Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How not to be angry

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

How not to be angry

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 01:49 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
How not to be angry

So, today is Friday. I was supposed to be half way through my 10 day tour that I had planned months ago. Had to choose this week because of work, but was ready and willing none the less.
Then as depart day got closer I started watching the weather forecast and it was not too bad. As d-day got closer, the forecast got worse and worse, until the day before depart, it was calling for storms everyday for the next 5 days. Decided to hold off to see any improvements.
The forecast was correct, it has rained like nobody's business.
Still cloudy and rain, but need to get something done.
The question is; how to deal with this disappointment and not to take it out on somebody, something, somewhere, somehow?

I guess that is the way it rolls when you love an outdoor sport.
Old 04-26-19, 02:17 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
get some rain gear and just go?

this could be coming cause of living in a very rainy country, everyone here is used to just pulling over putting on rain gear and continuing
Old 04-26-19, 04:27 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
I have the power to bring rain wherever I tour.
I am going to change careers to "rainmaker".
Sorry to hear.
Likes For jamawani:
Old 04-26-19, 04:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
The question is; how to deal with this disappointment and not to take it out on somebody, something, somewhere, somehow?
Are you really thinking about taking out your disappointment on somebody/thing? If so, I would seek counseling. Seriously.
Old 04-26-19, 04:45 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
Sorry to hear.
tour northern belgium asap, it's dangerously dry and spring has barely begun.
Old 04-26-19, 04:54 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I call it" free clothes washing while pedaling" time. Had some " tropical downpours" last summer on my XC VT trip. 1/2 of my 5 days or so. Warm rain is nice, embrace the challenge. Angry? I suggest another sport. Really. No bugs/dust or sunburn, start there. Try thunderstorm rain on a hot, fresh mowed field, the smell is amazing. Same for a pine forest on a country backroad. I was pedaling on the Presidential rail trail in the white Mts of NH. Really hard rain cloud, full sun, 80F all at the same time. The best views and miles of my trip. Low on water I just tipped my head up for some aqua sky as I call it. It is safe to drink, you can collect it off your tarp for your water bottles. Try scrabble instead of being angry.
Old 04-26-19, 06:55 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
My tour begins this coming Thursday. Our low this morning was higher than the predicted high in northern Ohio. If rain were to be in the mix, it might be miserable. I am very happy I sprung for that wool sweater. And that I got talked into getting rain gear
Old 04-26-19, 07:43 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Plan B? Hop on a train to somewhere else?
Old 04-26-19, 08:45 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Originally Posted by phile
tour northern belgium asap, it's dangerously dry and spring has barely begun.
Tot ziens!
Likes For jamawani:
Old 04-26-19, 08:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've wondered if farmers or ranchers would pay me to bike tour through their county for the rain I bring.
Probably wouldn't work this spring, though.
Old 04-26-19, 09:28 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Obviously poor planning on your part. Ha

But seriously, these are the tours that you'll most remember and will make for good stories in the future.
Old 04-26-19, 10:17 AM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Are you really thinking about taking out your disappointment on somebody/thing? If so, I would seek counseling. Seriously.
That's why I come here. Counselling only makes suggestions. People here tell you what you need to do. Seriously
Old 04-26-19, 10:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
People here tell you what you need to do. Seriously
Sending me all your money is the only way you will get over this tragedy. Doo eeet. Now. Seriously.
Old 04-26-19, 10:42 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
A rainy day is like riding uphill. When you finally reach the summit and go downhill, holds the same joy as a ray of sunshine after a long rainy period. Don't be angry with things beyond your control and just ride. Life happens whether you like it or not, so its better to enjoy every day that God gives you.
Old 04-26-19, 11:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Look at the bright side, you probably would not have enjoyed the weather if you went on your trip. So, you probably made the right decision.

Do you still have time to do a three or four day trip close to home? Or is the weather still forecast to be bad?

Forecast for my home is about 8 inches of snow tomorrow, some of that will melt upon landing but not all of it. Wind forecast at 15 mph, gusting to 30 mph. I am glad I am not out on a camping trip right now.

The day of the photo was not an enjoyable day. But fortunately, it quit raining long enough for me to get my tent up at the campground.

Old 04-26-19, 11:10 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
You can't get mad at the weather. There are sites where you can check out historical weather patterns, and estimate the probability encountering rain and headwinds. It also helps to be flexible and have a backup plan. My wife and I experienced 35 days of rain on a 3-month tour.

As an Oregonian, I found out that if you didn't do something because it was raining, you wouldn't do anything outside for a major part of the year.

There are times on most bike tours when you just have to stop for a cold beer (or a hot cup of coffee), reevaluate, adapt, and make the best of the situation

Last edited by Doug64; 04-26-19 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 11:15 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
So, today is Friday. I was supposed to be half way through my 10 day tour that I had planned months ago. Had to choose this week because of work, but was ready and willing none the less.
Then as depart day got closer I started watching the weather forecast and it was not too bad. As d-day got closer, the forecast got worse and worse, until the day before depart, it was calling for storms everyday for the next 5 days. Decided to hold off to see any improvements.
The forecast was correct, it has rained like nobody's business.
Still cloudy and rain, but need to get something done.

