Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Plans for a 2-tier bike rack. What can you add?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-06-19, 12:28 AM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 112 Posts

I'm always on the hunt for a more efficient shop storage. One area I haven't improved on is bicycle storage. I've been using the same 'ole hook in the joist technique since the beginning and although it is space efficient, I know there are better methods. As I'm considering what to do, in walks a set of plans for a 2-tier bike rack through a bike list serve I am on. Not only are they free plans with good details, but plans that are continually being updated and evolving (currently on V.3.0). Most exciting? They come from the small, but mighty, bike co-op in my very own town of Corvallis, Oregon from the great people at the Corvallis Bicycle Collective (CBC).

Linked are plans for instructions. These are also attached for those who cannot access the Google Doc.
A couple images are also added below. One is a slight spin off from the original plans built by another member of the list serve and the other is a not-so-great-shot of a version 1.0 (or perhaps 2.0) in the CBC shop.

One element I have thought may be useful is to make the bottom level of bikes slide out, like a giant IKEA kitchen drawer. Heavy duty sliders would be needed for this but I believe it could be accomplished with some ingenuity.

What does your 2-tier bike rack look like?

What can you contribute to this post or the plans?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CBC-12_bike_display_rack.pdf (1.33 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by The Thin Man; 05-06-19 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-06-19, 12:31 AM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
If you want the bottom to roll out, just make a platform on casters that fits under. It will be much better at handling the weight and not binding due to flex. Pretty common in stagecraft. If you don't want to come all the way out, add a couple of stops to trap it in there.
Old 05-06-19, 01:11 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
Link to plans??? Not working

Old 05-06-19, 08:14 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 278 Posts
I would imagine accessing the top tier would be a pain. For all of my regular riders (which need easy access) I have hooks in the wall so every other bike hangs vertically against the wall from the front wheel, and others sit on the floor, facing out. It's the densest, but most accessible setup I could manage. I'll post pics tonight.
Old 05-06-19, 08:34 AM
The Thin Man 

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Link to plans??? Not working
Try that, @JoeTBM.
I was hoping linking to a Google Doc wasn't a problem so long as permissions were set properly. If it fails to cooperate, I can PDF it and attach it to the thread.
Likes For The Thin Man:
Old 05-06-19, 08:37 AM
The Thin Man 

Originally Posted by jeirvine
I would imagine accessing the top tier would be a pain. For all of my regular riders (which need easy access) I have hooks in the wall so every other bike hangs vertically against the wall from the front wheel, and others sit on the floor, facing out. It's the densest, but most accessible setup I could manage. I'll post pics tonight.
I would imagine you are correct on the top level.
The slider/caster concept in my original post would be an attempt to mitigate that by allowing easier access to the bottom level. I would envision the top level would likely be best reached with a small step stool (hanging ladder?) and only bicycles that are needed very infrequently placed there.

Please do post your images, @jeirvine!
Old 05-06-19, 09:57 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by The Thin Man
Try that, @JoeTBM.
I was hoping linking to a Google Doc wasn't a problem so long as permissions were set properly. If it fails to cooperate, I can PDF it and attach it to the thread.
Thanks, that would be helpful.,😀
Old 05-06-19, 09:58 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Try that, @JoeTBM.
Great, I'll download it from home later, thank you
Old 05-06-19, 10:16 AM
The Thin Man 

Thanks, that would be helpful.,😀
No problem!
I edited the original post to also include the plans as an attachment.
Old 05-06-19, 01:33 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 707 Posts
Built this one last year to hold overflow of bikes and other items for storage.

Last edited by malcala622; 05-06-19 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 03:59 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Offset every other slide for even more space:
Old 05-06-19, 05:00 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
My local transit station has these upper racks that pull down so you load the bike up at floor level and then hoist the whole thing back up with some mechanical advantage. If you don't need to be able to lock your bikes in your garage you can probably put them closer together.

Old 05-07-19, 02:29 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Try that, @JoeTBM.
Nice, but I need a more dense storage area, I'm thinking that by reversing every other bike (front wheel in first) that the space between bikes can be reduced.

Old 05-07-19, 04:34 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
Nice, but I need a more dense storage area, I'm thinking that by reversing every other bike (front wheel in first) that the space between bikes can be reduced.
Be sure to mock up your design before you commit. I have my bikes 'packed tight' like that, one level, using front wheel stands. OK for the front wheels facing outwards though you have to be particular about pedal position as the cranks rotate as you slot them back into place and they all get tangled if you're not careful.

For the bikes with the front wheels towards the back, the handlebars in the front are so close together they obstruct the handlebars of the others. No worries as I can lift the others up and over as I slide them out before playing in the sun. BUT this may be tough on the lower level if the next level is too low, insufficient clearance for the bars and front wheel. Also tough on the upper level to just lift them high enough. Watch ceiling clearance and upper body strength. NO, I would not attempt this while standing on a bench or ladder.

A friend has this problem with his LBS type racks. The upper level leaves too little air space to slot bikes in on the lower level. The upper level is too high to slot bikes comfortably - need to reach up pretty high to get it done, with your pretty bicycle trying to fall over and bash the ones beside it until you get it secured. Oh, no 'heavy' bikes on the upper level. Only those less than 15lbs (ya, right).
Likes For Prowler:
Old 05-07-19, 04:46 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by Prowler
Be sure to mock up your design before you commit. I have my bikes 'packed tight' like that, one level, using front wheel stands. OK for the front wheels facing outwards though you have to be particular about pedal position as the cranks rotate as you slot them back into place and they all get tangled if you're not careful.

For the bikes with the front wheels towards the back, the handlebars in the front are so close together they obstruct the handlebars of the others. No worries as I can lift the others up and over as I slide them out before playing in the sun. BUT this may be tough on the lower level if the next level is too low, insufficient clearance for the bars and front wheel. Also tough on the upper level to just lift them high enough. Watch ceiling clearance and upper body strength. NO, I would not attempt this while standing on a bench or ladder.

A friend has this problem with his LBS type racks. The upper level leaves too little air space to slot bikes in on the lower level. The upper level is too high to slot bikes comfortably - need to reach up pretty high to get it done, with your pretty bicycle trying to fall over and bash the ones beside it until you get it secured. Oh, no 'heavy' bikes on the upper level. Only those less than 15lbs (ya, right).
All good advice, thanks

Old 05-07-19, 07:04 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 278 Posts
I would imagine you are correct on the top level.
The slider/caster concept in my original post would be an attempt to mitigate that by allowing easier access to the bottom level. I would envision the top level would likely be best reached with a small step stool (hanging ladder?) and only bicycles that are needed very infrequently placed there.

Please do post your images, @jeirvine!
Here's a lousy cell phone pic.

Old 05-07-19, 07:31 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Got to admit when I read the title I was thinking of some type of double decker Blackburn rear rack.