Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

NOS Build: Trek 5000

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 12:11 PM
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Seven Evergreen, Merlin Cyrene, Trek TCT 5000, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know a 2006 bike is not vintage but to me this is a classic bike, so forgive me if this post doesn't belong here. I was lucky enough to snag a highly discounted 2006 New Old Stock Trek 5000 frame in my size a few weeks ago. Apparently Trek cleaned out a warehouse and found about 25 old frames, including this and one other road frame - the rest being old MTB frames. It's a beautiful metallic blue and came with a carbon fork (non-painted). A handsome bike, I remember seeing these all over the place 10 years ago and I bet there's a lot of them sitting in garages around the Midwest. As my old Lemond 853 steel bike is getting rusty and worn out and parts become increasingly hard to get, I decided to retire it and transfer what I could to the new frame. Once I started on the build list, it became apparent that most of the parts either are too old or don't fit the oversized carbon frame on the 5000, so I decided to do a new build. As a coach and a Trek Ninja, I get some sweet discounts so the whole build including the frame will come in around $1,900. The Lemond will be stripped and I'll e-bay what I can, including a really nice (but lots of miles) Dura-Ace Triple. Here's the planned build parts list:

Frame: Trek TCT 5000 Carbon - 62CM, Bright Blue
Group: Shimano Ultegra R8000 11 speed - Rim brakes, 52-36T cranks, 11-28 cassette
Headset: NOS Chris King No-thread (Right out of my mechanic's tool chest)
Stem: Bontrager, TBD at fit
Handle Bar: Bontrager Elite Aero 44mm
Bar Tape: Fi'zi:k Soft Touch - Black
Seat Post: Bontrager Carbon Pro
Saddle: Bontrager Ajna Elite
Pedals: Ultegra SPD-SL Carbon
Wheels: Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5 TLR Carbon
Tires: Schwalbe One 25mm, Conti tubes
Cages: Bontrager RXL Black
K-Edge Chain catcher
Niner YAWYD Headset Top, Bottle Cap TBD

This will be a road spare, the build will be great for the flat to rolling farm terrain West of Chicago. Collecting parts now, build should be complete late next week.
Price includes all the build work but not the beer and Mountain Dew for the shop mechanics.
Old 01-16-19, 12:43 PM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Nice stuff! I really like this era of Trek's OCLV frames. It would certainly be considered vintage by the riders in the clubs around here! I wish Trek had some more warehouses to clean out, nice catch!
Old 01-16-19, 01:14 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Nice.
I love how the over sized tubing eliminates the awkward head tube height on taller frames
Old 01-16-19, 01:24 PM
OrenNoah

Bikes: 2019 Trek Madone SLR6; 2014 Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I retired my Trek 5500 a few months ago (when the metal threaded BB shell separated from the carbon frame. It was a great bike and I'll miss riding it. It gave me more than 20 years of service and is now hanging in a place of honor on my garage wall.

Enjoy the hell out of your 5000!
Old 01-16-19, 01:54 PM
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Seven Evergreen, Merlin Cyrene, Trek TCT 5000, Trek Checkpoint

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrenNoah
I retired my Trek 5500 a few months ago (when the metal threaded BB shell separated from the carbon frame. It was a great bike and I'll miss riding it. It gave me more than 20 years of service and is now hanging in a place of honor on my garage wall.

Enjoy the hell out of your 5000!
Oren, I rode a Lemond MJ for many years that was a re-badged Trek 5900. I had to return it to Trek twice for warranty repair on the BB shell due to separation. Both time they repainted and re-decaled it but it was never as good as the original paint job, tended to chip easily. I am glad that this frame uses external BB bearings, which are so much easier to deal with than internal.

The fitter at the shop is a bit of a Trek savant, in that he knows about pretty much anything Trek related, explained that the TCT 5000 series was Trek's first foray into Taiwan manufactured carbon frames. So while it shares the looks and geometry of the 5500/5700/5900 series, it is fully molded without the carbon lugs of the previous generation. It weighs a few more grams but the ride and feel should be the same.
Old 01-16-19, 10:14 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Seems to be the month for NIB OCLV s.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-fathers.html

Go for it.
That thing begs for some RXXXLites with white spokes.
Old 11-22-19, 02:09 AM
ElPollo69

Bikes: Orbea orca, schwinn paramount

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did you find a bb guide and front derailed mount?

It seems there are a bunch of frames out there missing the bottom bracket cable guide and front derailleur hanger. Do you know where to get them or did your bike come with them on the frameset? I’m currently missing them on my new old stock frameset that is just like yours. Supposedly it’s proprietary