Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Club blocking the MUP

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Club blocking the MUP

Old 06-19-19, 07:44 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
And there you have it. By not stopping, making eye contact, greeting and then discussing the courtesy issue, the OP incited an anonymous reaction from somewhere within the group. By personalizing and engaging an individual who would speak for the group, you'd get a better, more cooperative response. It's unlikely that the group comprises all sociopaths. They're likely husbands, brothers, and sons to someone with whom they've been cooperative before.

Referees and law enforcement folks know this...
Yeah bro.
I’m sure in the same situation you would stop and first ask which individual is available to speak for the group. And at that point then open a discussion with him.
Of course not until as you say, you would personalize him by exchanging names
Old 06-19-19, 08:46 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
About 45 minutes ago I was getting onto our local MUP from the park. As I approached I saw a big clot of cyclists, I guess a club ride, stopped on the MUP. Some of their guys had apparently stopped to use the restrooms in the park and this main group was waiting for them. There was plenty of room off to the side that they could have occupied. I couldn't actually ride onto the MUP and had to stop and push my bike around this mass. I made a comment about stop blocking the whole MUP and was rewarded by some rude comments and then finally as I got loose and rode away the ever popular "F U" was heard from behind. Well, thanks for making the tail end of my pleasant ride part of your anger. Sigh.
You were in the right up until you made the comment. After that NOBODY was right. Next time, call ahead just like you would when coming up on a group of pedestrians from behind - or if you were doing 65 on the highway and came up on an active construction zone.

The point is you were thinking like a person operating a vehicle, but had the ability to navigate the obstruction without incurring or causing others an injury by also becoming a pedestrian yourself. They were pedestrians on a trail that is to be shared for walking and riding. Granted, they shouldn't have been standing or parked in the middle but I believe we're all taught what to do when we learn to drive: yield to pedestrians.

FWIW I've done just about the same thing when passing or coming head on toward people walking or riding 2 or 3 abreast. I see now I was being an @$$#0!3. Thank you for educating me.
Old 06-19-19, 08:51 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I meant for standing off the paved trail. I learned last year that the grassy area off the pavement can and does hide hard deep ruts left over from utility trucks driving along when the adobe soil is soaked after a rainstorm. That clay is very soft when wet but hardens up when dry as I learned by riding off the pavement slowly to avoid a toddler who was, well, toddling. Down I went. That was last year, this year I wanted to avoid doing that again.
Our trails back east are pretty much like that all spring. I don't have a road bike but I could see your concerns. That's why I like riding a hardtail during wet/cold weather. That's probably why many hybrids resemble mountain bikes too; to navigate hazards around MUPs.
Old 06-19-19, 09:30 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
There is some first rate wacky reasoning going on in this thread. Allow me: DON'T BLOCK THE PATH.

This scenario has already been visited as there are posted fines, and police give tickets when someone blocks the roadway. Even in the event of an accident, you're still "required' to clear the intersection. Similar laws apply to sidewalks and paths.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 06-19-19, 11:20 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Not only clubs do this, recreational cyclists just stop in the middle without pulling over and so do drivers.

How many times have I seen a car pull into a driveway of a parking lot and then just stop? How many times have I seen cars stop in the middle of a parking lot right on front of parking spaces? How many times have I seen cars parked with their harzard lights on at the no parking/ fire zone sign in front of a store blocking the path for all the other motorists when there are parking spaces feet away?
I dunno, just how many times have you seen this terrifying, life threatening behavior? I hope you were were able to avoid a crash or at least were wearing your helmet properly to save your life under such an unexpected threatening scenario if not.

Do you always, usually or never chastise those evil motorists for stopping somewhere that is outside the approved lines.
Old 06-19-19, 11:36 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Did you ring your BELL?? Do you even carry a bell?? Pffft
Old 06-19-19, 11:52 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Expecting a group of humans to act in a manner consistent with 'appropriate protocol' is likely overly optimistic. Cyclists or otherwise. Elitist or slobs.

Wanting to 'spank' an unknown couple of individuals on the Internet for inhibiting progress around the public restroom area on a MUP seems juvenile.

First world problems of privileged people...…….. sheeesh.

YMMV, and that's ok, too. Some people want join in on a public spanking.
Old 06-19-19, 02:54 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 320 Posts
Bye
Old 06-19-19, 06:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm going to defend human nature a bit here because there always seem to be a bunch of posters who go on about MUP behavior being ***versally bad. Every once in a blue moon I encounter something like that described in the op, but for every one of those, I have hundreds of people who will thank me for announcing my pass. Once in a while, I even have to tell someone they don't need to apologize for walking or riding two abreast, I am just letting them know I'm there so they won't go to the left in front of me. Most people are either nice or just cooperative without any fuss. This is true on urban, suburban and rural paths I have been on.
Old 06-19-19, 06:32 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
sounds like Iron Horse..

Occasionally I get lost in the laf/morinda (sp?) area and spot the trail and use if briefly until I remember where I am... I have seen the samething... peloton of riders going 20+ on a weekend.. I was like ..really dude crazy.
Old 06-19-19, 06:34 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
One reason I avoid MUPs.
Me too. We all know the road is devoid of idiots.
Old 06-19-19, 06:43 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Yeah, that is exactly the same kind of thing.
+1 Thx, didn't know how to say that politely.
Old 06-19-19, 08:21 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I dunno, just how many times have you seen this terrifying, life threatening behavior? I hope you were were able to avoid a crash or at least were wearing your helmet properly to save your life under such an unexpected threatening scenario if not.

