Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Help Me Out Here

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Help Me Out Here

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 09:27 AM
concerned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help Me Out Here

After coming across yet another "Share the Road" sign, I decided to finally seek out the reasoning behind this mentality. I'm not trying to provoke anyone, believe me. I am certainly not trying to upset anyone who has lost a friend or loved one in a bicycle-related accident. My heart goes out to those of you who fit that description, truly. I also don't intend to imply that all cyclists fit the below descriptions. I think (hope) these are only a very small minority of cyclists.

Here goes- I just simply don't see any inherent right for people to ride slow moving, man-powered vehicles on streets designed for automobiles. In my experience all around the country, bicycles on motorways are dangerous obstacles not only for the rider, but for drivers as well. In suburban Atlanta (where I live and work), I often see cyclists (in full tights with no packs or anything to suggest they are commuters) pedaling along during rush hour on everything from four lane divided highways where people routinely drive 65 miles per hour to crowded surface streets. I always ask myself the same question: with so many designated parks, paved cycling trails, etc. all over the area, why do these people choose to hinder others' ability to get back and forth to work while putting themselves in danger? There's nothing scenic about metro Atlanta roadways. There are a plethora of opportunities to get exercise cycling in this area that don't involve putting people in danger and making a terrible traffic situation worse than it already is. I just can't understand the reasoning. Truthfully, it seems very self-centered to me, whatever the reason.

As for the "Share the Road" mantra, my response is, respectfully, "Why should I?" If I decided to drive my riding lawnmower to work and back every day, should I expect drivers of more appropriate vehicles to accommodate me with a smile? How about a unicycle? A donkey? What is so special about bicycles? The only effect of the "Share the Road" campaign I can see is that it seems to have inspired an entitled sort of mentality where some cyclists are all too quick to make idiotic choices, while pinning the responsibility for those choices on motorists. Frankly, I'm a bit tired of it. I am hoping someone here can point out some line of reasoning that will make me understand these things better and ease my frustration.
Old 06-26-15, 09:42 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Simply put, the right to free travel has been around since forever. Muscle powered transport is the one kind of transport that can't be taken away from people. In fact it's generally considered to be a right. Driving a car is not a right, it's a privilege and CAN be revoked by society.

That includes donkeys btw. Yes, people are allowed to ride quadrupeds on the roads and frequently do around here.

Roads are not built for car drivers, they're built for the common good. This includes all uses, transportation of goods, commuting to work, recreation, etc, regardless of the type of vehicle people choose to use.

Most of the roads in the US were actually built to get goods to market, not for people to drive around, so you could make the same argument about passenger cars "getting in the way of" trucks hauling goods.

Nobody's asking for special privileges, we're only asking for the same rights as anyone else who is paying for the roads.

Your argument about "trails available in parks" and such is a complete red herring. It presupposes that bicycle riders are just out joy-riding and have noplace to go. I personally ride every day, about 30 miles, and I'm just going to work and back, or running errands. I haven't ridden a single foot just for fun in years. I'm just going to work and back, or to the store, same as you.

The argument about bicycles "being self-centered" is ludicrous. In fact the only reason that bicycling on the road is dangerous is that CAR DRIVERS are self-centered. Think about it. They think the road is there FOR THEM and nobody else. They think that taking up 10 seconds of their PRECIOUS TIME is intolerable compared to the safety of others on the road. They think that because there are more of them, that means that everything should therefore be built and used ONLY BY AND FOR THEM.

When car drivers and cyclists all obey the law, everything is fine. Things get dangerous when either does not. Car drivers break the law practically ever moment that they're in a moving car, but all they can seem to talk about is cyclists breaking the law.

BTW "Share the road" signs are no longer recommended. It has been found that car drivers interpret that as "That means that cyclists should get the hell out of my way." Instead most states now direct that "Cyclists may use full lane" in conjunction with sharrows as appropriate be installed instead.

On a personal note, the reason I ride is environmental. Every time I get passed by an SUV, I think "I'm doing this to make up for what you're doing." I may not make much of a positive difference, but at least I'm not making a negative one.
Old 06-26-15, 09:58 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by concerned
Here goes- I just simply don't see any inherent right for people to ride slow moving, man-powered vehicles on streets designed for automobiles. In my experience all around the country, bicycles on motorways are dangerous obstacles not only for the rider, but for drivers as well.
Many of the problems stem from drivers thinking they have the sole privilege to using roadways. There is, in fact, no more of an "inherent right" to use a car than a bicycle (the law grants both equal rights to use the roadway).

It doesn't usually take much effort beyond some basic care and patience to deal with cyclists.

People who are not able to deal with it might not be competent to drive.

