Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting at 3:30 am 18 miles into work

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting at 3:30 am 18 miles into work

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 01:18 AM
Timber_8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinjukan
You raised another valid point about those safety lights. My take on this is that not all cyclists know when to use which mode that their light(s) is/are capable of. I've encountered countless number of times those that are going on the opposite way in which they are either on FLASH mode, or worse, the CHASE mode with their lights. And it's way past sunset. I'm okay if there's still some ambient light as the flash is not that intrusive to the eyes. And what forces me to dismount and wait for them to pass by is when it's already dark and we're on a MUP (I'm giving the Schuylkill River Trail as example). I truly feel like I've just entered a discotheque without any booze! And my eyes still need a few seconds to get accustomed to my surroundings long after the flasher has gone by. For me, I use the Flash mode only on daytime. At night, it's the steady mode. I always put the other drivers into consideration that I'm sharing the road with. And I know other snob cyclists will brand me as a dork because I deck myself with lots of high visibility gear whenever I'm out on the road at night time -- safety vest, reflectorized ankle band with built-in lights, two rear lights (on steady mode of course), light-colored clothing and some passive reflectors on my bike frame. And of course I pay attention to those that I can't see like what's coming up behind.

When we talk about night riding at 3:30am, naturally I try to picture in my mind what the road looks like in my area. I don't live in the city so the road condition where I live is something like this. One may see a police car patrolling the area, but more often than not they're not in the same place at the same time. That makes it a bit unnerving if something bad were to happen, as those spineless drivers can just speed by and leave you on the road with whatever condition you're in. I think riding in the city is a different scenario, as there's some activity and a good number of people out by then.
I too am in the country, the road I use for my morning commute during the day time is extremely dangerouse. I don't even like driving it in a motor vehicle. The road is narrow & the speed is high for a country road. I find texting to be my biggest concern these days over any other distraction. I am very fortunate that all my bicycle routes have been freshly paved in the last few years. It makes for a smooth fast ride in either direction. I do have a mup I utilize for a short distance on the ride home but it yealds it's own set if problems. Dog walkers appear to be the rudest people I consistently encounter. You are correct about the inappropriate use of blinking lights and your assessment of when to use them is dead on. As far as the Fred look is concerned I don't care, I want to live & I have no interest in getting in a collision with anything, least of all a semi. I'm old enough not to care if my fashion for my comfort and safety offends another persons opinion.
Old 07-22-13, 10:26 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by squegeeboo
Are you guys using metric time or something? I've never even heard of 3:30am as a real time unless I'm still up from the night before.
For me, at the time, I worked in an Emergency Room. Staffing throughout the night tapers off to match the expected amount of patients, so we had people leaving work at almost every hour.

I imagine there are some people that close down bars or restaurants who don't get off work until about that time as well. I've worked with a few early birds who were often at work by 0430, so they must be up by around 3:30 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 11:26 PM
kingsqueak

Bikes: Surly Ogre // (old and gone) Cannondale ST400, Rockhopper Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you do see a car, make every assumption that it is a kid or a drunk, or both. Truly, that is mostly who is out at that time of the morning. The advantage is that it is a lot more obvious when they are there (vehicles), the down side is that the odds they are impaired in some way is higher. Just treat them as such.

When I was a kid I never understood while minding my own business at 3AM I always got stopped. At nearly 45, now I know why heh. Not many people have a normal reason they are driving at that hour.
Old 07-23-13, 01:28 AM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingsqueak
When you do see a car, make every assumption that it is a kid or a drunk, or both. Truly, that is mostly who is out at that time of the morning.
My experiences are much different.
99% of the people I encounter are shift workers commuting to work, or workers already in their work trucks. We see each other every single day. Same cars, same intersections, same time.
The kids and drunks do stand out, but they are few and far between.
Old 07-23-13, 01:35 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,680 Times in 4,076 Posts
Depends on closing time. In places where last call is 12:45 the roads don't seem as bad by 3:30 as in places where last call is 2:15. I've never ridden bikes at night in places I've been where last calls were 3:45 and never.
Old 07-28-13, 05:05 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingsqueak
When you do see a car, make every assumption that it is a kid or a drunk, or both. Truly, that is mostly who is out at that time of the morning. The advantage is that it is a lot more obvious when they are there (vehicles), the down side is that the odds they are impaired in some way is higher. Just treat them as such.

When I was a kid I never understood while minding my own business at 3AM I always got stopped. At nearly 45, now I know why heh. Not many people have a normal reason they are driving at that hour.
Originally Posted by stdlrf11
My experiences are much different.
99% of the people I encounter are shift workers commuting to work, or workers already in their work trucks. We see each other every single day. Same cars, same intersections, same time.
The kids and drunks do stand out, but they are few and far between.
I didn't see so many other commuters, what I usually saw was the occasional cop, and a handful of garbage trucks, but mostly delivery trucks. Not too many people driving civilian cars at 0400-0500 in my experience here. I didn't worry about drunks at that late an hour, but any sedans/SUV's driving erratically would've made assume they were. The only negative experience I had with other drivers at that hour was a guy in a big SUV who tried to run me over because he saw me planning on running a light (I was approaching it at 35+MPH right at the end of a long descent). I didn't think he was drunk, just an entitled jerk.
Old 07-29-13, 04:36 AM
Shinjukan
Enthusiast

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Sportif One.0, 2011 Cannondale Synapse 6

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
...The only negative experience I had with other drivers at that hour was a guy in a big SUV who tried to run me over because he saw me planning on running a light (I was approaching it at 35+MPH right at the end of a long descent). I didn't think he was drunk, just an entitled jerk.
This one. And like a virus, they mutate into different forms, all with the same intent of doing harm to vulnerable road users whether they really intend to or simply not paying attention.

But if you take away these dangers from the equation, I would agree as well that (very) early morning rides (commuting or exercise) do provide positive things. You can afford to zone out and formulate something in your mind to solve a problem, you can see first-hand if your "light fetish" is warranted into buying a brighter light, or you can simply ride the entire lane the way you want it. Maybe even for late risers once they feel their heart thumping to a good beat they'll gonna like those early morning rides too.
Old 07-29-13, 07:27 AM
shoemakerpom

Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix Carbon

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am starting to leave a little early on my Saturday commute (5:30am) and decided I need to have a better rear light so that all the cars and trucks on A1A would see me for more then a mile away. It took me a long time and lots of research to find it but here it is: https://www.serfas.com/products/view/143/refererroducts%7Cindex%7Clights%7Cusb-lights%7Cpage:2 If you don't already have it go and get it. I tested it this weekend in fog so thick you could only see about 20 feet in front and this worked just as advertised to make sure everybody behind me could see me.