Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

My first Tri... Cape Henlopen, DE, 9/28

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 05:49 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

What a day. I'm wiped and giddy and still riding a little wave of endorphins.

Today was the Cape Henlopen Tri in Delaware... 1/4mi swim, 15mi bike, 5K run. Or so I thought... The tropical storm offshore made for some nasty conditions in the water, and the organizers killed the swim early this morning. I was a little bummed that I had been putting all this effort into my swim and wouldn't get a chance to test myself, but with a little reflection I realized that my first ocean swim probably shouldn't be under crappy conditions with 8-foot surf.

After getting all settled in transition and getting the news about the swim, I threw on the running shoes and warmed up a little for what would now be my first duathlon... It was around this time that Daremo came by and said hi--very cool to have at least one familiar face. My med school classmate Matt, now a cardiologist, was also there, so I got to catch up with him. It was also his first race. I was in the 2nd wave to start, and as soon as the race started I realized I was way outgunned on the run. I started at a moderate pace, which for me is a 9-10 min mile, knowing that the bike leg and another run were yet to come, and I was left behind by a huge mob of easily 100 racers. Greeeeat. I kept running along and quickly realized that I just needed to settle in, run MY race, and get to T1 ready to inflict as much damage as possible on the field on the bike split. The belief in my riding ability kept me going.

And after a mile and a half of running along with my nerves at full throttle and my legs still not, I come into T1. I don't think I've ever been that happy to see my bike.

I fumble around and grab my sunglasses, quickly realizing that leaving them in my helmet facing up was a bad idea. It had been misting all morning, it was incredibly humid, and I couldn't see a thing. So I take them back off and wipe the lenses in my towel. After a little more fumbling, I get my shoes on and grab the bike headed out of T1. I hit the mount line and realize that I hadn't practiced a running mount, so I just stood there and clipped in. Then it was off to the road.

This course was flat, fast... and wet. Luckily the opening mile or two was completely free of turns so I could just focus on settling in. I started pedaling and immediately I'm cruising along and picking off riders, which inspires me to get into more of a rhythm and pick off even more. I hesitated to go flat-out because I knew the 5K run at the end would get me--the bricks had not been kind and there was no reason to believe that would change.

The course took me through downtown Lewes, where there were a few more turns, and a drawbridge with a nice wet metal grate. And rather than keep a steady speed and coast across, people slowed down. Bah. A common misconception, that one. Speed is good here. Then I found myself pinched behind a car that was passing some slow riders on a fairly busy road. I dropped my pace to about 16mph for several minutes and got a little annoyed. Finally managed to sneak around the car and get back into a rhythm.

There were several turns on the course, and while I took them slow by crit racing standards, I was able to pass 2-3 people on each turn given the wet conditions. Kind of a bonus, I guess. One after the other I was picking off riders, and when I saw the numbers of the wave that started 5 minutes ahead of us, I was even more psyched. I was making up some serious ground!

I roll into T2 with what ended up being a 21.4mph bike split, 70th overall. Could've gone a little faster, but my anxiety about the run kept me from going too hard. I was kicking myself for not using my Forerunner to keep an eye on my HR--I feel like I could've improved that time quite a bit.

After more fumbling in T2 and stopping for a drink, I set off on the run feeling like death warmed over, just like the feeling of my brick workouts. And as in the bricks, it took a good mile before I felt normal again. I settled into my rhythm, such as it is, and enjoyed what was really a beautiful run around Cape Henlopen. The scenery helped take my mind off the post-transition blah feeling too.

The last 300m or so of the race is across a grassy field back to the transition area. I saw the crowd assembled in the chute, and then I saw the finish line. It was at about that point that I got this ear-to-ear grin that just wouldn't go away. I dug deep and managed to sprint it out with a guy who snuck up behind me--not even in my division, but hey--it's the finish line.

So, the final result was 1:27:17... here's the breakdown:
Run 1.5 Mile 0:14:15 293
T1 0:01:41
Bike 14 Mile 0:39:12 70 Rate: 21.40
T2 0:01:25
Run 3.1 Mile 0:30:46 290 Pace: 0:09:56

Nothing too impressive, but quite the accomplishment for me! In July, just finishing a 5K at that pace was a victory!

So, the things I learned:

1. I really need to work on transitions. Not that it would've made a huge difference, but I easily wasted almost a minute in each transition fumbling around. I need to practice T1 and T2, and it hadn't been a part of my training.

2. I think I'll add some run/bike bricks into my training to cover this eventuality. I didn't really feel ready to start with a run, and I think it took more out of my legs than a swim would have.

3. I really should've worn my Garmin. It's great to have in training to make sure I'm keeping my legs turning over and watching my HR to know I'm not blowing up. I feel like I could've pushed harder across the board had I known what my body was doing.

4. You can make up A LOT of ground on the bike.

5. My run needs help. I've built up a decent base training for a 1/2 marathon this October, but I'm desperately in need of a little speed work. Relative to my bike, my run is awful.

6. I had a blast, and am totally a convert to the world of Tri. The field was very cool and supportive, I love the fact that folks from all over the spectrum were competing in the same event, and I found myself idolizing the older AG racers who were still out there going strong into their 60's and 70's. It's really an inspiration, and I hope I can be standing on that podium when I turn 70!

7. It takes a while for the post-finish grin to wear off.

And thanks most of all to my wonderfully awesome wife, who had work yesterday and has more work tonight, but still drove out in our 2nd car to be with me for my big day, and to take pics, all while 20 weeks pregnant! She rocks.

