Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Avoiding the Cold Weather Road Cycling?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Avoiding the Cold Weather Road Cycling?

Old 11-05-19, 04:18 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Personally I'd rather cycle in cold than hot.
And since I'm in San Diego I never have to do either!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 11-05-19, 08:11 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
That bar positioning is like the inverse of @timtak.
Likes For Dan333SP:
Old 11-05-19, 08:27 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
That bar positioning is like the inverse of @timtak.
Katmit bars, and katmit saddle position too.

I have returned to my super high saddle position too (the below from 5 years ago) to save my ageing knees.

Leg position
by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr

"For a while I reduced the height of my saddle so that my feet were horizontal at their most extended position due to the advice of other kind cyclist. However, due to my poor cycling form where I push too much and do not follow the circle of the pedal sufficiently, my advanced age, and the sheer amount that I ride, my knees suffered in this more conventional foot-flat-at-the-bottom position. I was still pushing at the bottom, attempting in vain to elongate the crank, and compacting my knees with deleterious effect. Now that I am back to the above position, I am forced to be always pushing (or pulling) the pedal around, and prevented from stomping on on the crank. I am very hopeful that my knees will be okay.

I think that I may have designed this elevated saddle position partly because my knees were hurting when I started cycling due to jogging, and running, while overweight. That is why I gave up running and moved to cycling. This timtak saddle position is also, for me, the save your knees position. "

And I will soon be using my motorcycle handlebar fairings again to avoid the cold weather.

Hand Fairing

Hand Fairing

Here is to individualism and longevity...
Likes For timtak:
Old 11-05-19, 09:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Mogul and tim in one thread?!?!

Christmas came early.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-05-19, 10:37 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts

Old 11-06-19, 05:13 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Mogul and tim in one thread?!?!

Christmas came early.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-06-19, 09:10 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
...the Pinarello in its new home here as it made it with no issues or damage at all..

Aside from the handlebar being jacked?
Old 11-06-19, 03:24 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
We are now settled into our place here in Sri lanka for the last 2 weeks and the rains are finally letting up giving to very warm and humid conditions. Where are you in Sri lanka..? We are just a few miles south of Colombo right on the Indian Ocean..here is the Pinarello in its new home here as it made it with no issues or damage at all..

That was a joke son....Sri Lanka? My "local" Y is MY Sri Lanka. Now I WISH I could be there too but I just have to slum it at my local Y, in spin class no less.

Enjoy you time there. I'm sure you will have more fun than me sitting in a dark room "sweating to the oldies."

john
Likes For rutan74:
Old 11-22-19, 06:42 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

With saddle and bars at the same height, I guess that the DOGMA rider must catch quite a lot of cold wind.

I have fitted the same fairings to my LOOK, just in time for the winter chill. I find that it is only my hands and feet that get cold. My hands don't get cold if I use hand fairings.

Look with Fairings by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
And my feet don't get cold as I am using PET bottle covers (from a 100 yen store, but similar bottle covers can be purchased online even more cheaply) on my shoes. The fact that they do not fit helps ensure that there is an insulating empty space at the toe.

Bottle and Shoe Covers by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr

Summer all year round.

Last edited by timtak; 11-22-19 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added aliexpress link
Likes For timtak:
Old 11-25-19, 03:00 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Originally Posted by timtak
With saddle and bars at the same height, I guess that the DOGMA rider must catch quite a lot of cold wind.

I have fitted the same fairings to my LOOK, just in time for the winter chill. I find that it is only my hands and feet that get cold. My hands don't get cold if I use hand fairings.

And my feet don't get cold as I am using PET bottle covers (from a 100 yen store, but similar bottle covers can be purchased online even more cheaply) on my shoes. The fact that they do not fit helps ensure that there is an insulating empty space at the toe.

Summer all year round.
Negative on the cold wind here with temps every day in excess of 34C up to about 38C in late afternoons...Not had the DOGMA out yet as I been riding my trek district single speed belt drive. Still not in the mood to get it dirty..
Old 11-26-19, 06:30 AM
timtak

Negative on the cold wind here with temps every day in excess of 34C up to about 38C in late afternoons...Not had the DOGMA out yet as I been riding my trek district single speed belt drive. Still not in the mood to get it dirty..
34C?! You mean 34F. It won't get that low for another week here yet apparently.
Old 11-26-19, 08:52 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
At 34C I ride. At 34F I don't!
Old 11-26-19, 01:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Winter is finally setting in. We had a come snowy October, then it all melted away.
Old 11-26-19, 02:13 PM
timtak

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
At 34C I ride. At 34F I don't!
If you get some hand fairings it is pretty painless to ride even at freezing point, or as far as I can remember from last year.
Old 12-01-19, 06:52 PM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak

Summer all year round.
Smart. Ive noticed that “insulating space” is key in gloves/fingerstips. I’m guessing toes are the same.
Old 12-01-19, 06:55 PM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Got some full neoprene gloves. They’re much better than even super stiff big winter gloves.

The Sweat makes your hands warm. Genius! I will invent suits to swim in cold water out of this stuff!
Old 12-01-19, 07:29 PM
timtak

Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Smart. Ive noticed that “insulating space” is key in gloves/fingerstips. I’m guessing toes are the same.
Yes. I have a great pair of xxl Shimano over gloves. I have patched them many times because I have not been able to find another pair with insulating space, which I don't need now that I have fairings.
Mended Glove by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr I have long fingers.

Neoprene is good too but the sweat is a problem. I put holes in the tips for it to drip out. Too much information.

Last edited by timtak; 12-01-19 at 09:32 PM.
Likes For timtak:
Old 03-26-20, 03:35 AM
trekmogul 

Was scheduled to arrive back in NW ohio mid april but as it looks right now, we are on hold with all ports of entry (airports) UFN .. We are just fine hunkered down under this 24hour a day curfew UFN.....We have had no cases of virus reported in last 2 days with just over a 100 reported. They went all out and have shut the entire island down with curfew.. I am good though even with no alcohol sales indefinite..

Old 03-26-20, 03:43 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

^^ Stay safe. You may be there another month or two.
Old 03-26-20, 06:35 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by datlas
^^ Stay safe. You may be there another month or two.

Oh we can sure hold out no problem but unable to get on my bike and ride..! All good in this toasty weather..
Old 03-26-20, 06:36 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Oh we can sure hold out no problem but unable to get on my bike and ride..! All good in this toasty weather..
Time to get on Zwift.