Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Unremovable (?) Brake mechanism...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 12:44 AM
MidAtlantian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The side with no obvious way to remove the brake mechanism.

The side with the hex bolt: easy to remove.
I have an old Muddy Fox mountain bike. The rear brake mechanism is different on the left and right sides. One is secured by a conventional hex head bolt. The other side has no (obvious) way to remove it. I am looking at a flat metal surface with perhaps a 0.5mm round edge. I can see that the frame has the same arrangement on both sides; that is, that it is probably screwed into, but do not see any way to remove the mechanism. Help!

Last edited by MidAtlantian; 06-03-19 at 12:47 AM. Reason: May have passed "10 posts" requirements to include photos!
Old 06-03-19, 02:21 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
I think i can see a cap on the pic with the “round thing”. Try prying it off. It might
reveal an allen bolt.
Likes For Kovkov:
Old 06-03-19, 06:20 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 2,304 Posts
It would be a shame if someone had ground down the bolt's head after installing it. One could try a screw remover (Easy Out) if conventional methods fail. Andy
Old 06-03-19, 08:28 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Perhaps the head sheered off during a removal attempt, though it looks like it was ground down (or rounded over by vise grips). Maybe it's time to get out the drill and EZ-Out. Use some penetrant and allow it to soak in before you try. The threaded part of the bolt is probably 6mm so use a suitably sized bit and be careful that you drill in straight to avoid damaging the boss threads.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 06-03-19 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-03-19, 08:35 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Do check the cap idea, or even that what you are looking at might be some crud-filled socket head.

Failing that I'd wonder about filing off the head, pulling off the arm, and then trying vise grips on the stud.

But does it really need to come off? Or can you work with what is there using new pads, cables, whatever.

You could also take apart the bolted side and see if you get a sense of what you are dealing with. I guess it is possible it was originally some kind of peened rivet and the bolted side is the one that has been reworked.

What's the situation on the other end of the bike?
Old 06-03-19, 10:33 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
I keep a small pair of sharp, curve jaw vise grip (genuine Vise Grip brand) pliers for just that kind of thing -
That looks like enough meat left for them to grab - I'd have it out in a jiffy with those, no drilling needed.
Buy a new bolt, after.
Old 06-04-19, 05:04 AM
MidAtlantian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a mess!

Hi,

Kovkov was not so far off - but far enough. Whoever did this was ... um... a combination of adaptive and incompetent. The flat surface i was looking at must have been a sort of sheet metal rivet. I was able to pry it off, but it fell apart in the process. Inside of that, it looks like the former "mechanic" lost the bolt, or trashed the threads, and put in a combination of thin self tapping screws to hold the mechanism on - and I was not able to get them out. In the end, I too did a bad job and simply hammered the new mechanism on. It feels as if it will not come loose, and unless I try to brake while rolling backwards, there are no forces on it that would pull it off. (hehe). This is for the back brakes, and most braking usually comes from the front, and this is a bike I use "on occasion". But I am not really pleased with the outcome. I will find another thin self tapping screw and a large washer to help restrain the mechanism from .... falling off.

Certainly, I have never seen anything like this!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
Old 06-04-19, 05:39 AM
MidAtlantian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to mention that after the small screws had been tightened into the larger whole, the ends had been cut off. I suppose that was to leave a small hole to hammer the body rivet into .
Old 06-04-19, 10:51 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Wow! Good luck.
Old 06-05-19, 11:21 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by MidAtlantian
Hi,

Kovkov was not so far off - but far enough. Whoever did this was ... um... a combination of adaptive and incompetent. The flat surface i was looking at must have been a sort of sheet metal rivet. I was able to pry it off, but it fell apart in the process. Inside of that, it looks like the former "mechanic" lost the bolt, or trashed the threads, and put in a combination of thin self tapping screws to hold the mechanism on - and I was not able to get them out. In the end, I too did a bad job and simply hammered the new mechanism on. It feels as if it will not come loose, and unless I try to brake while rolling backwards, there are no forces on it that would pull it off. (hehe). This is for the back brakes, and most braking usually comes from the front, and this is a bike I use "on occasion". But I am not really pleased with the outcome. I will find another thin self tapping screw and a large washer to help restrain the mechanism from .... falling off.

Certainly, I have never seen anything like this!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
Well, at least the fact that it is the rear brake means that it only has to keep it on the post, not resist forces trying to push it off. Would be a whole other story on a front brake.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 06-05-19, 12:18 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Well, at least the fact that it is the rear brake means that it only has to keep it on the post, not resist forces trying to push it off. Would be a whole other story on a front brake.
Until you have to stop facing up-hill.