Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Weekend Trail a Bike Ride Report!

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 07:56 AM
deburn

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Bighorn 1.3, 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2013 Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had a great time Saturday riding around Boston with my soon to be 5 y/o. He only started riding bikes this year but hasnt ridden his own bike since I bought a TAB a few months ago. He loved it from the beginning and we've had some great rides but this one has been the best.

We parked near the Longfellow Bridge in Cambridge and rode to Harvard Square. From there we rode to the Back Bay for a kids fair - Gerard got to use the siren in a police car - he also had a long chat with the officer that I wish I could have heard!

Then we rode to the North End and Charlestown to get under the Zakim Bridge and see the locks that control the Charles River and play on the "sound tubes" there. Back to the car for a total of about 12 miles which is by far the longest we've done - and he seemed to have quite a bit of energy left. Andyesterday we did the Walk for Autism. I was esp glad about the bike ride - it was cold both days too...

Attached pic is from last week
https://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/IMG_0024.jpg

PS: How do you show the image right side up?
Old 10-20-08, 09:24 AM
RoadToad
Flatman

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's an awesome photo! We have had some great rides on ours...
Old 10-20-08, 11:39 AM
deburn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks RT! Next step is to learn how to ride sans training wheels and move up to his next bike! A 6 speed Trek 60 I bought cheap off CL a while back! Of course the TAB rides will continue as long as he wants to...I've already been thinking of getting a tandem but I know that's a long way off

Originally Posted by RoadToad
That's an awesome photo! We have had some great rides on ours...
Old 10-20-08, 11:45 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
What a smile! What great memories you're creating with your son. These are the best things in life. Wonderful.
Old 10-20-08, 08:01 PM
deburn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks caloso! The encouragement i get, on this sub-forum esp, means a lot to me. My friends w/kids who ride bikes live too far and the ones that live close by dont do this kind of thing or dont have kids. And I'm freshly divorced so creating great memories takes on more urgency and importance. Thanks BF!!

Couldnt help posting another pic

Originally Posted by caloso
What a smile! What great memories you're creating with your son. These are the best things in life. Wonderful.
Old 10-23-08, 12:55 PM
kdabbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love permagrins like that! I bought a TAB in September to do school commutes with my 5 yo. I swear, she sings nearly every time we go on it

Now, if only I can get her to have as much fun and confidence on her own training wheel mounted bicycle.
Old 10-24-08, 06:51 AM
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a great ride! Check out the threads about teaching to ride without using training wheels. I'll bet he'll take to it quickly and easily.
Old 10-26-08, 01:59 PM
deburn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Fibber. I did see those threads - now I just have to figure out how to remove the pedals!
Old 10-28-08, 08:19 AM
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is easy enough to remove the pedals, but you may need a wrench that is thin enough to slip in between the pedal crank arms and the pedal itself. 15mm is a common size, although some bikes may be different. Right side (chain side) is right handed threads (righty tighty, lefty loosy), left side uses left handed threads (opposite normal convention).

Did you see this thread? Getting the crank arms completely out of the way makes it even easier (and safer...) for your son, although it is more work for you.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=464081

Steve
Old 10-30-08, 12:11 AM
sunflowerflyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing he will remember this for some time to come.
Old 11-10-08, 04:26 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
20 miles Saturday, 1st out to Target to buy a bday gift for a friend of my 7 yr old, then back home to wrap it, then out to the party. Actually I think it was 14 miles T-A-B-ing it, about halfway to the party my front brake cable snapped. The party was uphill from there so we just rode on up and didn't need that much braking. I left him there, rode back into town to find LBS to replace the cable, then back to the party (that was my 6 solo miles), then home. Glad the cable broke when it did, wouldn't want to ride downhill from the party to home w/ only my rear brake for those 3 wheels.

You try and look like a normal person on a bike so it seems like a normal mode of transport, but I show up at the party, sweating like all get out from that climb (and I can't talk my kid into spinning a low gear, he wants to mash the big one 2-3 strokes per minute, it seems like...), then I need to take off to get the brake cable replaced, I don't think any of the other parents stopped their minivan on their way home from the party to pick up a trail-a-bike...

(apologies for hijack, was wondering if this was just a general weekend report thread...)
Old 11-10-08, 07:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We rode to the playground Sunday afternoon. Here's a little video of my son on his BMX and my daughter on the back of the trailerbike: