Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Opinion on Topeak Racks and Trunks

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Opinion on Topeak Racks and Trunks

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 04:01 PM
curly666

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squidwalker
Looks great Curly. What are those things on your handlebars? Handwarmers?

I'm really looking forward to getting rid of the backpack. Even in the morning commute with it being chily out, my back is all sweaty from that thing. And after the ride home with a 20F increase from mornings, my back is soaked. That's the big thing driving me to get rack and bag, is to ditch the backpack.
Just not sure how best to handle hydration. Use a bottle in the holder on the frame, or get a small, Camelbak that's just the blatter. I'm just thinking that will still leave my back sweaty, especially come summer.
They're called Climitts, nice and warm, easy to break and shift and I usually don't have to wear gloves unless it's really cold and then usually a light pair.

https://bikewhenyoucan.blogspot.com/2...or-winter.html

Last edited by curly666; 12-03-12 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 09:09 AM
Squidwalker

Bikes: Trek Alpha 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my rack and bag yesterday. Pretty impressed with the quality and I love how the MTX rail system works so well. It seem pretty tight and solid once the bag is locked into place. Plenty of room for my lunch and misc stuff in the trunk, and a my clothes only fill half a panier. Fantastic. Just need to order one of their lights for the back of rack.
Only hitch was that one of the holes on the bike fram wasn't threaded. One of the ones for the bars that attach down by the rear axle. Kind of odd and annoying and of course the bolt wasn't long enough to stick out and put a nut on it. But no worries, there is an Ace hardware store near work, that has an entire "nut and bolt room". I know they will have something of the right diameter and length.
Old 12-07-12, 09:42 AM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Topeak explorer rack and the MTX trunk with the foldout panniers, let me tell you both are WORTHLESS PIECES OF JUNK! Ha Ha Ha! Just kidding! I love my Topeak system ! The rack and trunk are a match made in heaven! I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE TOPEAK SYSTEM!
Old 03-01-13, 11:08 PM
kryong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm considering to buy Topeak MTX rack and bag for my road bike (commuting). Typically, plan to carry lunch box and/or shirts and notes (maybe/maybe not a notebook). Topeak has 3-types of MTX rack and I wonder which type fits into my 26" road bike (size 54) (My seat post length where the rack can be installed is about 3 inch). E-type or V-type? It looks V-type would give better look, but I wonder it would give me enough clearance above rear wheel. Advice?
Old 03-02-13, 03:38 AM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Explorer rack and I like the rack except for mounting a tail-light. What the heck kind of lights are you guys mounting on the back and how?! I've tried cheapo Walmart lights, Bontraggers, and a couple of others but none of them mount up well on the rack. In fact, I lost a $36 Bontragger light off the rack.

What finally worked was a Serfas tail light with a rechargeable LI-ion battery that attaches on with rubber straps. As for bags, I found a set of saddlebags at a military surplus store that had lots more room than any Topeak bag and cost about 1/4 as much. I slip them under the middle part of the rack and I'm good to go.
Old 03-02-13, 09:21 AM
nashvillwill

Bikes: Globe Vienna 3 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a comment for anyone who stumbles across this thread. I have dics brakes, so I bought the explorer "disc" rack. It fits fine, but provided a whole lot of clearance. Too much really. I went back to REI, and tried the regular non-disc rack, and it fit fine. Didn't stick out as much. In the end, I kept the "disc" rack, figuring the extra clearance would hhelp keep the panniers out of the wheels, but I dont think it would make a difference. I guess it's less aerodynamic, but I don't really care about that anyways.
Old 03-03-13, 05:04 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Short version: well made, waterproof, panniers functional, big main compartment, lots of bells and whistles, and a nice value.

Long version:

I recently (mid-December) picked up the DXP on sale from Nashbar. I can't tell what the difference is between the DXP and the EXP, they look the same to me when I look at them online...? Nashbar had it on sale ($50), but I had done a lot a lot of research and pretty much decided on that one, but that clinched it. Mine's got the drop down panniers, and came with a water bottle holder that I'm half-tempted to cut off of it, because I'm almost positive I'll never use it. Same with the bungees and other netting across the top of it, I'm no weight weenie and not usually concerned about aerodynamics, but I'll probably never use these either and they're just catching wind up there. I only use this bag for commuting and it's basically overflow from my 17L Zimbale, so I don't really need the netting across the top and the water bottle holder is squished against my rack and totally extraneous to my needs. But, who knows? Maybe I'll do some long distance day rides and appreciate those features...

My first impression was that it was a little bulky for what it is. At first it seemed like they could have made them out of thinner materials. I was surprised at how light it is, despite its size and sturdy construction. It's really quite light, I've been struck by that the few times I've dismounted and remounted it and handled it empty. It's weathered a few good rains now, including a two and half hour ride through steady rain and I can confidantly say that it is completely waterproof. Part of this is no doubt due to their choice of materials.

I was surprised at how effective the reflective stripe is on it. I took a flash photo of my bike when I added some reflective tape to the frame and fenders and was scratching my head as to what that bright strip up front* was until it dawned on me. I'm at work right now, I'll upload the photo after I get home in the morning. IIRC, there's also a tab on it to mount a light, which is nice.

