Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

If you could afford an e-bike, would it be your "go to" commuter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

If you could afford an e-bike, would it be your "go to" commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 01:42 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mozad655
Its all the same to me. I want to be the full source of power. If I wanted a machine that runs on an engine and all the hassle that comes with that, then I would just buy a motorcycle or car. I don't want interference from machines. e-bikes are bicycle-blasphemy to me. thet go against the beauty and simplicity of bicycles and the bond that you have with it when you and only you are pushing yourself forward. but I do recognize that they are a good solution if you live in a mountain area or pull a heavy load on a regular basis. but as a bicycle for a regular commuter? not nessescary at all.
A small electric motor on a bicycle doesn't even compare to the maintenance and potential repairs needed to a car or even a motorcycle. Not even close.

They're a good option for someone who maybe doesn't have shower facilities at work, and maybe their commute is 5-10 miles each way and they want to get there without being all gross. Especially if their area is more hilly than flat. The e-bike could be the solution that allows them to go by bike instead of using yet another motor vehicle with a single person inside.
Old 10-23-15, 01:44 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
The bike started out as a touring bike that I used as a commuter. Initial cost was $1400. I made changes and added accessories (fenders, racks, lights, changed the saddle and bars, added pedals, panniers, disc brakes (expensive modification)... so much, too much to continue listing.) I really like the utility, geometry, and feel of the bike. When I went to look for e-bikes I couldn't find anything close to the bike I already had and loved riding. (I can't recall seeing an e-bike with drop bars.) So, I was well over $2000 into this bike. I went with a BionX e-bike kit. Cost of the kit was $2400 with installation. Yep... and $1200 of that is the battery. So yes, I'm into this about $5000+ (dang, as I start to add things up, this really is expensive!)

I can try to justify it. It really is a car replacement for me. We have two cars (3 drivers) and we get by fine, but others in my same situation have a 3rd car they use as a commuter. I don't pay for gas, insurance, car maintenance, or parking. But hey, there are cheaper e-bike options out there than mine. Also, If I were really budget minded, I could commute on a $100 used bike.

Here's a drop bar road e-bike with Ultegra equipment. Bosch mid-drive pedal assist up to 28 MPH, but it's $6,700!!

Old 10-23-15, 01:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Stoke Monkey Kit on a CETMA Bakfiets ..

Given the thing is already heavy, add another battery for greater range, and have it Haul stuff back .

Of course I'd also be able to afford a house with a 2+ car garage-shop-studio in this best of all theoretical worlds.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-24-15 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 01:51 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Here's a drop bar road e-bike with Ultegra equipment. Bosch mid-drive pedal assist up to 28 MPH, but it's $6,700!!

Yes, I remember seeing that review. Very cool bike. Not sure how that would work as a commuter with racks, panniers, and a dynamo hub. I think it's a race bike with an electric motor. I'm sure it would be fun to ride, but not really intended to be a commuter.
Old 10-23-15, 01:56 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
An e-bike just doesn't add much for me. I'm in pretty good shape, so - it's not significantly faster (and limited at 20mph), it's still not shielded from the weather like a car is, that it's less effort is a drawback because the primary reason for me to commute is exercise.

The primary use for an ebike to me seems like it's for people who are out of shape, who want to get into better shape, but not go through months of biking extremely slowly. Which is great. I've considered renting an ebike for rides when relatives visit so we can all ride around the same speed without anyone feeling like they're slow.

But it just doesn't add much benefit for me - I still need to have a car to handle needing to be faster, needing to handle adverse weather, needing to arrive not wearing bike gear, and getting less exercise with it is a drawback not a plus.
Old 10-23-15, 01:56 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Stoke Monkey Kit on a CETMA Bakfiets ..

Given the thing is already heavy, add another battery for greater range, and have it Haul stuff back .
I think I saw something similar at Clever Cycles in Portland. I don't believe it had a stoke monkey, but it had a bionx. Clever Cycles does carry the Stoke Monkey.
Old 10-23-15, 02:02 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
They're a good option for someone who maybe doesn't have shower facilities at work, and maybe their commute is 5-10 miles each way and they want to get there without being all gross. Especially if their area is more hilly than flat. The e-bike could be the solution that allows them to go by bike instead of using yet another motor vehicle with a single person inside.
Change it to 10-15 miles, and that's me and why I'd consider it. Also, the reason I don't commute now as much as I'd like is the fact that I have kids and the ride takes about twice as long as driving, so that's a chunk less of the day I'm able to spend with them. If I could cut it down to about the same time with a pedal assist bike that can go up to 28 mph, that would be nice and I'd still get some exercise myself. Lots more pressing financial needs right now, but it's something I've considered. I like the feeling of doing all the work myself on my go-fast lightweight steel racing bike from the 80's, but when I'm on my commuter, I sometimes just want to get where I'm going and be there. Adding a mid-drive motor to my commuter might do that. I do get the whole idea that it feels like cheating though as the reason I'm commuting - my wife and I work at the same place and only have 1 car right now - is that I want the fresh air and exercise (part of the reason I haven't looked too hard into it).

Old 10-23-15, 02:03 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
An e-bike just doesn't add much for me. I'm in pretty good shape, so - it's not significantly faster (and limited at 20mph), it's still not shielded from the weather like a car is, that it's less effort is a drawback because the primary reason for me to commute is exercise.

The primary use for an ebike to me seems like it's for people who are out of shape, who want to get into better shape, but not go through months of biking extremely slowly. Which is great. I've considered renting an ebike for rides when relatives visit so we can all ride around the same speed without anyone feeling like they're slow.

But it just doesn't add much benefit for me - I still need to have a car to handle needing to be faster, needing to handle adverse weather, needing to arrive not wearing bike gear, and getting less exercise with it is a drawback not a plus.
Ooh, I like that idea. I could see something that would allow my wife to ride with me being nice. Right now, our vastly different riding styles means we never ride together. We used to and both got massively frustrated.

Old 10-23-15, 02:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoDan
One of the main reasons I commute by bike is for the workout, so I would not use an e-bike.
I have bike commutted and car commuted in the past. Currently 99.99% on the bike for EVERYTHING. And, yes, exercise is important to me.

There are a few reasons for choosing the car over the bike in the past.
  • Time. Or, perhaps having to do a mid-day hop from one location to another.
  • Inclement Weather... yes, spoiled by an enclosed vehicle.
  • Capacity.. perhaps that is a perception thing as I'm learning I can tow a LOT.
  • Tired/Lazy????
  • Distance, or perceived distance (also related to time).

The E-Bike will help with some of those issues, but not all of them. Perhaps if they can get up to 55 MPH... then the excuses would be reduced.

Anyway, at the moment, I'm happy getting some exercise on the bike.
Old 10-23-15, 02:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The serious answer to the OP's question is that I ride my bike to work because I enjoy riding my bike; commuting is a means of getting in two rides a day that I wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to take. I would not consider riding a powered conveyance to be riding a bike, even if it's merely a pedal-assist. So even if it were free, I would not ride an e-bike to work or anywhere else.
Old 10-23-15, 02:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Todd, One of the Partner owners Of Clever developed and Patented the stoke Monkey , AFAIK..

he tended to set them up on the Long tails in the space behind the Seat Tube where the wheel no longer was placed.

Raleigh has a Mid drive frame For the Bosch motors .. in a more or less MTB .. sells for about $3K.
Old 10-23-15, 02:17 PM
InTheRain

Originally Posted by caloso
would not consider riding a powered conveyance to be riding a bike, even if it's merely a pedal-assist. So even if it were free, I would not ride an e-bike to work or anywhere else.
I would love to know the reason for this attitude/opinion. It sounds snobbish. Maybe it's not intended to be, but that's the way it sounds. I don't agree.
Old 10-23-15, 02:21 PM
InTheRain

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Perhaps if they can get up to 55 MPH... then the excuses would be reduced.
There aren't any bicycles that I want to commute on at 55mph.
Old 10-23-15, 02:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Perhaps it is. *shrug*
Old 10-23-15, 02:37 PM
InTheRain

Originally Posted by PaulRivers

I don't consider commuting by bicycle an activity that has the primary purpose of getting in shape. Even if it was, I could make the ride on the e-bike more demanding than I could ever imagine on my road bike. Don't get me wrong, I love riding my road bike... it's just not the ideal bike for commuting.

As far as renting an e-bike for inexperienced (slow, out of shape) riders in order for them to try and stay up with a fit rider probably isn't the best idea. If a person is used to riding at less than 10 mph and now you're asking him/her to ride 20-28mph (limit of most e-bikes in north america) you're just asking for an accident to happen. I think a person needs quite a bit of experience to handle a bike at those speeds.

If I only rode my bicycles in ideal weather conditions, I wouldn't be getting in much riding. Between October and April, I pretty much count on my recreational rides to be in adverse conditions - cold and/or wet. Same with the commutes. When I need to be faster - I take the scooter. When I need to deal with snow or ice (which is rare) then it's the car or the bus. Most of us can't count on just one mode of transportation.

Last edited by InTheRain; 10-23-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 02:43 PM
InTheRain

Originally Posted by caloso
Perhaps it is. *shrug*
Yeah. That's what I thought. You just keep thinking you're better than everyone else. Have a good day. Hopefully you get dropped on your next ride.

It's crazy that there are those individuals that view bicycle commuting as a competition.
Old 10-23-15, 02:51 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Yeah. That's what I thought. You just keep thinking you're better than everyone else. Have a good day. Hopefully you get dropped on your next ride.
Not cool.

I would love to hear your thoughts.
You asked for commentary. You got some.

Welcome to the internet.
Old 10-23-15, 02:54 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have two very nice cars; I ride because I like to ride.

If I wanted a powered two-wheeler I'd get another motorcycle...
Old 10-23-15, 02:57 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Ooh, I like that idea. I could see something that would allow my wife to ride with me being nice. Right now, our vastly different riding styles means we never ride together. We used to and both got massively frustrated.
Perhaps a different approach might help.

I am much faster than my wife, unless we are riding together. Then the ride is about being with her rather than being fast...
Old 10-23-15, 02:59 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wimpmobile.
Old 10-23-15, 03:03 PM
InTheRain

Originally Posted by Squeeze
Not cool.

You asked for commentary. You got some.

Welcome to the internet.
Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the commentary. I'm only giving my comments and sharing my experience to alleviate some concerns or misconceptions about e-bike commuting.

When someone comes in and tries to belittle others, then I don't mind seeing that person get humbled. So yeah, if Caloso thinks he is some hot shot roadie/racer that thinks it's cool tell someone that is riding an e-bike that it's actually not riding a bike at all, then I hope he gets dropped on his training rides and races... and often. The majority of the people in this world do not ride bicycles for fitness or racing, we don't need someone that does that to come in and tell us that is the purpose of commuting.
Old 10-23-15, 03:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Flat landers dont understand the Hill people .. The Dutch Buy E bikes because there is nothing to slow down 40+ Knot winds
Coming off the North Sea.
Old 10-23-15, 03:10 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

It's crazy that there are those individuals that view bicycle commuting as a competition.
I think you misunderstood his reply. Maybe I did too, - I don't know. Anyway, for some of us, a major part of the reason we ride bikes is that they are human powered. I get enjoyment, satisfaction, and improved fitness/health from that. By putting a motor on a bike, even it's pedal assist, you are blurring the lines between a bike, a scooter, or a moped.

Just like a lot of people would prefer riding a bike over a moped or a scooter, many people will likely continue to prefer traditional bikes over e-bikes. If that's snobbish, well, so be it. It's not saying that there's not a place for an e-bike. They could be a godsend for people who would otherwise drive.

I also enjoy sailing quite a bit. If you were to mount a giant battery operated fan on a sailboat, it wouldn't change that much about the mechanics of how a sailboat is propelled but it would change the experience of sailing in a pretty fundamental way. My wife might prefer it. I wouldn't.

In a small way, biking to work gives me a sense of accomplishment, - especially on a cold snowy day. I don't get a feeling of accomplishment from driving and doubtfully would get it from riding an e-bike. For me it's not just about getting from A to B in the quickest and easiest way possible.

Again, it that makes me a snob, I can live with it. I also recognize that my motives aren't the same as everybody elses. I don't think of e-bikes as a bad thing.

Last edited by tjspiel; 10-23-15 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 03:15 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would love to know the reason for this attitude/opinion. It sounds snobbish. Maybe it's not intended to be, but that's the way it sounds. I don't agree.
You can't stand it that the world of cyclists does not share your love for e-bikes. Ride your ride and enjoy it. Some of us want the simplicity of normal bicycles. I ride just one bike and don't own a car and I take my vacations touring on my bicycle. I don't want the complexity. I don't want to try to charge my bike while traveling cross country. I enjoy the self empowered feeling I get by traveling under only the energy in my muscles.

Is that what you call snobbish?
Old 10-23-15, 03:26 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
When someone comes in and tries to belittle others, then I don't mind seeing that person get humbled. So yeah, if Caloso thinks he is some hot shot roadie/racer that thinks it's cool tell someone that is riding an e-bike that it's actually not riding a bike at all, then I hope he gets dropped on his training rides and races... and often.
Go ahead and quote the part where Caloso said or even hinted at being a hot shot roadie/racer or anything else quoted above.

And if you think Caloso said anything to belittle you - which I don't believe he did - I can't wait to read your reaction to the guy who called your e-bike a Wimpmobile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.