'd assume that would be full on TT bike with kit, disc wheel, etc...

I guess I could always go out on a workout and get it up to 30 mph for a shorter period of time to get some data.

The data from my last 10mi suggested good aero and bad power output for the position.
sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but those Brit TTs are massively aero assisted (by traffic from adjacent carriageway)

To do 30 mph at 300W would require CdA of 0.18. Highly doubtful you can get that low of a CdA with just clip-on bars
Old 08-20-18, 10:01 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Chappie! Where have you been?
Old 08-20-18, 10:39 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Gettin zef wit die antwoord!
Old 08-20-18, 11:33 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Chappie! Where have you been?
figuratively, old folk's home;
mainly just haven't been riding much due to moving, school work (now done), and injury. Now may be moving yet again (3rd time in two years). Hoping to do some ITTs and MTB races next year
how have you been @topflightpro? are you still in NC?
Old 08-20-18, 11:38 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
anyone run 25s on the front and 23s on the back? I don't think 25s will fit my frame (2015-ish supersix). There's very little clearance at the chainstays.

How much benefit would I get from switching from 25 to 23 just on the front? How much of the handling is your grip from the front tire?
Old 08-20-18, 12:19 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I notice absolutely no handling differences on 25 vs 23 when everything else remains the same. I notice quite a bit of difference going from a narrow rim to a wide rim, however.
Old 08-20-18, 12:27 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
I could run lower pressure on the front with the 25.
Old 08-20-18, 01:48 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by echappist
sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but those Brit TTs are massively aero assisted (by traffic from adjacent carriageway)

To do 30 mph at 300W would require CdA of 0.18. Highly doubtful you can get that low of a CdA with just clip-on bars
I appreciate your input, as I'd prefer have a realistic end-goal instead of pie in the sky. The first goal will be just take off a minute from the last official result.
Old 08-21-18, 10:05 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a follow-up from a previous discussion.

Built a new gravel/CX bike with Rival CX1. Lasted about a month before I re-built a buddy's busted eTap rear and bought some used eTap shifters.
The switch back to mechanical brakes was worth it to not deal with constantly fighting to get the shifting perfect.

(I'll admit this is probably an artifact of this frame, under BB cable routing was not ideal and caused extra friction.)
Old 08-21-18, 11:16 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Anyone on here done a ghetto tubeless set up for CX? I'm thinking of giving it a try for funzies.
Old 08-21-18, 11:33 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by caloso
Anyone on here done a ghetto tubeless set up for CX? I'm thinking of giving it a try for funzies.
Yes. It was a disaster.

I don't think I made it through one race/practice without burping.

I was running Mavic Aksiums with the Stan's Cross Tubeless conversion set up. I don't recall what tires.
Old 08-21-18, 12:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Ugh, that's not good. Was it a case of the bead not sealing up against the rim?
Old 08-21-18, 01:20 PM
topflightpro

Ugh, that's not good. Was it a case of the bead not sealing up against the rim?
Pretty much. It was fine if I was going straight. And it was fine if I was slow and careful through a turn. But at some point, I'd inevitably take a turn in such a way as to pull the cause a gap where a bunch of air would leak out.

There just wasn't enough pressure inside the tire to hold the bead to the rim.
Old 08-21-18, 03:03 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I was going to try tubeless on my Fast Forward wheels. I talked with the manufacturers rep and he said do not do it. The new FF wheels that are designed for tubeless tires have a different rim configuration and the current model is NOT compatible with tubeless tires. I am positive that riders have converted non tubeless designed rims to tubeless using a Stans conversion with success. I do not want to take the risk. If I want tubeless that much, I will buy a set of tubeless ready rims. YMMV
Old 08-22-18, 05:50 AM
topflightpro

My understanding is that the tubeless conversion works ok for the road, when the pressure is very high. But with cross, the pressure is too low to hold the tired to the rim.

I remember reading that tubeless conversions (and a lot of tubeless in general) works well when you have low volume/high pressure (road) or high volume/low pressure (mtb) but doesn't work with low volume/low pressure (cross). The new slate of cross specific tubeless tires and wheels may work better.
Old 08-24-18, 11:08 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
what does the rim bed profile look like? If there is a shoulder for the bead(1 or 3) its likely to work adequately with a couple wraps of tape, if not, all bets are off.

You can try the skinnystripper latex rim strips to help seal and prevent burping also. There are a couple posts about them in the rec cyclocross sub forum
Old 08-24-18, 11:49 AM
caloso

I've read a couple of articles. And watched the GCN video. One suggested that the Michelin Mud 2 was a good candidate and I already happen to have a pair. The wheels I was going to experiment with are Ksysium SLs, which are 19mm wide and already sealed, so it seems like the main thing is to build up the rim bed. I am intrigued by the skinnystripper strips though.
Old 08-27-18, 07:41 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I had bad luck with tubeless in cross last year. Both Ghetto (non-tubeless tires on tubeless rims "glued" in to place with mould builder) and traditional, proper setup. I burped and flatted on both set ups.

Never have had an issue mtbing over many years and many proper rim tire combos. And Tubulars never gave me troubles for cross (road a different story for another day).
Old 11-01-18, 09:35 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Can anyone explain the geometry of the steerer/fork and clip ons for a road bike? Like, how to make the steering less sketchy?

Is it in the pad width left to right or in the reach fore/aft?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.