Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Rowan

Old 03-23-19, 12:12 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, just read Rowan and Machka's story for the first time. I can only imagine how hard that year has been on the both of you. Glad to hear recovery is going well for you Rowan, and still progressing. No doubt it's largely due to your physical and mental strength before and after the accident. Congrats Machka on your Graduate Diploma ... especially complete during this difficult time. Impressive! You both are an inspiration to us all.
Old 03-23-19, 08:30 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I have a fondness for cats. There is way more to their personalities than they get credit for. So to inject a lighter tone and perhaps bring a smile I submit the following video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVtryo7Zu1o
Excellent !!
Old 03-25-19, 10:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Boy, that's a rough turn of events. I hope for better luck for you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-22-19, 12:47 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Don't know how I missed this thread for a year, but I did. Perhaps its nicest that I'm reading the most recent stuff now, with Rowan communicating directly and significant progress made. (I recognize that the recent siezure is a setback, but hey, you were communicating well AFTER the seizure - which is great).

I wish you, Rowan, continued progress and (I hope) an enjoyable life during that process for both of you.

BTW, I think that Machka gal is kind of sweet on you. Reading her notes and commentary is quite a love story and charms me.
Old 05-22-19, 12:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
BTW, I think that Machka gal is kind of sweet on you.
They seem to have so much in common, too ....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-23-19, 04:32 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Thanks to both of you -- and everyone else -- for your kindness. Yep, Machka has been a real marvel for me as I have recovered from an incident now 14 months ago that almost killed me.
Old 06-19-19, 03:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
A little milestone .... 3 days of cycling in a row AND we made it to the end of the Cycleway 2 days in a row!!

Friday - Rowan and I got out for a short ride late in the day. It was a lazy day for me after a stressful week, so the sun went down soon after we got out there.

Distance: 7.03 km
Elevation: 44 m
Moving Time: 27:27
Elapsed Time: 28:05
Speed: Avg: 15.4 km/h | Max: 28.1 km/h

Saturday - Rowan and I got out for a longer ride today! And then stopped for fish and chips toward the end of the ride.

Distance: 29.36 km
Elevation: 206 m
Moving Time: 1:40:35
Elapsed Time: 2:35:33
Speed: Avg: 17.5 km/h | Max: 28.8 km/h

Sunday -- Went cycling again. Was a bit chilly out there ... 12C to start and down to 8C by the end of the ride. That's three days of cycling in a row in the middle of winter!!

Distance: 27.02km
Elevation: 171m
Moving Time: 1:28:01
Elapsed Time: 1:31:12
Speed: Avg: 18.4km/h | Max: 29.9km/h

Originally Posted by Machka
A very interesting article I came across about a year ago in the early days of Rowan's recovery ...

https://www.brainline.org/blog/getti...ou-should-care

A quote from the article:

"Certain types of physical exercise have been shown to markedly (threefold) increase BDNF synthesis in the human brain, a phenomenon which is partly responsible for exercise-induced neurogenesis and improvements in cognitive function.

A three hundred percent increase in a protein known to help the brain recover is something to look at quite seriously. Neurogenesis is a simple concept. It is the growth of new brain cells.

Think about this for a moment: engaging in regular physical activity produces a chemical that is proven to stimulate new brain cell growth. This vital chemical keeps brain circuits running smoothly and is increased threefold by regular exercise. I call this nothing short of remarkable.

The good news is that you don’t need to be a daily cyclist to get this benefit. Shared by the doctor who presented at our group, thirty minutes of exercise, three times a week, will release BDNF’s and speed the neuro healing process."
Old 06-19-19, 03:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

We've also started a weekly Pilates class run by a local physiotherapist organisation. It's a very small class and we've got our own programs.

Mine is to get my right hip and lower back in action again.

Rowan's is to work on balance, strength, etc.

Rowan will also be going for a nerve conduction study soon to see if they can figure out what's up with his left leg. No guarantees they'll be able to figure it out, but maybe ...

Last edited by Machka; 06-19-19 at 03:19 AM.
Likes For Machka:
Old 06-19-19, 03:43 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hi @Machka,

Immediately before this post to your thread, I noted that you had just responded to a current thread on Fifty-Plus in which @Rowan has been put forward as a standard bearer of head injury recovery.
Originally Posted by jppe
"Acquaintance is victim of Hit and Run, left on side of road"

Robert is now at home but under the watchful eye of his spouse and 3 children. They rotate providing assistance.

Everyone who followed Rowan’s ongoing recovery from his brain injury knows progress from brain juries is erratic and a very long process. Robert still needs assistance for daily tasks….
So I cite it for other readers of this thread, and recognize you as a paragon of caretakers.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-19-19 at 06:04 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 06-19-19, 01:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Fantastic.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-24-19, 07:55 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Since Rowan is doing soooooooooooo much better, we moved the thread to Pills and Ills and hope that he will be posting his successes in other threads as he progresses. Sending more healing thoughts and wishing a full recovery.
Old 08-07-20, 04:17 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Rowan has reached 65 today!

Regarding his injury, he has plateaued, as predicted would happen at the 2-year point. But if all goes well, we'll get out for a little ride this weekend.
Old 08-07-20, 07:42 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts

Regarding his injury, he has plateaued, as predicted would happen at the 2-year point. But if all goes well, we'll get out for a little ride this weekend.
A to Rowan

Enjoy your ride.
Old 08-07-20, 09:04 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts

Have a wonderful birthday ride! Hope you can get out for it.
Old 08-07-20, 09:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Have a wonderful birthday ride! Hope you can get out for it.
Seeing "birthday ride" in this context got me thinking -- always a dangerous thing! 65 miles may be a bit long for Rowan; 65 km isn't a lot better.

But the English system (not used any more by England or most of its former colonies) has so many useful units of length. Could he ride his age in furlongs? That's only a bit over 13 km.

Wishing you both a good ride!
​​​​​​​
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-04-20, 06:47 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
I just discovered, this is where the Rowan discussion went!

Machka and Rowan, best wishes to you!
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 09-04-20, 07:00 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts

Happy belated birthday, Rowan! early in July, I hit 67.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 03-03-21, 03:34 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I just have been browsing through this thread to refresh my memory about all the wonderful people who provided their support by posting on it.

The cycling has been OK for me. Machka has now arranged for us to do 50km rides a month under the Australian Audax system. So that means having the rides' starts, finishes and maybe a checkpoint signed. The 12 done in any of the consecutive months are recorded after finishing as normal randonnees, and there is an award at the end of the year.

There are two other categories that I am hoping to eventually aim for -- 100km a month, and 160km a month (the traditional century distance). At least I think that is how it works.

Machka also has expressed some interest in doing a little exploring at other places, so I have serviced her GT mountain bike, and my old AvantiMTB is back in shape.

I have also converted her original bike that introduced her to racing, a Venture, which ended up too big for her, to a single-speed with a twin-gear hub. I do love my fixed-gear and still do ride it, but in the hllly country becomes a bit of a challenge for me... so flat territory is much preferred on it, whereas the Venture will be able to take a lot of the hills up and down.

There are some other options, including the Bike Fridays, but I really can't go out in the home city without Machka being with me. I still have no driver's licence access because of the brain injury, and frankly, I am a lot concerned about the behaviour of drivers in my area. Which isn't just me -- I had a neuro-psych appointment yesterday and she lives not far from me, and agreed that drivers generally in this city have become dreadful. Sadly, the reminds me of Pcad, and how sad I am he still not around.

So... apart from that, I hope everyone in this 50-plus group is good and healthy in what has been difficult times everywhere in world. Oh, and part of the great news is that Machka finished off her Masters Degree at university.
Old 03-03-21, 06:25 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I just have been browsing through this thread to refresh my memory about all the wonderful people who provided their support by posting on it.

The cycling has been OK for me. Machka has now arranged for us to do 50km rides a month under the Australian Audax system. So that means having the rides' starts, finishes and maybe a checkpoint signed. The 12 done in any of the consecutive months are recorded after finishing as normal randonnees, and there is an award at the end of the year.

There are two other categories that I am hoping to eventually aim for -- 100km a month, and 160km a month (the traditional century distance). At least I think that is how it works.

Machka also has expressed some interest in doing a little exploring at other places, so I have serviced her GT mountain bike, and my old AvantiMTB is back in shape.

I have also converted her original bike that introduced her to racing, a Venture, which ended up too big for her, to a single-speed with a twin-gear hub. I do love my fixed-gear and still do ride it, but in the hllly country becomes a bit of a challenge for me... so flat territory is much preferred on it, whereas the Venture will be able to take a lot of the hills up and down.

There are some other options, including the Bike Fridays, but I really can't go out in the home city without Machka being with me. I still have no driver's licence access because of the brain injury, and frankly, I am a lot concerned about the behaviour of drivers in my area. Which isn't just me -- I had a neuro-psych appointment yesterday and she lives not far from me, and agreed that drivers generally in this city have become dreadful. Sadly, the reminds me of Pcad, and how sad I am he still not around.

So... apart from that, I hope everyone in this 50-plus group is good and healthy in what has been difficult times everywhere in world. Oh, and part of the great news is that Machka finished off her Masters Degree at university.
Old 03-05-21, 08:44 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Rowan,
Just reading our post has made my day-week-month, heck, the year for that matter. It is so good to see that you are able to get some cycling in, and you have a wonderful lady to be your guide too. You truly surpassed early expectations for your level of recovery, prayers and hard work won the battle. You and Machka always have a place to stay, and another good meal or three, should you both get back over our way. Sharing my birthday with y'all was so much fun and great fellowship.

Oh, Chapeau to Machka on earning her Masters Degree, perseverance thy name is Machka.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 03-10-21, 02:49 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Rowan,
Just reading our post has made my day-week-month, heck, the year for that matter. It is so good to see that you are able to get some cycling in, and you have a wonderful lady to be your guide too. You truly surpassed early expectations for your level of recovery, prayers and hard work won the battle. You and Machka always have a place to stay, and another good meal or three, should you both get back over our way. Sharing my birthday with y'all was so much fun and great fellowship.

Oh, Chapeau to Machka on earning her Masters Degree, perseverance thy name is Machka.

Bill
I am glad to hear from you!! Thank you very much. I hope you are well.
Likes For Machka:
Old 03-10-21, 11:48 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Best wishes to you both!
Likes For cooker:
Old 04-12-21, 12:14 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I have been away from this forum for some time as I have finally retired (at the age of 72) and now live in Portugal. Learning Portuguese is tougher than anything I have ever done - including the Savannah Way.

Blessings to both of you. Still remember my stay at your home in rural Victoria back in August 2011. Soon, I will be back in OZ to finally do my Cape York trip - but the country has to open up first.My bike and gear are patiently waiting for me in Victoria.

Rowan, you and Machka are an inspiration to us all!
Likes For tmac100:
Old 04-17-21, 08:00 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Rowan There are many additional folks cheering you on who might be too shy to post (moi).
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 08-20-21, 09:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Just checking in on the Rowan situation after a while away .... much better news than I had feared I would find. Both Rowan and Machka are inspiring.
Likes For Maelochs:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.