Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Reasonable timeframes for bike shop repairs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 10:32 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

I’ve been doing a fair amount of my own bike maintenance but if I get stuck, don’t have time, don’t have the tools, or it’s something too complex for me I will take it to the shop. But the last couple bike shops I’ve taken bikes to have been really slow on fairly minor things. One was a simple gear indexing/FD adjustment. For some reason it was giving me trouble so I took it to the shop to get it right. More than a week later it was finally done. Next time. Different bike shop. I had a cable stop issue for an internal routed cable that was missing a piece I don’t have so wanted them to sort it out. Beyond that I needed a new chain, bar tape, gear adjustment. All of that I can do but if I’m dropping a bike at the shop, I’m happy to pay and have it ride ready. Now again, a week later and the bike is not ready. Original estimate was for like 4 days. I called on day 5 and they had not even started working on it. Is it my issue for telling them in no hurry? I define a hurry is I need it in a day or 2. Bike shops have it tough so I don’t want to be too hard on them and It’s really not a huge deal just a bit annoying.

Old 04-07-19, 10:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It Depends ...

Shorter in the winter , when there is no Service Queue to be put at the tail of..

Q: Do they hire more mechanics in the shop for the busy summer season?
Old 04-07-19, 10:54 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Shorter in the winter , when there is no Service Queue to be put at the tail of..

Q: Do they hire more mechanics in the shop for the busy summer season?
Both are pretty established shops but one seems to always be looking for new staff which obviously adds to issues if they’re always training new staff. I think I was spoiled by my previous bike shops in my prior city where I could drop in sometimes and if it was minor like a gear adjustment they would often do it right then without me even asking them to do it right then. Who knows? I’m just trying to find a shop I trust. I won’t be too hard on bike shops as they’re in a tough position in today’s market
Old 04-07-19, 10:59 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Depending on the nature of the repair and parts needed it could be a week or so. Most LBS only order parts once a week. If it just needs standard parts I would think 4-5 days would be acceptable.

Old 04-07-19, 11:32 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
Is it my issue for telling them in no hurry?
Maybe directly ask the people at the shop for an explanation and a commitment for getting it done. Sorry, that's not as fun as blind anonymous internet guessing.
Old 04-07-19, 11:39 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Maybe directly ask the people at the shop for an explanation and a commitment for getting it done. Sorry, that's not as fun as blind anonymous internet guessing.
I just wanted to get a sense of others experiences to gauge whether I’m just being impatient. And actually current bike shop did call me and apologize profusely for not getting it done on initial timeline and for not communicating with me about timeline/status. I would say for me communication is key. I really hate having to call and follow up with a shop after I’ve initially dropped it off. If they’re behind schedule, that’s fine. I just want them to initiate that communication. I feel like a pest having to call and ask the status
Old 04-07-19, 11:45 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
I don't get a lot of LBS work done, but it has varied considerably. Around here it depends on time of year. Winter is faster.
I've had anywhere from a few days for chain/freewheel/tires to BB chased & faced or wheel true or spoke replaced while I waited.
Old 04-07-19, 11:55 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by dedhed
I don't get a lot of LBS work done, but it has varied considerably. Around here it depends on time of year. Winter is faster.
I've had anywhere from a few days for chain/freewheel/tires to BB chased & faced or wheel true or spoke replaced while I waited.
that’s becoming my experience. I had a bike shop replace my bottom bracket day I was trying to leave for a race. I would have gladly paid more but they were super cool about it. I miss that bike shop. I had two bike shops closer to me that I would drive past to get to that one as I trusted them completely.
Old 04-07-19, 12:17 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
I just wanted to get a sense of others experiences . . .

Really? Experiences with which shop in what town?

I just want them to initiate that communication. I feel like a pest having to call and ask the status
There's the problem.

And actually current bike shop did call me . . .
?!?!
One conversation; get a commitment from them and promise you'll be there on time for pick-up. Done.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 04-07-19 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-07-19, 01:35 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Summer is crazy - spring is hectic.

I try to keep the total time of all the customers waiting shorter, by doing "short/quick" repairs first, even if they didn't come in first - while making sure not to step over any deadlines at the same time.
Plus people with flat tyres are served right away, so they can ride on, not left stranded.

5 work days waiting is quite normal in my city at this time of year. Tasks may be simple, but most shops don't skip the queue - first come, first served.

