Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano blocking shipping

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shimano blocking shipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 08:08 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Does aliexpress have better buyer protection than ebay?
I wouldn't expect it to the degree that eBay is involved, plus there is overseas shipping. But you can reach out to the same sellers via eBay for the most part. You just pay an additional 9% or so.

Using the right credit card, you receive basic protection against fraud and defective or not-as-advertised products, security protection in case of delivery theft, and return protections that will refund your money in the case that the seller refuses to accept returns in accordance with the terms of accepting the card payment. You must look into the protections afforded by your card(s). That is where a premium card really pays for itself.

I've yet to have a problem with any Aliexpress transaction, if that matters at all. I'm a low volume buyer. But if you're buying a full bike's worth of Shimano groupset, frame, handlebars/stem/seatpost, Shimano or Jagwire cabling, and higher-end wheelset, there are significant savings to be found there.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-12-19, 10:48 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Does aliexpress have better buyer protection than ebay?
Ali is the Wild West. Storefronts close and re-brand to dodge IP lawsuits every day of the week, abandoning and leaving orders hanging, but Ali IME sides with the buyer and you get your money back.

Of course....the only way you know that a storefront has gone belly-up is when your order doesn't ship for 2-4 weeks, and you go to look up the storefront and Ali tells you it was deleted by the owner. Do you mind not having your money for 2-4 weeks only to find the order is never coming and you wasted your time?
Old 06-12-19, 10:15 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Merlin is an interesting case - I kind of wonder what's going on with them. As far as I can tell, they will still allow US buyers to purchase Shimano. I wonder if they're somehow grandfathered in and are running through their old stock, or if they have a different workaround?
Old 06-16-19, 02:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
Thank you all for the ones who posted useful comments. However, this post about whining was not useful.
Yeah not sorry. Someone has to stick up for those of us in the industry who work hard and are tired of being undercut all the time by online sellers.

As far as not being able to get stuff I find that tough as I can probably get you most anything you would need. Really the few things that can be harder to come by are some Shimano dynamo hubs but if I was in a cash crunch I would go Shutter Precision and if not SON is way better.
Old 06-16-19, 06:23 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Sine SRAM is even worse (MAP etc.), it will be hard to boycott both if you want modern drivetrains (and brakes).

The alternatives are not better or cheaper. Like box or sunrace.

KMC and Sunrace are good chain and cassette options that will get my money.
Ditto for Sunrace. I just priced two Shimano Cassettes i need to build a corncob 9-speed 11-19 cassette and then I priced the Sunrace ones. Sunrace came it at half the price of the Shimano ones and the Shimano ones were NOT high end.

I find Shimano getting a bit pricey.

Cheers
Old 06-17-19, 06:23 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Ditto for Sunrace. I just priced two Shimano Cassettes i need to build a corncob 9-speed 11-19 cassette and then I priced the Sunrace ones. Sunrace came it at half the price of the Shimano ones and the Shimano ones were NOT high end.

I find Shimano getting a bit pricey.

Cheers
More so...but for reference, an Ultegra R8000 cassette online might be say $70USD on Amazon. A Campagnolo Chorus 11s cassette will be $130+.