Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Twitchy bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19, 03:55 AM
Thedavidimage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Twitchy bike

I just recently purchased a used bianchi sl argentin bicycle which I test rode and found to be very twitchy and unstable and almost unridable. It also appears that the headset is very gritty and possibly pitted. Is the headset the cause of this problem or are the frame angles so steep as to cause it to be unstable?
Old 11-20-19, 05:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
can't answer your questions but if you've pumped your tire to their max pressure you might try the front tire 5-10 lbs lower. it carries less weight than the rear so it doesn't have to be as hard. a softer front tire will make it less twitchy. but have that grit checked out
Old 11-20-19, 05:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Thedavidimage
I just recently purchased a used bianchi sl argentin bicycle which I test rode and found to be very twitchy and unstable and almost unridable. It also appears that the headset is very gritty and possibly pitted. Is the headset the cause of this problem or are the frame angles so steep as to cause it to be unstable?
How are the hubs? Is there any sideways play in the wheels? Bad hubs can make things feel "twitchy and unstable".
Old 11-20-19, 05:32 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
If the headset does not move freely, that is the problem. When we pedal, the front wheel turns slightly from side to side. It happens naturally and you don't even notice it happens unless your tires get wet and you can see the curvy line left by the front tire. When the headset doen't move freely, the front wheel isn't able to center itself an you find yourself having to manually correct it when you are pedaling. It is a very disconcerting feeling of not really having control of the bike.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 11-20-19, 06:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
You bought a bike after test riding it and finding it to be almost un-rideable?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-20-19, 06:42 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Has it been in a crash and the fork is bent?
Old 11-20-19, 07:00 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Sounds like this bike needs a total and thorough inspection by a professional.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 11-20-19, 07:07 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
What kind of bike did you ride previously? If I've ridden my touring bike for a while, and then switch to my "race" bike, the "race" bike does feel twitchy, it takes a few miles before I feel comfortable on it.

Not saying that's your problem, it's just something to consider. Also, if the headset doesn't feel right, it's possible that someone put in a new fork and didn't install the headset properly, which also means that it's possible that they installed a fork that isn't appropriate for the frame geometry. Can you tell if the bike has the original fork?
Old 11-20-19, 07:13 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
A stiff or sticky headset makes a bike horrible to ride.
Old 11-20-19, 07:16 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
If the headset does not move freely, that is the problem. When we pedal, the front wheel turns slightly from side to side. It happens naturally and you don't even notice it happens unless your tires get wet and you can see the curvy line left by the front tire. When the headset doen't move freely, the front wheel isn't able to center itself an you find yourself having to manually correct it when you are pedaling. It is a very disconcerting feeling of not really having control of the bike.
dSaul provided the most probable explanation.

Embarrassing story: I hated the handling of one of my bikes, blaming the frame geometry, and rode it only occasionally for 5 years. Then it occurred to me that the (Allen-bolt-secured) cable hanger for the front brake might have been interfering with the headset adjustment. Loosened the Allen bolt, adjusted the headset, tightened the Allen bolt, and suddenly the bike handled like a dream.
Old 11-20-19, 03:25 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
That's what I think too. A slightly too tight headset will feel crunchy and will require constant manual steering corrections.
Old 11-20-19, 04:54 PM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I just recently purchased a used bianchi sl argentin bicycle which I test rode and found to be very twitchy and unstable and almost unridable.

The frame geometry doesn't look crazy .
Old 11-20-19, 07:56 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
...or the opposite. I rode with a loose headset once. Man, I had a heck of a time trying to keep it in my lane!
Old 11-20-19, 08:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Nobody here would know if your headset is pitted.
And nobody here would know why you bought a bike you can barely ride.
Old 11-20-19, 09:36 PM
Thedavidimage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Nobody here would know if your headset is pitted.
And nobody here would know why you bought a bike you can barely ride.
I purchased this bike on Ebay and test rode it after I bought it. I have purchased many bikes on eBay without problem and the headset problem was not mentioned. I just took my headset apart and it is somewhat pitted and I will replace it. I may not have been explicit enough.
Old 11-20-19, 10:54 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I purchased this bike on Ebay and test rode it after I bought it. I have purchased many bikes on eBay without problem and the headset problem was not mentioned. I just took my headset apart and it is somewhat pitted and I will replace it. I may not have been explicit enough.
I would start with that. Even the most hyper aggressive race bikes aren’t “unridable” at speeds achievable with human power alone. Of course, if you’re talking about 40+ mph, a lot of bikes can start feeling unsettled. But road bike geometry has been a bit of a solved problem for a while. I doubt a traditional company like Bianchi would make something so unfriendly to ride. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-21-19, 03:48 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Are all the spokes tight and wheels straight and true? I would definitely go all though the bike and check everything.
Old 11-21-19, 04:04 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I suspect you will find the cause of this once you've had it properly checked out by a competent mechanic. Well worth the cash outlay. That said, some bikes are just known for being a bit on the twitchy side. I bought one of those,a nice Wilier, and I did not like the ride initially, coming from an Orca. But you can learn to manage it and then, after some practice, it really isn't bothersome anymore. So, just keep that in mind. You can get accustomed to it with some practice and then, everything will be fine.