My deadline policy:

​​​​​​​https://bike.bikegremlin.com/4659/ap...servicing/#3.3
Old 04-07-19, 01:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
On a Popular Bike touring route down the Pacific coast, LBS here does its best
to get those people back on the road
if they need like, 1 spoke , index shifting synch is out & those sort of things ..

if its exotic parts , [Campag is in that category ], It wont be in stock..

but the town has lots of rooms food & drink to fill the wait time..
Old 04-07-19, 03:29 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I’ve been doing a fair amount of my own bike maintenance but if I get stuck, don’t have time, don’t have the tools, or it’s something too complex for me I will take it to the shop. But the last couple bike shops I’ve taken bikes to have been really slow on fairly minor things. One was a simple gear indexing/FD adjustment. For some reason it was giving me trouble so I took it to the shop to get it right. More than a week later it was finally done. Next time. Different bike shop. I had a cable stop issue for an internal routed cable that was missing a piece I don’t have so wanted them to sort it out. Beyond that I needed a new chain, bar tape, gear adjustment. All of that I can do but if I’m dropping a bike at the shop, I’m happy to pay and have it ride ready. Now again, a week later and the bike is not ready. Original estimate was for like 4 days. I called on day 5 and they had not even started working on it. Is it my issue for telling them in no hurry? I define a hurry is I need it in a day or 2. Bike shops have it tough so I don’t want to be too hard on them and It’s really not a huge deal just a bit annoying.

If I call ahead and make an appointment for simple stuff its almost always same day if not next day. If its really simple I bring coffee and doughnuts and make a social call out of it. For more complex and if they need to order something its probably more like 3-4 days because of waiting for parts.

If I just pop in and drop it off then 2-3 days. I have only used my LBS for repairs a few times when I didn't have the proper tool and didn't want to buy it because of the cost of the tool but I have had really positive experience with my LBS. I have never used them in the winter this is spring/summer/fall repairs. Never more than 4 days that I can ever remember. they usually ask me if I need it quickly for an event or if I can be on the log. If you want to go first you pay 15% more or something.
Old 04-08-19, 08:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,211 Posts
Reasonable timeframe for repairs? Five minutes to six weeks. Five minutes was last November/December, when I needed help getting a pedal off (time to rebuild the pedal bearings, and it was frozen to the crank). Six weeks was 8-10 years ago, when my bottom bracket wouldn't come out. Soak it in penetrating oil, whack it, try to unscrew it, repeat. (Then two weeks later I went through the same thing with my backup bike!) Both were pretty reasonable.

Glad to hear you're talking to the bike shop. That's how you'll get things ironed out.
Old 04-08-19, 01:20 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
From my experience as a mechanic, the shops I've worked for have placed a fairly strong emphasis on scheduling a specific date of completion and communicating that to the customer and completing the work on that date. I have definitely worked a lot of overtime to meet our initial commitments. It was also best practices to ask when the customer would like the bike back--some customers actually no plans to pick up for a long while, and could be scheduled later allowing faster turn around for others. When things have backed up, it was expected to call customers and apologize for running late as soon as original estimates had become unrealistic. In a lot of cases I ended up learning that a number of clients were actually not time sensitive to this repair and I could triage things to make everyone satisfied. Sometimes for very large work orders or when there was genuine reason for uncertainty we would make it clear that we would begin work on a certain date but that it may take longer, and define a reasonable range of expectations. Please do not say "no hurry" and then be surprised when people do not hurry. In your case, if you knew when you needed next to ride the bike, I would've led with that. If you just learned, I'd just talk to them.

As a mechanic you want to both increase the speed of turnaround and to also optimize the amount of billable labor you complete per hour, so sometimes I've adopted a policy of completing work immediately after service writing because it reduces transactional time with the customer, storing and retrieving the bikes, and potentially another mechanic becoming familiar with the bike and the needed work, all of which could literally double the labor time for small repairs. Generally my cutoff for this kind of work is about 30 minutes, and it assumes we have intentionally scheduled our day conservatively and that things are presently going to schedule. Flat repair always on the spot unless the customer wants it otherwise--it's almost always priced as a moneymaker and much of its value as a service is the immediacy. This kind of strategy only works if experienced mechanics are taking in bikes for service writing with the customer, which should be the case the majority of the time in a good shop.

Otherwise, assuming all customers would like their bike back as soon as possible, you really just need to schedule things first come, first serve. Ideally you should schedule conservatively, and in my opinion the average date of completion should be a day before promised to reduce the number of bikes finished after promise to a slim minority, but optimism is a very common mistake and frankly, sometimes things are way harder than you expect. If I had room in the schedule for the day I've always turned work around immediately, but one shop I worked at was at the base of a trailhead, had, in my opinion, low labor rates for the area, did quality (and sometimes over detailed) work, and physically had a small service area. During peak seasons, we were scheduling out a month, and that was simply the reality of things--it was really stressful and made storage difficult.
Old 04-08-19, 04:45 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
We have been scheduled out 2 weeks for the past 3 weeks at our shop. This week it will extend out to 3 weeks. Since service is first come, first served, regardless of the nature of the work, a week delay is not unusual at this time of year.

As bikes become more complex the length of time to complete a repair goes up. Another thing I have noticed, which I have not seen since the mountain bike heyday, is how filthy the gravel bikes come in. This dirt requires added time for the repair.

This year we are having trouble finding anyone willing to work for the season as a wrench. Back in the day 30-40 years ago we were turning away 1 or 2 people a day looking for a wrench job. Either they want us to work around their play schedule or they expect a rate of compensation that is outside the ability of the shop to pay. It is so bad that we don't even have high school kids applying. How things have changed.
Old 04-08-19, 05:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Anywhere from while I wait to a full week