Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless truth for road tires = big risk on bumps

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless truth for road tires = big risk on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 08:26 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I know that there are some tubeless tire and rim combinations that don't require sealant. I wonder if he was running sealant or not. My road tires are Hutchinsons and I run sealant in them. Small holes seal up remarkably well.
Old 04-17-19, 08:40 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't think that I've ever seen that claimed; if it has been claimed, it's by a very small, and very dumb, group of people - certainly not "countless" members.
I've never heard "immune to punctures" either.

The tires will still get punctures, but the sealant usually keeps the tire from going flat. That's my understanding of it anyway.
Old 04-17-19, 08:51 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Such an unbelievably dumb decision on his/their part. I really wonder what Vittoria will have to say as a response.
In retrospect the wrong decision but hard to classify it as 'unbelievably dumb' when he did well with the same setup the week before (which also include cobbles but not as many) and in recon rides on P-R. In summary, those wheels and tires worked fine in practice on the sames roads.
Old 04-17-19, 09:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
In retrospect the wrong decision but hard to classify it as 'unbelievably dumb' when he did well with the same setup the week before (which also include cobbles but not as many) and in recon rides on P-R. In summary, those wheels and tires worked fine in practice on the sames roads.
Feel free to interpret it how you'd like, but it's not changing my mind. Getting away with something stupid, 'specially with a small sample size, doesn't make it not stupid, IMO. Does blasting through three red lights without getting t-boned make it not stupid to blast through the fourth?
Old 04-17-19, 11:06 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Feel free to interpret it how you'd like, but it's not changing my mind. Getting away with something stupid, 'specially with a small sample size, doesn't make it not stupid, IMO. Does blasting through three red lights without getting t-boned make it not stupid to blast through the fourth?
I love armchair experts. You should publish the equipment setup guaranteed to produce a win with no punctures...
Old 04-17-19, 11:19 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Not just 25s, but Corsa Speeds, no less. 225g, and 1.7mm at the center of the tread, the thinnest tire the Rolling Resistance guy has ever tested. But sure, yeah, blame the fact that the tires were tubeless. Did he really think he needed the lowest rolling resistance tire on the market to ride over a bunch of loosely glued-together rocks?
Not only that...those tires have a reputation in reviews for being as fragile as tissue paper. Talk about asking for it.

What is more, everyone was having flats on tubs as well.
Old 04-17-19, 11:20 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I love armchair experts. You should publish the equipment setup guaranteed to produce a win with no punctures...
Awesome rebuttal and ironclad logic in extrapolating my comment. Kudos.
Old 04-17-19, 11:27 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
LOL......WhyFi does have a point regarding the setup
Old 04-17-19, 11:42 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
The 5-star cobbles on P-R are an order of magnitude worse than any other cobbles in any other race. No one pre-rides those sectors at race speed. No one. And certainly not following a wheel where you cannot see the road and cobbles ahead or in the thick dust of 100 riders and vehicles all going 25 mph. No coach or manager is ever going to allow his star to take that crash risk just for "re-con". (Plus it is so painful just to ride those cobbles, very few would do it voluntarily.)

The pre-rides and previous races meant nothing. The experience gathered over racing those roads the past century - everything. (And yes, all tires, even the best, can "puncture" at P-R. Having a tire you can ride flat until a good place to pull off for a wheel change could be a minutes saving blessing. Yet another reason not to ride clincher or tubeless.)

On punctures - I think of punctures as being from glass or debris, even sharp rocks, cutting through the casing (and inner tube if one). I suspect that is the minority of flats at P-R; that blowouts and pinch flats (and now "burps") are more common from hard hits on rocks and pothole lips that may or may not be sharp.

Ben
Old 04-17-19, 12:01 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Such an unbelievably dumb decision on his/their part. I really wonder what Vittoria will have to say as a response.
Agree. Almost to the level of mechanic malpractice. It's kind of an unbelievable choice of tire and size.

Isn't it Vittoria that's in a spat with Enve right now too?

J.
Old 04-17-19, 12:20 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Well in all fairness, Kristoff did say he took a BIG risk in his choice of equipment
Risk vs reward in this case, odd choice
Old 04-17-19, 01:44 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Well in all fairness, Kristoff did say he took a BIG risk in his choice of equipment
Risk vs reward in this case, odd choice
agree. Good way to phrase it. Big risk it was.
Old 04-18-19, 09:21 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Pros generally get good bikes with good parts. There is no guarantee that mere fact of being pro means your bike has best of best at all times. Agree with WhyFi. And not the least surprised that Kristoff got his bad decision past his mechanic and past his directeur sportif. There is a lot of chaos in racing. Chaos on the road and chaos where the mechanics work. The mechanics are not always the greatest. I've had ex-pro team mechanics work on my bike who are not allowed near the bike again. Not just one of them. Main job of a mechanic is to stay awake, accept crazy hours, low pay. When an exceptional mechanic appears - as Ernesto Colnago or George Noyes - everyone knows it.

