Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie Requests Advice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Newbie Requests Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 07:30 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Go ahead. You're now on my ignore list, so I won't see it.
Huh. He cut and ran.

Years back I taught school. The whole tit-for-tat thing was beginning to feel like a middle-school mean girls snit in the bathroom. I don't enjoy the web-forum version of that nonsense, but backing down is not part of my psyche.

Anyway, I've said my piece on finding the balance between budget and riding needs. So I'll move on.

Here's hoping the OP (who has not logged back in since her original post) finds what she and her fiance' need to get on two wheels and enjoy it.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 06-20-19, 10:35 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
So much... advice here.

OP is kind of in a tricky position. For their own bike it shouldn't be too big a deal - 170 lbs and 5'4 are pretty normal dimensions. A box-store bike + proper assembly/tune-up could work out well. Those bikes are generally not too robust so there should be some plan or effort to keep up with maintenance like wheel truing and bearing adjustments as the bike breaks in.

But 6'3 and 300lbs are outside of the design intent of WM bikes. Bearings will fail quickly, seatposts will bend or the seat clamp will fail. And they won't fit properly to begin with because they are 'one size fits most'. So OP's fiancé will be riding an uncomfortable bike in increasingly poor condition until they get sick of it and decide it's not for them. A properly fitted bike from a bike shop will start around $400 or so, but this is probably money much better spent.

This discussion makes me think of guitars. You can go to a guitar shop and buy a $200 entry level guitar that is reasonably well set up, or you can but a $69 guitar on Amazon (or from Walmart) that either hurts your fingers or your ears when you play. You are likely destined to put the $69 guitar away and forget about it because it's no fun, telling yourself that it's a good thing you didn't buy the $200 guitar, even though you likely would have found that one more enjoyable and less difficult, and be more likely to keep at it.

The other thing to think of is resale value. If you buy a $400 bike shop bike, you can possibly unload if for $250 next Spring if you decide you don't like it. A $90 bike from WM has little to no resale value.

Remember the phrase: 'Penny wise and pound foolish'
Old 06-20-19, 06:39 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
I would get a sixthreezero bike, try the bike fit tool. You should be fine.
You know, I had never heard of sixthreezero bikes. They produce some different looking rides.

Also, I did the online fitment tool. That was an interesting exercise in self-examination...

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...