...(in full tights with no packs or anything to suggest they are commuters) ... why do these people choose to hinder others' ability to get back and forth to work...
This is a double standard. No one restricts driving to commuters.

Truthfully, it seems very self-centered to me, whatever the reason.
You don't have any problem with drivers being "self-centered".

In suburban Atlanta (where I live and work)...
Drivers in Atlanta (the city) don't seem to have much regard for pedestrians (anecdotal) let alone cyclists. Maybe, part of the problem there is local culture.

https://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...s_history.html

I always ask myself the same question: with so many designated parks, paved cycling trails, etc. all over the area, ... There are a plethora of opportunities to get exercise cycling in this are...
These (usually) are not "cycling trails". They are "multiuse paths" (MUPS).

Unless you are riding very slowly OR if they are empty, they tend not to be good places to ride at all (even less so for cycling for exercise). And the other users (runners, walkers, dog people, people with children) don't really want cyclists on them. They also tend to be too short. Keep in mind that a 25 mile bicycle ride for exercise is a short ride.

...while putting themselves in danger...
There were around 33,000 motor vehicle deaths (in 2013) and around 740 cycling deaths. Clearly, there are many more people driving cars for longer periods but driving isn't exactly safe.

The risk of death might not be any worse than being in a car.

As for the "Share the Road" mantra, my response is, respectfully, "Why should I?"
Because it's the law?

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-26-15 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-26-15, 10:01 AM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We cyclists allow you and your gas-guzzling, carbon-emitting death traps to share our roads with us and you see us as self-serving? Roughly 30,000 Americans die every year in car accidents and you complain about human-powered vehicles? Are you also a climate-change denier? Do you not understand that climate change is threatening all life on the planet?

What's the real problem? Is your drive delayed for like 5 seconds until you're able to pass a cyclist? Did it ever occur to you that what's really slowing you down is all the damned cars in front of you? Drivers, not cyclists, are what you keep hearing about when you listen to the traffic reports. If more people cycled, there would be less traffic.

Cars are a nice convenience but they've caused all kinds of problems. Our country is rampant with obesity and the associated costs of healthcare. We have pollution; we have high auto insurance costs; we have people killed. Our streets used to be a gathering place for people to meet. Now they're used to drive around without meeting or talking to anyone. You might call driving an anti-social activity. Driving has destroyed our sense of community and it has alienated us from each other.

But, go ahead ... blame bicycle riders for your suffering. If you really want to "ease your frustration", hop on a bike, get some exercise and get out in the fresh air. It does a body good.
Old 06-26-15, 10:02 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
it's amazing riding in a country where people don't have these crazy ideas. 4 years ago, I rode halfway across France, and not once did I come upon someone who couldn't handle passing a cyclist. It simply isnt that hard. I have 4 decades of riding here in the U.S., and other than people who think they know better than me about riding a bicycle, I really have not had any conflicts with people. Yeah, sometimes you have to brake for a cyclist, but there isn't an absolute right to going as fast as possible between two points.

Oh, and OP, please stop driving. Your self-centered approach to road use is obviously incompatible with a shared resource such as a road.
Old 06-26-15, 10:07 AM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Concerned:
You can couch your response with "I'm not trying to provoke anyone" and "my response is, respectfully" but your rant reeks of entitlement. "It's my road, get your damn bicycle off of it." "I pay road tax and you don't", etc.

All cyclists have the legal right to use the road unless specifically prohibited. Get over it.
Old 06-26-15, 10:16 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Here goes- I just simply don't see any inherent right for people to ride slow moving, man-powered vehicles on streets designed for automobiles.
While the roads are designed to also handle automobiles, and trucks, roads are not exclusive to automobiles or trucks or any other form of travel... such as livestock.

California Vehicle Code:
21759. The driver of any vehicle approaching any horse drawn
vehicle, any ridden animal, or any livestock shall exercise proper
control of his vehicle and shall reduce speed or stop as may appear
necessary or as may be signalled or otherwise requested by any person
driving, riding or in charge of the animal or livestock in order to
avoid frightening and to safeguard the animal or livestock and to
insure the safety of any person driving or riding the animal or in
charge of the livestock.

concerned, you need to get over your mental block that roads are only for cars... that is simply not true. It's a myth, a lie, a falsehood!
Old 06-26-15, 10:24 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After coming across yet another "Share the Road" sign, I decided to finally seek out the reasoning behind this mentality. I'm not trying to provoke anyone, believe me. I am certainly not trying to upset anyone who has lost a friend or loved one in a bicycle-related accident. My heart goes out to those of you who fit that description, truly. I also don't intend to imply that all cyclists fit the below descriptions. I think (hope) these are only a very small minority of cyclists.