Pros are once again mostly on tubulars. Lots of pro racing has been done on regular clinchers with tubes. Through the 90s and the aughts it was usually only team captain who got the tubulars. And sometimes the captain declined and used what everyone else was using. Clinchers from twenty years ago were not as good as what we can all have now if we want. Tubulars of twenty years ago flatted a whole lot more than current tubulars. Tires available now are very significantly better than they have ever been.

If you spend some time in the sport sooner or later you will have an opportunity to acquire ex-team bikes. Some of them are great bikes and great bargains. Some of them are a mess. They were raced while being a mess.
Old 04-19-19, 09:54 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I wonder if he's using the term "puncture" as a catch-all for "flat" - because, yeah... anything that would puncture a tubeless tire enough to cause it to lose noticeable PSI or totally flat, would absolutely flat a "regular" tire.

Perhaps the hard hits were burping the tire - losing big chunks of pressure with each burp. A tube obviously won't burp... it'll pinch flat.
The pros are using tubulars which don’t pinch flat.
Old 04-19-19, 10:38 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
As has been pointed out, tubulars can pinch flat, just not as easily as clinchers.
Old 04-20-19, 07:02 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Yes... they do.
Old 04-20-19, 07:11 AM
noodle soup

I would like to see a list of all the tires used in the Paris-Roubaix
Old 04-20-19, 07:45 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Me too! In general, I'm surprised how little the commentators talk about equipment. I mean, if I had to call a 4-hour race... at some point, I'd run out of **** to talk about and start in on the bikes. Especially on Paris Roubaix!
Old 04-20-19, 07:59 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Closest that I could find was Cycling News and their tech report for most races. Peering through the 101 images shows mostly tubulars, many 30 mm.

Paris-Roubaix tech gallery: 101 images from the Hell of the North | Cyclingnews.com

Old 04-20-19, 08:26 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Closest that I could find was Cycling News and their tech report for most races. Peering through the 101 images shows mostly tubulars, many 30 mm.

Paris-Roubaix tech gallery: 101 images from the Hell of the North | Cyclingnews.com
It wouldn't surprise me if most Schwalbe sponsored teams were using the 30mm G-One Speed tubular.
Old 04-20-19, 06:35 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Fifty years ago Paris- Roubaix was mostly raced on tubulars 26 to 30mm wide. In 2019 Paris-Roubaix was mostly raced on tubulars 26 to 30mm wide. Might just be that tubulars 26 to 30mm wide are optimum for Paris-Roubaix.
Old 04-20-19, 06:38 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Not just 25s, but Corsa Speeds, no less. 225g, and 1.7mm at the center of the tread, the thinnest tire the Rolling Resistance guy has ever tested. But sure, yeah, blame the fact that the tires were tubeless. Did he really think he needed the lowest rolling resistance tire on the market to ride over a bunch of loosely glued-together rocks?
read the article carefully

Kristoff didn't use the Corsa Speed. He used the normal Corsa TLR in 25c (290g). His wheels, the Bora WTB, have a 19mm wide internal width, and are designed with 25c or 28c tires. Now you could in hindsight argue he should have used the 28c tire, which weighs 310g. But given that
1) they've had great sucess with the 25c, so they stuck with it
2) since Kristoff had 3 flats, which is a lot, there would still stand a good chance that the issue might have happened with the 28c too

Think of it this way, if the mechs went with the 28c and got flatten (say twice), then they stand a great chance of getting shafted by the DS why they didn't stick with the 25c (which up then was proven).
Old 04-20-19, 08:47 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Pros don't run clinchers. They run tubs.
Truth. There is no way a PR rider is going to be on clinchers, tubeless or otherwise. It is not just the safety liability when you do have a flat, but the susceptibility to pinch flats, the almost 100% certainty of damaging the rim hooks, and the insurmountable weight handicap.

Tubulars are superior in every respect to tubeless even when applied to a regular race stage. But for a rider to be on clinchers/tubeless at PR is stupidity of the highest order. I assume the support team were all fired for such a blatant lapse of judgment.
Old 04-21-19, 01:12 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
It would need to be taken with a grain of salt, given the rebranding by team sponsors:

(Gee, which Maxxis model is this? )
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-21-19, 07:57 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Truth. There is no way a PR rider is going to be on clinchers, tubeless or otherwise. It is not just the safety liability when you do have a flat, but the susceptibility to pinch flats, the almost 100% certainty of damaging the rim hooks, and the insurmountable weight handicap.
No matter how many times you mention this, it's just not true. I've seen hundreds of flat spotted wheels that needed rim replacements, and only a handful of them had any damage to the hooks(and most of those were on mountain bikes). Maybe this was a common problem when you last used clinchers, but it's very rare these days. Yes it does happen occasionally, but it's nowhere near as common as you claim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.