Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized calls for the Future Shock assembly to be replaced every 500 hours

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized calls for the Future Shock assembly to be replaced every 500 hours

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 07:24 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
...I wouldn't buy a road bike with a shock absorber before learning this, I definitely wouldn't now.
Exactly. The service interval on the future shock is only an issue for people who weren't going to buy one anyway.
Old 01-17-18, 08:30 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
So it’s a consumable like brake pads, tires, chains and cassettes?

What’s the problem?
Old 01-17-18, 08:34 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331

What’s the problem?
It is a proprietary part that probably won't be available for love or money in 5 years?
Old 01-17-18, 09:17 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331

What’s the problem?
I enjoy the ride A LOT and besides, I'll stock a few, NOW.

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
It is a proprietary part that probably won't be available for love or money in 5 years?
My prostate cancer treatment was for Gleason 10, I might not be alive in 5 years but I'll ride the ever loving crap out of it while I'm able. In 3.5 weeks I have Bike Sebring 400 mile in 24 hour RAAM Qualifier attempt. Well, there goes 23 hours......
Old 01-17-18, 09:47 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
It seems rather strange that they've stated the interval in hours rather than miles, no? I would think the wear and tear would also be contingent upon the quality of road one rides on and the amount of vibration the unit experiences.
Old 01-17-18, 10:28 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Exactly. The service interval on the future shock is only an issue for people who weren't going to buy one anyway.
Incorrect. I was about to order a Specialized bike w/Future Shock (carbon Sirrus, in my case) as an update of/upgrade of/replacement for my current bike, an older Sirrus.

If this news is accurate, I'm glad I hadn't got round to placing the order and will now be looking at other options.
Old 01-17-18, 10:53 PM
johngwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
500 hours? That's less than 21 days, and I bought my Roubaix last July! It must be toast by now!

But seriously, what is it that wears out exactly? The cartridge seems to be a fairly solid lump of metal, and provided you keep the spring covered in grease, I wouldn't expect any undue wear. What are the signs of excessive wear that indicates a replacement is needed?

Makes me glad I don't use it for commuting, which is where I rack up the miles....
Old 01-17-18, 10:56 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I would imagine that the 500 hrs is quite variable depending on rider and road surface.
Also alot of the people that want the latest suspended wonder bike (Future Shock) will find another "latest and greatest" bike they want to replace it with long before parts availability becomes an issue.
Old 01-17-18, 11:05 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
From the lack of disclosure and to buyers who have already purchased these models, Specialized should at minimum make the first replacement free of charge. I know I'd be upset if I found out after the fact that the bike I bought last year was going to cost me $55 in parts after every 500 hours of use.
No one told me I would need to buy chains every 2,000 miles when I bought a bike.
Old 01-18-18, 12:30 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Third time... Future Shock = Future Slop
Old 01-18-18, 03:14 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I wouldn't buy a road bike with a shock absorber before learning this, I definitely wouldn't now.
If I had the money, I'd probably find a way to justify a lauf fork.
Old 01-18-18, 06:11 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by badger1
Incorrect. I was about to order a Specialized bike w/Future Shock (carbon Sirrus, in my case) as an update of/upgrade of/replacement for my current bike, an older Sirrus.

If this news is accurate, I'm glad I hadn't got round to placing the order and will now be looking at other options.
That's sort of silly. Just get a dozen cartridges if you're so worried about it, and you'll be set for life. Who knows, the shop might even give you a volume discount. For the Sirrius in particular, I'd bet that the vast majority of people spending $2k on a hybrid will never even have to replace a chain let alone the future shock cartridge. The guys at Specialized aren't idiots.
Old 01-18-18, 06:35 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
If Specialized sells these bikes in the hundreds of thousands AND these cartridges are a real wear issue (time will tell) AND become NLA while people still care about these bikes (the big 'if'), I'll be one of the first jumping on the bandwagon to produce a replacement unit/service parts.
Old 01-18-18, 06:52 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
You may want to stock gear hangers as well. To my knowledge, they are the most proprietary part of modern bikes, Through axles seem like a contender for the runner up position.
Old 01-18-18, 07:11 AM
badger1

Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
That's sort of silly. Just get a dozen cartridges if you're so worried about it, and you'll be set for life. Who knows, the shop might even give you a volume discount. For the Sirrius in particular, I'd bet that the vast majority of people spending $2k on a hybrid will never even have to replace a chain let alone the future shock cartridge. The guys at Specialized aren't idiots.
I've no idea what "the vast majority of people spending ... " do or don't do, or how they ride. Neither do you.

I do know roughly how many hours/year I spend on my bike, and I don't like the idea of having to replace a proprietary component of the frameset every year. No thanks; simple as that.
Old 01-18-18, 07:55 AM
scotjonscot

Bikes: some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've no idea what "the vast majority of people spending ... " do or don't do, or how they ride. Neither do you.

I do know roughly how many hours/year I spend on my bike, and I don't like the idea of having to replace a proprietary component of the frameset every year. No thanks; simple as that.
I only rode 3200 miles last year, or 200 hours. I replace my chain every year, tires sometimes more than once per season and my cassette and chainrings about every 4000-5000 miles. All of those items are more money than the FutureShock. Having to replace parts is just routine maintenance. No big deal.
Old 01-18-18, 08:02 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Let's assume I don't. Specialized does. Do you think they would design a bike that people don't want to buy? Specialized is a big company that invests a lot of money in market research and new product development. They usually have a pretty good idea how many bikes they are going to sell before they make the first one, and they have a very good idea of the profile of the target market for each model.

Then you are not their target market for that bike. They are looking for customers who are willing to pay a premium for the latest technology and don't really care how long it will last. It's like getting mad at apple for not putting a headphone jack in the iphone X. They have to come up with some new gimick every couple of years or people won't be willing to pay premium prices for the latest thing.
Old 01-18-18, 08:20 AM
Jean_TX

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
I assume the team that came up with the name have been fired for naming it correctly.

Love the irony, thanks for brightening my morning with a good laugh
Old 01-18-18, 08:42 AM
Costco hot dogs

Bikes: I got 'em.

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
psssst!

80% of the people who bought a Roubaix or Diverge will never even ride their bike for 500 hours.
Old 01-18-18, 08:51 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Costco hot dogs
80% of the people who bought a Roubaix or Diverge will never even ride their bike for 500 hours.
and 19 of the 20% who do will replace it with the next latest thing in a couple of years anyway so replacement cartridges will never be an issue for them.
Old 01-18-18, 09:59 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Regarding the hours vs miles recommendation, it's a carry over from offroad service intervals. Like my Cannondale example earlier, resetting the needle bearing cages in the lefty was recommended every so many hours. Even things like dirtbikes and 4 wheelers are typically measured in hours regardless of how hard you're riding the engine.

Honestly, as much as I don't think the future shock is a great idea (I'd rather buy a Cannondale Slate and I already own a Trek Domane) I do wonder where this 500 hours recommendation is coming from. Because I just pulled up the S-Works Diverge service manual from their website and in the very lengthy section about installing the future shock cartridge, there was zero mention of any replacement interval. So if Specialized does actually recommend it, they are not at all being up front about it. You assume a service interval for any suspension mountain bike (which is typically in the service manual), but I don't think the average road cyclist is expecting it.
Old 01-18-18, 10:00 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by scotjonscot
I only rode 3200 miles last year, or 200 hours. I replace my chain every year, tires sometimes more than once per season and my cassette and chainrings about every 4000-5000 miles. All of those items are more money than the FutureShock. Having to replace parts is just routine maintenance. No big deal.
I agree with you on that, annual check ups, replacement parts, etc. are par for the proverbial course. My only challenge with this is the proprietary nature of the piece, at least for now. It would be good if they eventually allowed others to manufacture (just like almost every company has done with BB's, bearings, and such), or at the very least commit to support for a determined amount of time like most tech companies do.

This wouldn't be a deal breaker for me from a purchase stand point but it could play a role if I was aware of it at time of purchase (which we also know a large percentage of people won't be). And yep, I am in their target demo.
Old 01-18-18, 10:41 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels

Honestly, as much as I don't think the future shock is a great idea (I'd rather buy a Cannondale Slate and I already own a Trek Domane) I do wonder where this 500 hours recommendation is coming from. Because I just pulled up the S-Works Diverge service manual from their website and in the very lengthy section about installing the future shock cartridge, there was zero mention of any replacement interval. So if Specialized does actually recommend it, they are not at all being up front about it. You assume a service interval for any suspension mountain bike (which is typically in the service manual), but I don't think the average road cyclist is expecting it.
I talked to a few other Specialized stores, some of which are large specialized concept stores, and none of them had been told by Specialized that this is a maintenance part. When they got in touch with Specialized, both the stores that called their dealer tech line consistently got the 500 hours figure.

The unforgivable fault is that they seemed to have concealed this from customers and dealers alike. This is what leaves a bad taste more than anything else. It's a moving part- had they been upfront, it would've been pretty understandable that some maintenance is required (though this interval seems excessive). But the impression the world is left with is that they tried to pull one over on the stakeholders.

Originally Posted by johngwheeler
500 hours? That's less than 21 days, and I bought my Roubaix last July! It must be toast by now!

But seriously, what is it that wears out exactly? The cartridge seems to be a fairly solid lump of metal, and provided you keep the spring covered in grease, I wouldn't expect any undue wear. What are the signs of excessive wear that indicates a replacement is needed?

Makes me glad I don't use it for commuting, which is where I rack up the miles....
There's more to it than most people think.

It's a series spring assembly with a sleeve, piston or two, set of needle bearings and a bumpstop. The bearings being the main point of concern.

Last edited by vinuneuro; 01-18-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-18-18, 10:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
So what happens when it's shot? If it's anything like aging suspension on a car, I would think that it could be hazardous on a bicycle. It'd be weird for a lawsuit-happy corporation to open themselves to that kind of liability.
Old 01-20-18, 07:51 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
That's my feelings as well. There's little chance imo, you'll find that part easily and cheaply in 10 years, maybe not even 5 years. I hate stuff like that, I would definitely not buy one of those bikes.
Based on how widespread the use of FS is in their line, getting parts won't be an issue for the life of the bike. I have it, really like it, and I'm not worried.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.