Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Scary occurrence and the dangers of fresh asphalt

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 08:25 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Yesterday, as I was coming home from a ride, a very dangerous and surprising thing happened to me:

At the end of my road there is a hairpin turn that drops at probably something close to a 20% grade. I love dropping into this turn at high speed, braking hard, then accelerating hard out of it, trying to see how fast I can go. (I often end up tailgating cars, lol.) I've done this turn like this hundreds of times now, but yesterday everything went wrong.

As I was dropping into the turn, my rear brake locked up, and the tire broke loose! I let go, and try again, and it happened again! Repeat, and there was just no slowing down without the rear tire losing traction, risking me doing an endo, or spinning out into oncoming traffic (there was actually no one in the other lane). So I bailed into a nearby driveway which luckily happens to be right at that corner.

I got off the bike and looked at the rear tire, and it was covered in bits of gravel and other crap and looked oily, and I suddenly remembered having crossed a patch of fresh (I mean put down in the last couple hours) asphalt about a mile or so back. Some oil or other crap had gotten on my tires, drastically reducing their grip, thus the rear breaking loose as it was unloaded on the downgrade!

Home was about a half mile away, and when I got there, and rolled the bike across the grass, grass clippings stuck to my tires! I had to clean them off with OMS because whatever had gotten on them was still sticky and greasy, and probably still dangerous.

The lesson: WATCH OUT FOR FRESH ASPHALT! Even a couple miles later, the residue can still mess with your tires and traction!
Likes For Wheever:
Old 05-24-19, 08:35 AM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
I learned this lesson the hard way 28 years ago. Went down hard doing 18 - 20 on a curve... Broken collarbone and lots of road rash.
Likes For Igotdibs:
Old 05-24-19, 08:39 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
It is seldom the obvious thing that causes problems. The obvious can be allowed for. It seems to be a contradiction but we need to expect the unexpected. Glad you lived.
Old 05-24-19, 08:40 AM
noodle soup

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I've had a similar wreck, turning left off of fresh pavement, where the front wheel slid out and sent me sliding across the oily old pavement. That left some nasty road rash on my calf + hip, and tore up the palm of my left glove.

This is why I always wear gloves,.
Old 05-24-19, 08:41 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Not a problem here in SoCal, they don't repave the roads anymore! Fresh pavement you say? WUZZAT? <laughs quietly, sadly>
Old 05-24-19, 08:41 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Igotdibs
I learned this lesson the hard way 28 years ago. Went down hard doing 18 - 20 on a curve... Broken collarbone and lots of road rash.
Mine was 9 years ago, to the day.
Old 05-24-19, 09:36 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Get your braking done before you turn in. No trail braking on a down hill turn, it un-weights the rear. The fastest way to stop is all front brake. You cannot skid the front tire in a straight line on pavement, it's over the bars.
Old 05-24-19, 09:39 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by popeye
Get your braking done before you turn in. No trail braking on a down hill turn, it un-weights the rear. The fastest way to stop is all front brake. You cannot skid the front tire in a straight line on pavement, it's over the bars.
This is good advice, but in my case there was no braking involved.
Old 05-24-19, 09:50 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Bits of gravel and oil, sounds like chip seal, not asphalt. That is the worst to ride over after it's been freshly laid, because all they do is put down a layer of oil then spread gravel chips over it. It can be loose and squirrelly if it's not been swept, or an oily mess if there's not enough chip. I never ride over that stuff (if I can help it) until it's been swept several times, and has had traffic drive over it for a while to pack it down.
Old 05-24-19, 09:54 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Accelerating at high speed out of hairpin turn down a 20% grade.

Do you slam dance, bro?
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-24-19, 10:30 AM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
This is good advice, but in my case there was no braking involved.
I agree it's good advice, no braking involved with me either. Fresh asphalt is oily on the surface. In my case it was like going into a turn and hitting black ice... in July.
Old 05-24-19, 10:34 AM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I often end up tailgating cars
I try not to do this, but if it's close, best to follow in wheel tracks, as you never know what surprises that cage has straddled in front of you
Old 05-24-19, 12:43 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Put all your wieght back and hardly any chance of going over the bars for newbies it simply means putting your ass as far back as it will go past the seat and hold the bars tight very effective for stopping with little back brake at all
Old 05-24-19, 01:13 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Thanks for sharing, it's logical.......but I wouldn't have thought of that until too late either!
Old 05-24-19, 07:47 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I don’t push it on down hills. Mistakes are too costly for the bike and the body.
Old 05-24-19, 08:58 PM
BassManNate

Bikes: Motobecane Strada Ltd. 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had something similar happen years ago but it involved walking across a freshly paved road in flip flops.
Old 05-24-19, 09:05 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
That reminds me of Joseba Beloki's crash on hot tarmac in the 2003 TdF.