Last edited by DrPete; 09-29-08 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-28-08, 06:52 PM
Flak
Flatland hack

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good stuff pete. Running will come to you....especially as you get lighter and lighter from the cross training.
Old 09-28-08, 07:21 PM
Raerfani
Obsessed

Bikes: 08 Giant OCR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nicely done sir! Awesome review on the bike part, I can vividly see getting passed up on my entry level giant by some doctor on a P2C! What tri suit are you sporting?
Old 09-28-08, 07:56 PM
Qrtrly Prophet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome. To the Dark Side.
Old 09-28-08, 09:16 PM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Congrats again, and a great write up! Sounds for sure like an awesome start to your multisport career. A bit of running encouragement for you: I started training for last season as a new runner, 10+ minute miles. Now as season 2 comes to a close my personal best 5k is 8:22 and I'm closing in on 8 (now if I can replicate that in a tri ). Just stick with the running, it will come.

Thanks for giving props to the spouse, they are the true unsung heroes of the sport. My wife wrangled two kids under the age of 3 for a good half day at the races when I did my first 1/2IM this past Spring, and still had it together enough to unveil custom T-shirts she had made them for the event, talk about multisport!!!
Old 09-28-08, 10:58 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!!! Congrats and welcome to the dark side.
Old 09-29-08, 08:23 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Raerfani
Nicely done sir! Awesome review on the bike part, I can vividly see getting passed up on my entry level giant by some doctor on a P2C! What tri suit are you sporting?
Thanks...

The tri suit is a 2XU Endurance--I think it's their entry-level model. I absolutely love it. In fact, I like doing my pool swims in it. Maybe it's just placebo, but it does seem to lend some tiny bit of stability/buoyancy on the swim just by itself.

Just ignore the flab.

Old 09-29-08, 10:32 AM
Bob_Chase

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCR C3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go Doc! Great race and report. You rocked it.

I guess the only question I have is: what do you like more? Crits or tri's?
Old 09-29-08, 11:01 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_Chase
Way to go Doc! Great race and report. You rocked it.

I guess the only question I have is: what do you like more? Crits or tri's?
Crits have their appeal, but I love that for 95% of the folks out there, tri is all about beating yourself rather than anyone else. Being a very mediocre athlete who racked up a bunch of pack finishes in crits, Tri makes it more fun to be a mediocre athlete IMHO because you're always out to beat your own best without being at the mercy of the idiots sprinting for 37th place.
Old 09-29-08, 12:04 PM
Bob_Chase

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCR C3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
tri is all about beating yourself rather than anyone else.
That was the appeal for me. As much as I would love to race, I didn't get into cycling until I was 34. With 2 little kids at home, it probably wouldn't be the responsible thing to do. Tri's were the next best thing to scratch that competitive itch.

But I'd be lying to you if I told you I wasn't trying to catch that guy 50 ft ahead of me coming down the home stretch.

Good luck in your future races. It sounds like you're hooked.
Old 09-29-08, 12:56 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_Chase
That was the appeal for me. As much as I would love to race, I didn't get into cycling until I was 34. With 2 little kids at home, it probably wouldn't be the responsible thing to do. Tri's were the next best thing to scratch that competitive itch.

But I'd be lying to you if I told you I wasn't trying to catch that guy 50 ft ahead of me coming down the home stretch.

Good luck in your future races. It sounds like you're hooked.
When I got to the finish, there was a guy, not even in my division, gaining on me. I made brief eye contact with him and we both broke into a sprint for the line. By timing chips I beat him, but I think he finished a hair ahead of me. Either way we shook hands and congratulated each other. So I know what you mean.

I totally understand the lack of desire to race road bikes. Here in this region, it's quite competitive, and for those of us with real jobs to go to on Mondays it can get pretty dangerous. Amazing the stupid risks people are willing to take to win a stinkin' Cat 4 race.

So yeah, I'm hooked.
Old 09-29-08, 01:22 PM
edbikebabe
runnin' down a dream

Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
The tri suit is a 2XU Endurance--I think it's their entry-level model. I absolutely love it. In fact, I like doing my pool swims in it.
I guess you're a doc, so you've probably got some cash... But using your tri suit in the pool will seriously shorten it's lifespan. Mine comes out for races only.

*edit* Congrats on the race. Without the swim, the most fun part is gone. So sad.
Old 09-29-08, 02:31 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by edbikebabe
I guess you're a doc, so you've probably got some cash... But using your tri suit in the pool will seriously shorten it's lifespan. Mine comes out for races only.

*edit* Congrats on the race. Without the swim, the most fun part is gone. So sad.
Ah... I didn't know that. Thanks--I was just kinda using it all the time... I don't have THAT much cash.
Old 09-29-08, 05:20 PM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Swim rule #1, Chlorine is the enemy! - I found out the hard way - it's tough when you discover your tri shorts are almost transparent...during a race
Old 09-30-08, 12:10 PM
RoadToad
Flatman

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NIce work, son!
Old 09-30-08, 12:12 PM
blonduathlongrl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
when I first started doing duathlons a few years back I also learned really quick the importance or being faster while in transition.
it's amazing how many can finish before you for even one minute difference. ( time you lost in transition for not being quick enough)

I still do them and do crits and raod races too but there is an atmosphere in duathlons that you dont quite see in crits, which is everyone cheering you on, that can go a long way.
those ARE fun and quite additive.
congrats on your first duathlon!