Do you always, usually or never chastise those evil motorists for stopping somewhere that is outside the approved lines.
Absolutely. Otherwise they wouldn't know what they did wrong. Those lines are there for a reason. Or as I proclaim, they're not street decoration. When you ignore them you put pedestrians in danger.

I figure the least I can do is remind them that they're "out of line", and doing something either illegal and/or dangerous.

Besides, the more times someone gets away with something without chastisement the more likely they'll will be to repeat it. That's just human nature. The negative reinforcement helps to curb that behavior.

Last edited by KraneXL; 06-22-19 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-20-19, 05:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Bye
Bye 'til next time!
Old 06-20-19, 06:04 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
If those were motorcyclists they would all be on Harleys.
Old 06-20-19, 06:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Just ride through and knock over a few bikes as you do it.
Old 06-20-19, 07:09 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'm going with they "don't know any better" because I've seen it so frequently that it doesn't really warrant remarking on. And it truth, if the MUP is a nominal park shared with pedestrians, they're sometimes just doing the same thing they'd do in any other park. Standing around, oblivious, wrapped up in doing their own thing and not even thinking about blocking someone's thru-way. I can't get annoyed at them.

An organized group might be expected to know better, if the group has any real leader, but the individuals maybe not. I'd be tempted to roll up slowly and ring my bell, or call out "bike coming through please", and likely as not those blocking will be embarrassed as they realize what they're doing. It works like that with the vast majority of small groups of people, even when they're not actually blocking the full path. I suspect that after a few times of that happening, the offenders either learn better or abandon the area, because you see less and less of it later on.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 06-20-19, 07:25 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Never had much of a problem with groups of cyclists blocking the MUP, it’s usually families with several children riding assorted toys/bikes. However, I frequently experience peletons of wannabe TDF riders bombing down the MUP at speeds too fast for conditions, usually 20+ mph. Got bad enough to where the local heat started zapping em with lidar for exceeding the 15mph limit. From what I saw they didn’t often pick on lone riders unless they created a hazard, but focused more on the peletons of hammerheads from local groups, complete with TT bikes and aero costume.
Old 06-20-19, 07:50 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Much better than having them riding towards you taking up the whole path, like a local MTB group that is generally 30 riders strong likes to do while staring at their front tires.
Old 06-22-19, 05:31 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Rude cyclists give all of us a bad name.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 06-22-19, 06:11 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bikehoco
Rude cyclists give all of us a bad name.
Then its up to you...and me, to get the word out that "one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch. There is a lot of good, and bad in everything people do.
Old 06-22-19, 07:04 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Club blocking the MUP
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Much better than having them riding towards you taking up the whole path, like a local MTB group that is generally 30 riders strong likes to do while staring at their front tires.
Or conversely as described on this thread, “Fewer Riders Announce?”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by Spinay70
I have noticed that when i am out riding and get passed by a 'serious' rider, they rarely announce. I have also seen them buzz past unsuspecting walkers without a word.

This past weekend i spied a 'serious' rider approaching fast in my rear view and they ended up zipping by without any word...and quite close as well.
Originally Posted by Aahzz
I just headed out to our local-ish MUP for the first time this year a couple days ago. I love riding it, because it's a welcome break from my hilly and traffic-filled neighborhood, but the number of "serious riders" buzzing us on road bikes without announcing is irritating as heck.

It takes so little effort to announce, or to ring a bell - just have a touch of courtesy. I tend to be about mid-paced for the trail - I pass a lot of slower riders, and I get passed a lot. I always announce, and usually get thanked for it.

Ride fast, ride your ride, but be courteous. My favorite was on a ride last year when not only did he buzz me with about a foot to spare, and no announcement, he spat to the side after he got in front of me and it blew into my face.
From the now closed thread. “On Your Left”:
As a mirror wearer, I like to wave if I see a cyclist coming up from behind, and say hello when they get close, with the intention of (gently) surprising them before they surprise me.

An upcoming paceline makes me think of a school of piranhas.
… Rte 4/225 from Lexington westward is one of my favorite long (about 70 miles) training rides from Boston; and then I return by way of Harvard.

Last year, for about 3-4 hours along the route, starting in Boston, I was passed by wave after wave of strong riders on the B to B Harpoon ride going up to Vermont.
Old 06-22-19, 08:04 AM
Spinay70

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
What in the wide wide world of sports is goin on around here?

Spinay70
Old 06-22-19, 05:38 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
No taser on a group of people on bicycles being rude. A taser does not work on a group. You should know this. You need bear spray for this.
So I need a weapons belt in order to ride the MUP? A taser for 1/1 and a selection of chemical agents for negotiating the pack? Or, I wonder if Cabela's is selling tactical handlebar bags?
Old 06-22-19, 06:28 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This thread is great.

A quarter of the people on this thread are full of bluster and another quarter are full of crap.

You claim to have actually tazed cyclists?

-Tim-
And the remaining 50%?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.