Old 05-25-19, 06:27 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by colnago62
I don’t push it on down hills. Mistakes are too costly for the bike and the body.
+1

Once you get out of the flat lands, controlling speed, is more important than achieving high speed.
Old 05-25-19, 06:37 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Yesterday, as I was coming home from a ride, a very dangerous and surprising thing happened to me:...

As I was dropping into the turn, my rear brake locked up, and the tire broke loose! I let go, and try again, and it happened again! Repeat, and there was just no slowing down without the rear tire losing traction, risking me doing an endo, or spinning out into oncoming traffic (there was actually no one in the other lane). So I bailed into a nearby driveway which luckily happens to be right at that corner.

I got off the bike and looked at the rear tire, and it was covered in bits of gravel and other crap and looked oily, and I suddenly remembered having crossed a patch of fresh (I mean put down in the last couple hours) asphalt about a mile or so back. Some oil or other crap had gotten on my tires, drastically reducing their grip, thus the rear breaking loose as it was unloaded on the downgrade!...

The lesson: WATCH OUT FOR FRESH ASPHALT! Even a couple miles later, the residue can still mess with your tires and traction!
I also had a serious encounter with warm, though not fresh tar:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I arrived back at the start with 90 miles so I decided to complete the century. I went down a busy treeless road for a couple miles, but turned back and rode into Chelsea to take a picture of their landmark clocktower. Soon afterwards I had my crash at 94 miles.

I was immediately assisted by some bystanders who claimed I was KO’ed for a bit, and the ambulance and police soon arrived...

Wha’ happened? I was riding about 5 mph on the main street, and on that road surface were these strips of tar, the policeman called “tar seams,” apparently a cheap fix for cracks. In the 90 degree heat they became soft and sticky and grabbed my tire, and since I was going slowly, one pulled me down.

The officer said that they had also received complaints from motorcyclists about these tar seams...

I didn’t take many photos, and none on the road, but here’s a sample; note the tar seams on the street in the picture of the clocktower:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...As the ER nurse said to me, It couldn't happen in a better place than this small town with helpful bystanders, capable paramedics and police,and a hospital with emergency room.

I never thought of tar seams as a road hazard, and I intend to post about this, probably to the commuter forum, as a PSA, though they were hazardous to me because I was going slow...
Old 05-25-19, 06:55 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Motorcyclists refer to the tar seams as "tar snakes".
I had my first scary encounter with one on the motorbike when I was negotiating a hairpin turn in Estes Park, using the hilly road past the medical center in order to avoid the middle of town which is always clogged with tourists. I'd taken it numerous times before, but on this particular day, it was warm enough to soften the tar. The rear tire abruptly slide out, and I was able to maintain control, but my underwear suffered minor damage.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 05-25-19 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-25-19, 07:56 AM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Accelerating at high speed out of hairpin turn down a 20% grade.

Do you slam dance, bro?

Lol. No, you misunderstand: the turn itself is steep as snot, and the hunk of road dropping into it, but once you get out of the turn, it's basically a pretty straight 5% or so before it levels out and starts twisting again. After scrubbing speed to get around the turn, *that's* when I accelerate, on the last part of the steepness. Usually goes fine. Just not this time.

It's always my favorite part of my ride, and I burn up all I can sprinting because it's the last half mile before home.
Old 05-25-19, 07:59 AM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
That's what I was doing, on the drop in, just like I always do. Never had any problems before.
Old 05-25-19, 08:00 AM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
I try not to do this, but if it's close, best to follow in wheel tracks, as you never know what surprises that cage has straddled in front of you
Good point.
Old 05-25-19, 08:04 AM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Bits of gravel and oil, sounds like chip seal, not asphalt. That is the worst to ride over after it's been freshly laid, because all they do is put down a layer of oil then spread gravel chips over it. It can be loose and squirrelly if it's not been swept, or an oily mess if there's not enough chip. I never ride over that stuff (if I can help it) until it's been swept several times, and has had traffic drive over it for a while to pack it down.
No, it was asphalt. It had just gotten my tires so oily and sticky, crap on the road--and the gravel driveway I bailed out into--was stuck to them. Even the grass clippings were sticking to them. It was unreal. I had to clean my tires with OMS to get them looking clean and not oily again.