* I've got my bag mounted on my front rack, my commuter doesn't have a rear rack.

At first I thought I wouldn't really use the drop down panniers, but a couple of times they've come in real handy. If you decide to make an unplanned purchase or bring home extra clothes or something from work, they are nice to have. The drop down panniers work fine for me, but my Nitto front rack has a little post that I can hook them around, others might have to add a hook at the end of the pannier for it to work to stabilize it, but then again there's a good chance the load itself might keep it in place.

Since I don't one of the racks that interlocks with it, I chose the velcro version, so I can't really speak to how the Topeak quick release function works. I usually just leave it on my bike, since right now my bike goes from my living room to a cage at work. Occasionally I have taken it off and this is rather easy and only takes a few seconds. It maybe takes a minute to fasten to my rack. It came with a decent shoulder strap that I have taken to leaving at home most of the time. It also has decent swivels for attaching a shoulder strap to it.

Initially I was a little disappointed in the capacity of the side pockets, as they are almost completely taken up by the drop down panniers. I wondered why this would be, thinking they could be lighter, but after having actually used them realized that a big part of this was the fold out stiffener on the back of the pannier and the fact that they are made out of a waterproof material. There's a little bit of room to cram something in the side pockets while the panniers are folded, but not much. Deployed they are of reasonable capacity. On the small side of medium I'd describe it.

For myself the interior capacity of the main compartment is just a little bit frustrating as my pump is just a tiny bit too long for it. It just fits crosswise and angled from the bottom of one corner to the top of the far corner. Other than that, it's big and dry and in there. The fact that the interior fabric is bright yellow helps to find your gear in the dark.

What else can I say? The zippers all have double pulls, making them convenient. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try and answer them as best I can.
Old 03-03-13, 10:12 AM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have been running an MTX bag on my commuters for 3 years now and I'm very pleased with them. The quick track system is very reliable. I just recently purchased the rear basket for my bicycles for shopping and commuting.

Last edited by Timber_8; 03-03-13 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-03-13, 11:34 AM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I thought I would add to my previous post since I have some experience with the Topeak quick track system. The rack I use on my Hybrid has an integrated U lock storage built into the rack. I did make a modification to this rack so I could use it to also carry a Caridice pannier that i use on occasion pictured in the previous post. I have also mounted my MTX bag and opened it up so you can see the storage capability it has. I put a quart of paint inside it for scale. I hope you find this useful
Charlie

Old 03-03-13, 01:27 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not the best picture, but it's the one I have at the moment that helps show the reflective properties of the bag. I've got my DXP trunk bag on my front rack here:

I had just finished putting the reflective tape on the bike and just wanted to see how it turned out under the flash, the bag was incidental. I need to make some proper glamor shots now that the bike is almost finished, instead of in front of my cluttered rolling work rack! Interesting to see how much brake and road grime obscures the reflective stripes of the rear tire.

Also, the pump I mentioned just barely fitting in my post above is the Topeak Road Morph.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 03-03-13 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-03-13, 07:55 PM
TOTAL CONTROL
Banned.

Bikes: 2011 Jamis Hudson 4600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Topeak track & pannier system. I also have the side gaurds that keep the fully deployed pannier out of the rim.

This thing has been a god send for my work commute! I'm able to get the whole kit & kaboodle in there. I'm able to fit:

2X full size bath towles

Uniform shirt & slacks

Toilitry bag loaded with soap/toothbrush/toothpaste/full size bottle of mouth wash/nail clippers/hair brush & comb

Underwear, socks, & tee shirt

1) 2liter of diet Mt. Dew

& lunch containier

& THAT'S JUST THE BLOODY PANNIERS! In the main trunk I keep all my bike gear. Like my Parks Tool multi tool for on site quick fixes, rideing gloves (both heavy winter & RavX cycle style).

In the inner roof pocket I keep a shower cap to place over my helmet for sudden rain storms (I keep the grage door opener clipped to the rear of my helmet). On the top in the outter cargo net are my sunglasses & what ever else I need to lay hands on quick.

Now I've read a lot about what the hell to do with the bottle holder. Well I found a use for it & its not for water.

I think its called I gear maybe. I found it at my LBS & it cost about $30 & is the approx size & dimentions of a water bottle. But its an all in one flat kit. In it are two tire levers, shop rag, pathces & glue.......but the real show stopper for me was this kewl new (well new to me who's been out the cycleing loop for 13yrs), a C0'2 mini tank kit!!

No more having to struggle with mini pumps that NEVER get your tire to full PSI. So yeah.....I love Topeak.
Old 03-03-13, 08:01 PM
TOTAL CONTROL
Banned.

Bikes: 2011 Jamis Hudson 4600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh! FYI: for any one who is considering putting anything water bottle like in that rear compartment.......USE THE BUNGEE TO LOOP AROUND IT! When my rear wheel went over a hard bump my all in one kit went shooting out. So I found out the hard way the instruction on useing it are not B.S.
Old 03-03-13, 09:41 PM
sirtirithon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are well worth the money. Just understand the bags are not waterproof so you need the waterproof cover. Also to stop the rattle just use a small hammer and gently peen the rack retention rails in a few areas so they grip the bag tighter.