I guess that is the way it rolls when you love an outdoor sport.
I think you made the right decision. Riding in constant rain is not fun. If you belong to a gym, I'd take advantage of your membership. If not consider joining a gym. Spend a couple hours there each day and find some other fun things to do with your time off
Old 04-26-19, 11:19 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
You can't get mad at the weather. There are sites where you can check out historical weather patterns, and estimate the probability encountering rain and headwinds. It also helps to be flexible and have a backup plan. My wife and I experienced 35 days of rain on a 3-month tour.

As an Oregonian, I found out that if you didn't do something because it was raining, you wouldn't do anything outside for a major part of the year.
The rain in Oregon is quite civilized most of the year. I loved riding in it, for the most part. It was often like riding through a cloud. Get a decent rain jacket and you're all set.

By contrast, in California, it seems like when it does rain, the rain drops are bigger and colder, and it's often accompanied by a lot of wind and unstable weather.
Old 04-26-19, 11:26 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
To quote a Led Zeppelin song, upon us all a little rain must fall. So stay in & crank some Zeppelin. 😎
Old 04-26-19, 02:06 PM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry to hear.
Half my tour journals contain the phrase "Why is it raining? Because George is on tour!!".
Old 04-27-19, 07:08 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I can sympathize, last year the eastern US set records for rainfall. I'm not usually esp adverse to riding in the rain but with just one short trail tour planned, I wanted to ride my new gravel bike--the stock tires are fat knobbies that are comfy on trails--if I put fenders on I'd have to buy new narrower tires. I kept figuring a dry week would come but no luck. Eventually I got so sick of seeing rain I didn't even want to think about touring anyway.

Biking aside, the constant drenching rains were pretty depressing. Frequent flooded basement, back yard a muddy mess...& that's nothing compared to folks in the region who lost houses & businesses.
Old 04-27-19, 08:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm not trying to condescend and am sure this was just a little bit of drama.

On the odd chance that it isn't, someone who takes frustration about the weather out on other people has bigger problems than just the weather and probably should consider seeing someone professionally.

-Tim-
Old 04-27-19, 08:50 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Oh, let's be real.

When I am soaking wet, drenched like a wet dog - and finally make it to a c-store -
And somebody says, "Little bit wet out today, eh?" -
It is a miracle that I am not up on murder-1 charges.
Likes For jamawani:
Old 04-28-19, 02:46 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
As someone who lives in the UK, riding in 'bad' weather in ingrained in our DNA because if we didn't do it, we wouldn't ride much. Its all about the attitude. The chances of the weather gods aligning with our time off is slim, our weathermen are apologetic that the weekend weather is crap, after its been lovely all week while we've been at work. Its Sods law.

So you need to have a complete alternative activity planned, ....or sod it, laugh in the face of weather. See it as a challenge, I remember an old Billy Connolly sketch where he says something along the lines of 'there is no such thing as good weather, or bad weather, its all just weather, you just need the right clothes'. If you can tour for a week in the rain and keep dry, you're a top notch cycle-tourist. Hone your skills at packing and keeping stuff dry, embrace the challenge of avoiding that cold water drip that gets in an runs right down your spine.

Think of the positives...the bike is getting a good clean, at least you won't get sun burnt, you're not likely to run out of water . The 'bad' weather will definitely put some people off, you could have one of those magical rides or moments where you realise you have a whole mountain, park, riverside, whatever, all to yourself. I took shelter and cowered under a tree once for a few mins and waited for a particularly bad rain storm to pass, leaned bike against tree, and turned around and sat down and looked over, and about 3 trees away from me I saw a fox doing exactly the same thing. We made eye contact and shared a cross-species 'ewww this sucks doesn't it, good move mate, lets let this one pass over for a minute'. And we both sat there in silence until it did. Those are special moments.

And even if you get a bit wet, big deal, as long as you're not in danger of getting hyper-thermia. I find when I'm fully wet and can't get any wetter, its kind of liberating, you don't go round the puddles, you barrel straight through them, grinning like a fool and making big rooster tails from your back wheel, and all of a sudden I'm 8 years old again. And as a wide old Sensei somewhere probably said, 'one can only truly appreciate warm dry socks after having cold wet ones'

At least you're off work, and you'll be back there soon enough, so get out there and have an adventure!

Alternatively do what most Brits do, save up and go to another country on holiday, as our weather can't be trusted
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 04-28-19, 06:41 AM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm not trying to condescend and am sure this was just a little bit of drama.

On the odd chance that it isn't, someone who takes frustration about the weather out on other people has bigger problems than just the weather and probably should consider seeing someone professionally.

-Tim-

I think people take things too seriously these days. Even for a light hearted rant on an anonymous forum, probably due to certain cultures where you never know who might open up
Seeing the number of comments you've posted I am sure your advice is appreciated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.