Here goes- I just simply don't see any inherent right for people to ride slow moving, man-powered vehicles on streets designed for automobiles. In my experience all around the country, bicycles on motorways are dangerous obstacles not only for the rider, but for drivers as well. In suburban Atlanta (where I live and work), I often see cyclists (in full tights with no packs or anything to suggest they are commuters) pedaling along during rush hour on everything from four lane divided highways where people routinely drive 65 miles per hour to crowded surface streets. I always ask myself the same question: with so many designated parks, paved cycling trails, etc. all over the area, why do these people choose to hinder others' ability to get back and forth to work while putting themselves in danger? There's nothing scenic about metro Atlanta roadways. There are a plethora of opportunities to get exercise cycling in this area that don't involve putting people in danger and making a terrible traffic situation worse than it already is. I just can't understand the reasoning. Truthfully, it seems very self-centered to me, whatever the reason.

As for the "Share the Road" mantra, my response is, respectfully, "Why should I?" If I decided to drive my riding lawnmower to work and back every day, should I expect drivers of more appropriate vehicles to accommodate me with a smile? How about a unicycle? A donkey? What is so special about bicycles? The only effect of the "Share the Road" campaign I can see is that it seems to have inspired an entitled sort of mentality where some cyclists are all too quick to make idiotic choices, while pinning the responsibility for those choices on motorists. Frankly, I'm a bit tired of it. I am hoping someone here can point out some line of reasoning that will make me understand these things better and ease my frustration.
It is a thought-provoking question. Which is a good thing.

Those same roads that you claim were designed solely for automobiles. Were originally designed for bicycles, not automobiles. Cyclists' are not 'hindering' motorists' ability to get to, and from. They are not 'blocking the road'. Because, They are not stopping a vehicle from passing them. Unless suburban roads in metro Atlanta were changed to 65mph. The only roads I know of in Atlanta with that kind of speed limit. Are I-75 n' I-85. Bikes are not allowed on the interstate.

You ask, why should you share the road. What gives you the right to bully others, that are using a non-motorized means of transport, off the road. Define, 'idiotic'. Because, What you consider idiotic. May be a necessity for the cyclist.

BOTH bicycles and motorized vehicles are allowed to use the road. So BOTH are 'entitled' to use the road.

Your frustration is borne of entitlement to the road, as a driver. That is where you fail to realize, and acknowledge a cyclist's right to be on the road.

Not everyone wants to drive are motorized vehicle, or is medically capable of doing the same thing.

Sure there are things that can't be done on a bike(buying $200 of groceries, carrying garden hose or other home maintenance products of that size). But that doesn't mean a motorized vehicle has the right to bully a cyclist off the road. Otherwise, We might as well get into a pecking order big rigs-box trucks-vans/pickup trucks(some have jacked up suspension and monster tires only meant for off-roading-SUVs-full size cars-mid size cars-compact size cars-sub compact size cars-bicycles. Apart from big rigs, each one can be 'bullied' off the road. But, That doesn't mean, they are entitled to do so.
Old 06-26-15, 10:27 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wait; what if it's a donkey on a unicycle?
Old 06-26-15, 10:27 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you are truly objective and really want to understand, why don't you give cycling a try. You will gain much better and quicker insight to the questions you're pondering.
Old 06-26-15, 10:58 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Or a donkey posting an obvious provocation?
Old 06-26-15, 11:04 AM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Or a donkey posting an obvious provocation?
While on a unicycle in traffic? Is it wearing a helmet?
Old 06-26-15, 11:13 AM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dear concerned,

I'll be the one on a bike, in your way, while you are on your "commute" to work, to do your important job, and pay taxes. But I'm on my way to cash my welfare check, and then go buy crack (I don't pay taxes).

My right to use the public roadway for my own private reasons is quite ironclad, and trumps your easily revocable privilege to drive. So be careful around me, and don't get yourself in trouble.

thanks,
another human living in a free country
Old 06-26-15, 11:17 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I'm not trying to provoke anyone...

Here goes- I just simply don't see any inherent right for people to ride slow moving, man-powered vehicles on streets designed for automobiles.

As for the "Share the Road" mantra, my response is, respectfully, "Why should I?"
You are indeed hoping to provoke many here. If you don't understand why this is so, you are approaching this forum and those who participate here in complete and disrespectful ignorance which could have been averted with even a cursory review of previous information and threads posted here.

The inherent right of cyclists to utilize the same roads used by motor vehicle users, and why you are legally bound to share the road with cyclists, is codified in your state's motor vehicle statutes. If you would rather have posted "respectfully," you might have reviewed those statutes before posting here.

