Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rim but not tire/tube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rim but not tire/tube

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-20, 09:45 PM
NewbieBuilder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rim but no tire/tube

Need some help here guys...So I went and bought a used rear rim off Ebay but the only information the seller provided was that it is a 700c rim and nothing else. I was hoping I could re-use the tube and tire from my bike with the "new" rim but that didn't work, then I bought a pair of tubes (28 700x18-23-25 60mm Presta) which seem to be the correct width or close to correct width but had a lot of excess. So I examined the rim and found marking that I then used to reach out to the manufacturer for some information which was speedily provided and have added below. I know the experience here runs wide and deep so am hoping someone here is able and willing to point me to the correct tire and tube size for this rim.

The diameter of the rim is 25"

"The Aerohead is not a tubeless compatible tire, though our velotape can be used as a rim strip solution. The specs on the profile of that rim are a 20mm external width, 14.4 internal, and 19mm tall. Recommended tire width is 19-28mm."

Last edited by NewbieBuilder; 12-18-20 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Typo in title
Old 12-18-20, 10:48 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Wheel. You bought a wheel.
Old 12-18-20, 10:55 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 980 Posts
Did you buy a rim, or did you buy a wheel? A rim is part of a wheel
Old 12-19-20, 02:23 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 195 Posts
You may want to read this article on sizing
https://www.pandaebikes.com/what-is-my-wheel-size/

Old 12-19-20, 10:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 3,330 Posts
When you say it didn't
that didn't work
it would be helpful to tell us why it didn't work.

I'm just imagining you are trying to put a 700C wheel on a bike that can't use a 700C wheel. Hopefully you know why that won't work.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-19-20, 11:19 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by NewbieBuilder
Need some help here guys...So I went and bought a used rear rim off Ebay
Could you provide a link to this ebay item so that we can have a better idea about what you bought. It would be very helpful.

Thanks and welcome to BikeForums.
Old 12-19-20, 12:15 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Your description is incomplete but it sounds like you bought a rear wheel built with a Velocity Aerohead rim. The hub is anyone's guess until you provide more info.

If that is the case, that's most likely a 700C rim designed for narrow road tires. I don't see the Aerohead model available in any other sizes. The actual diameter is 622mm but the nominal size is 700C. You might find some tires designated 28" that will fit too, but the important but is that the tire bread diameter is 622mm because anything smaller won't fit at all and anything bigger (630mm is an archaic size that's still around) will fall off the rim.

The tubeless info is probably a non-sequitur for you. Buy a 700c road tire and a presta valved tube of the appropriate size range.
Old 12-19-20, 12:59 PM
NewbieBuilder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can’t post links to other websites yet sadly.
Old 12-19-20, 01:05 PM
NewbieBuilder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Could you provide a link to this ebay item so that we can have a better idea about what you bought. It would be very helpful.

Thanks and welcome to BikeForums.
This is seller description For sale is a Campagnolo Centaur hub laced to a Velocity Aerohead 700c 32h rim.

The hub is 130mm spaced a takes a 9mm quick release.

The wheel spins true and free.

Fits Campagnolo 9, 10, or 11 speed cassettes.

Wheel comes as pictured.

The rim has some wear from brake pad rub. Doesn't affect performance.

Feel free to ask questions.
Old 12-19-20, 04:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 3,330 Posts
Can’t post links to other websites yet sadly.
You can if you have the gumption to remove the https:// and change the '.' before .com, .gov, or what ever to a ' dot '. Just write it in the plain text of your message without trying to use the link tools. Works for pics too.
Old 12-19-20, 04:58 PM
trailflow1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Need some help here guys...So I went and bought a used rear rim off Ebay but the only information the seller provided was that it is a 700c rim and nothing else. I was hoping I could re-use the tube and tire from my bike with the "new" rim but that didn't work, then I bought a pair of tubes (28 700x18-23-25 60mm Presta) which seem to be the correct width or close to correct width but had a lot of excess. So I examined the rim and found marking that I then used to reach out to the manufacturer for some information which was speedily provided and have added below. I know the experience here runs wide and deep so am hoping someone here is able and willing to point me to the correct tire and tube size for this rim.

The diameter of the rim is 25"

"The Aerohead is not a tubeless compatible tire, though our velotape can be used as a rim strip solution. The specs on the profile of that rim are a 20mm external width, 14.4 internal, and 19mm tall. Recommended tire width is 19-28mm."
a 700c tube will look like it has alot of excess if it's not inside the tyre. This is completely normal.

Your 28 700x18-23-25 60mm Presta tubes are fine for the 700c Aerohead rim.

But we dont know what tyre you are trying to install ? Your tyre needs to be 700c (622mm) bead diameter to fit the Aerohead rim.

What exactly is the problem ? Are you having difficulty installing the tyre or tube ? It's not clear. With the tube slightly inflated so it holds it's shape. Put one side of the tyre bead on the rim first, then install the tube into the tyre starting at the valve insertion.Then seat the other bead of the tyre.

I was hoping I could re-use the tube and tire from my bike with the "new" rim but that didn't work
Why didnt it work ? Too big or too small ? or something else ?

Tell us what model the old tyre is. Does it have any markings on the side ?

"The Aerohead is not a tubeless compatible RIM, though our velotape can be used as a rim strip solution. The specs on the profile of that rim are a 20mm external width, 14.4 internal, and 19mm tall. Recommended tire width is 19-28mm."

