Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Before dawn and no lights

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Before dawn and no lights

Old 10-11-19, 08:40 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have been having this discussion with my son this week. He has zero period this semester and leaves the house at 6:45-6:50 am. The lights I bought him are pretty good “be seen” lights but he doesn’t rely on them to see the road. But we have another few weeks of DST, so we may have to rethink this.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-12-19, 09:59 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Tombaatar
No one really needs to answer the question "Why?" It was rhetorical. It just amazes me how dumb people are. I feel sorry for the driver that plows into him at an intersection and then has to live with taking him out. A good percentage of the trail has no light at all. I actually had one dude yell at me for killing his night vision when I didnt even see him coming until he was 20 - 30 feet from me.

People are dumb.
... and dumber: no lights, no high visibility clothing, and (!) zero stopping at red traffic lights. It’s a jungle out there :-)
Old 10-12-19, 06:33 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
I think active and passive lighting in the dark is an important part of safety when I’m out.

A concept used in risk management is the “swiss cheese model”. (You can look it up.)

Good conspicuity day and night is something I have control over, and is some cheese for my safety.

It is not armor plating.
Old 10-12-19, 06:54 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I use three extremely bright headlights, a fantastic rear light, highly reflective clothing, and ride defensively. Still, at least twice a week a vehicle absolutely and completely does not see me. I think part of the problem is our size. We are small, much smaller than a car, smaller than a motorcycle. Even with all these proactive measures and being totally paranoid, I still get missed routinely. The reality is just that riding a bike in this city is just dangerous. Caveat emptor.
Old 10-13-19, 08:59 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
...... Even with all these proactive measures and being totally paranoid, I still get missed routinely. .....
Beats the alternative, keep it up!
Old 11-14-19, 10:31 AM
SwoozM8

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh. Atleast get a phone mount and use your phone flashlight or smth. LIGHT ARE CHEAP! GET EM!
Old 11-16-19, 03:48 PM
Necrohazard
The Jon Snow of Cycling

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I honestly feel like a lot of people just don't think ahead. Or think safety rules or whatever else don't apply to them. I'm sure even some of them are afraid of "looking stupid" or "dorky". I'd rather look stupid and dorky than dead. Just sayin.