Respectfully, and without trying to provoke you, you are coming off as a disrespectful, provocative, ignorant troll.
Old 06-26-15, 11:28 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
actually I think the unicycle has to ride the donkey....
Old 06-26-15, 11:37 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Not convinced this isn't just a troll. Perhaps OP should change username to Unconcernedgetoffmyroads.
Old 06-26-15, 11:44 AM
genec
genec

Here goes- I just simply don't see any inherent right for people to drive large nearly empty, man-killing vehicles on streets designed for the general public. In my experience all around the country, automobiles on public ways are dangerous machines not only for the driver, but for those around as well. In suburban Atlanta (where I live and work), I often see drivers (in completely empty cars with no packs, passengers or anything else to justify the wasted resources) driving along during rush hour on everything from four lane divided highways where drivers routinely fill the roads with bumper to bumper traffic to right down to crowded surface streets. I always ask myself the same question: with so much designated freeway, paved parking, etc. all over the area, why do these people choose to hinder others' ability to get back and forth to work while driving around these wasteful empty living rooms on wheels? There's nothing scenic about metro Atlanta roadways; they are filled with large metal boxes. There are a plethora of opportunities to get exercise cycling in this area that would result in a healthier Atlanta and eliminate a terrible traffic situation if folks would just stop driving cars. I just can't understand the reasoning behind all the cars. Truthfully, it seems very self-centered to me, whatever the reason.

So Share the Road.
Old 06-26-15, 11:49 AM
jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reading your initial post, my recommendation is to proceed immediately to your local proctologist... ride your bike there, as it is not an urgent matter (emergent is more descriptive) have him/her perform an immediate cranial removal from your anal cavity.
Old 06-26-15, 11:50 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Firstly, as a motorist you don't have a right to use the road either. You are given the privilege after passing the minimum requirements for a motorized vehicle licence because it's so dangerous.

Secondly, bicycles were on the road before the automobile was invented.

Thirdly, these two surveys taken three years apart show the consistency of motorists being the hazard of the road to all other motorists.

https://tinyurl.com/pqze8y2
Expedia 2015 Road Rage Report | Expedia Viewfinder Travel BlogAnd after reading through these two surveys you still insist cyclists are the problem then you're probably one of the drivers everybody else loathes:
"51 percent of respondents reported that they loathe sharing the road with bad drivers, more than cyclists, buses, taxis, joggers, and walkers combined."

Because, simply put, cyclists are the least of your road worries.
Old 06-26-15, 11:55 AM
benjdm

Bikes: Sun EZ-Speedster SX, Volae Expedition

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
N.Y. VAT. LAW § 1231 : NY Code - Section 1231: Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles or skating or gliding on in-line skates
Every person riding a bicycle or skating or gliding on in-line skates upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this title, except as to special regulations in this article and except as to those provisions of this title which by their nature can have no application.
In my experience all around the country, bicycles on motorways are dangerous obstacles not only for the rider, but for drivers as well.
Then you are driving too fast (as almost everyone does.)

If you're operating your vehicle on public roadways, you should be following the laws governing traffic on public roadways. If you want to operate your vehicle by your own rules, by all means, build your own racetrack or road on your own land and drive any way you'd like.

If I decided to drive my riding lawnmower to work and back every day, should I expect drivers of more appropriate vehicles to accommodate me with a smile?
What are the relevant traffic laws regarding lawnmowers on public roadways?

How about a unicycle? A donkey? What is so special about bicycles?
Don't know about donkeys, but unicycles, bicycles and horses would also be fine. You know roads and traffic laws predate automobiles, right? Other vehicles haven't lost their right to use the road just because automobiles can also use roads.

Automobiles are just one type of road user among many.
Old 06-26-15, 12:22 PM
genec
genec

Well guess that about covers it... "concerned," a newbie, gets on and makes one post and we all jump on... hook line and sinker.
Old 06-26-15, 01:24 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
" Nice" first post. Do you own a bike? Not everyone owns a car. Hinder, yes cars hinder and get in my way of getting to work. Often times, in suburbs and cities, bikes are quicker than cars to get to work. Here in MA and all over the USA, bikes are VEHICLES. I usually slide right for some of my larger roads. I, however ride on some substandard width roads, not wide enough for a car and bike to be side by side. In that case, I TAKE THE LANE. As is my right. On these cow path roads, the speed limit is often 20, 25, or 30 mph. So be patient and share the road. And get over yourself.
Old 06-26-15, 01:31 PM
Psycholist.5150

Bikes: Giant TCR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-26-15, 02:49 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
actually I think the unicycle has to ride the donkey....
But what if a unicycle is riding a donkey that's riding a tandem unicycle alone?
Old 06-26-15, 04:12 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
People ride horses on the streets in my town. It gives me something to dodge, besides the wild turkeys. I was happy to see that I ride up my hill faster than the horses walk, though not by a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.