None of these numbers have anything to do with the tube size. The important number for the rim is 700c in regards to the tube. The tube needs to match the rim diameter. And they are both 700c so compatible.

You don't need match a tube to a rim, only the tyre volume and it's diameter.

Only the tyre needs to matched with a rim. And only the diameter of bead is needed for fitment. The volume size of the tyre should not exceed the recommended tyre volume for the rims internal rim width. Look up ERTO charts or tyre size charts for this.

Last edited by trailflow1; 12-19-20 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-20-20, 10:33 PM
NewbieBuilder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks got it working. Posting my build info for anyone interested

Tell us what model the old tyre is. Does it have any markings on the side ?
The size of old tire is 28-622 (700x28c -28x1 5/8 x 1 1/8)Kenda West

700c tube will look like it has alot of excess if it's not inside the tyre
Think this is what threw me off a bit. When I was measuring and comparing to the old tube it seemed to have an excess of about 2-3 inches which seemed strange. I revisited it last night and with a little elbow grease I managed to get everything fit onto the wheel and inflated (It's looking really nice with the 2" presta valve stem sticking out ) . I haven't been able to test as yet because I am still missing my shifters.

For anyone interested here are the parts am using for this project
  • Rockbros clipless pedals
  • Campagnolo Veloce medium cage rear derailleur
  • Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed chain
  • Campagnolo Chorus front derailleur (couldn't find the veloce to match at the time)
  • Campagnolo veloce 10 speed cassette (13-29)
  • Campagnolo 10 speed crank set (53/39)
  • Campagnolo Powershift Ergopowers Veloce 10 Spd Shifters (ordered but hasn't arrived as yet )
  • And a pair of front and back campy rim breaks (the mounting 'stems' are a bit to short for my mounting points but they came with recessed nuts and I read that I can drill the frame a bit the make the hole wider so nut can fit)
  • Keeping the frame, seat and handle bars from my Merax 21 Speed 700C Aluminum Road Bike Racing Bicycle (Red 54CM) (bought 5 years ago)
Old 12-21-20, 12:08 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 2,686 Posts
The size of old tire is 28-622 (700x28c -28x1 5/8 x 1 1/8)Kenda West

Think this is what threw me off a bit. When I was measuring and comparing to the old tube it seemed to have an excess of about 2-3 inches which seemed strange. I revisited it last night and with a little elbow grease I managed to get everything fit onto the wheel and inflated (It's looking really nice with the 2" presta valve stem sticking out ) . I haven't been able to test as yet because I am still missing my shifters.

For anyone interested here are the parts am using for this project
  • Rockbros clipless pedals
  • Campagnolo Veloce medium cage rear derailleur
  • Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed chain
  • Campagnolo Chorus front derailleur (couldn't find the veloce to match at the time)
  • Campagnolo veloce 10 speed cassette (13-29)
  • Campagnolo 10 speed crank set (53/39)
  • Campagnolo Powershift Ergopowers Veloce 10 Spd Shifters (ordered but hasn't arrived as yet )
  • And a pair of front and back campy rim breaks (the mounting 'stems' are a bit to short for my mounting points but they came with recessed nuts and I read that I can drill the frame a bit the make the hole wider so nut can fit)
  • Keeping the frame, seat and handle bars from my Merax 21 Speed 700C Aluminum Road Bike Racing Bicycle (Red 54CM) (bought 5 years ago)
Why go with knockoff pedals from a company with a knockoff name too? You have such a fine build here and then cheap out on pedals. Plenty of excellent pedals out there from known quantities that are real companies, Look, Shimano, Crank Brothers (whom they took the name from), Ritchey, iSSi, Speedplay, Time...and plenty of others (I mostly listed those who do clipless stuff)
Old 12-21-20, 08:38 PM
NewbieBuilder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Why go with knockoff pedals from a company with a knockoff name too? You have such a fine build here and then cheap out on pedals. Plenty of excellent pedals out there from known quantities that are real companies, Look, Shimano, Crank Brothers (whom they took the name from), Ritchey, iSSi, Speedplay, Time...and plenty of others (I mostly listed those who do clipless stuff)
Well I never intended to dive this deep, started out as a curiosity ( I wonder how it feels to ride clipless pedals and does it enhance the ride?) so I bought a pair cheap ones along with shoes from ebay but forgot I lost some threading on the drive side of my crank some time back when I failed to re install flat pedals properly. So I decided to buy new crank set and... it snow balled from there.
Old 12-28-20, 06:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 2,686 Posts
Well I never intended to dive this deep, started out as a curiosity ( I wonder how it feels to ride clipless pedals and does it enhance the ride?) so I bought a pair cheap ones along with shoes from ebay but forgot I lost some threading on the drive side of my crank some time back when I failed to re install flat pedals properly. So I decided to buy new crank set and... it snow balled from there.
Still no good reason to buy knockoffs. You can deep dive and get plenty of cheap known quantity pedals. The Shimano M-520//M-530 Pedals are very affordable and Shimano quality. I know some folks who have some ancient ones that are still going. My original XT pedals are still going super strong after 7 years or so and my old A-530s which I got used are just like the day I got 'em. Why risk it with knockoffs. For the longevity of my various mostly Shimano pedals I have really spent very little in the long term and know if something does happen I can at least reach out to Shimano and they can potentially help me granted the warranty on most of my pedals is out but if something catastrophic happens I can at least let them know so they can improve future models that companies like RockBros will attempt to copy looks wise missing the important R&D aspects.
Likes For veganbikes: