Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Strava

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-19, 10:11 AM
k0guz

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, 2016 REI Mazama hybrid, 2023 Tern D7i folding bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Here's another thought.

How soon will Strava appear in a murder mystery or spy thriller as an alibi? "I couldn't have been at the scene of the crime. Look at my Strava ride report!"

Likes For k0guz:
Old 10-21-19, 12:07 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by k0guz
Here's another thought.

How soon will Strava appear in a murder mystery or spy thriller as an alibi? "I couldn't have been at the scene of the crime. Look at my Strava ride report!"

Old 10-21-19, 12:14 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by canklecat
.. I mostly use Wahoo Fitness to record my rides and walks, then transfer the data to Strava. I was already doing that before Strava discontinued support for Bluetooth and ANT+ devices. .
I'm still struggling to understand the "logic" behind Strava's decision about ceasing support for directly connecting devices via their app. Don't all the other apps support this also, and they aren't whining about them crashing their applications
Old 10-21-19, 12:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I'm still struggling to understand the "logic" behind Strava's decision about ceasing support for directly connecting devices via their app. Don't all the other apps support this also, and they aren't whining about them crashing their applications
Dunno, but I'd guess it's the difference between Strava supporting an international network with some realtime features, and other apps working mostly at the phone level until the closed log is uploaded.

I've used only a few Bluetooth/ANT+ monitors with various apps -- no Zwift, etc. With Wahoo Fitness, Cyclemeter and others, all the interactions during an activity are confined to the phone. Even if there's some location based interaction -- a signal for an upcoming segment or circuit for intervals or laps -- it's based on GPS, not interfacing with an app network.

Cyclemeter specifies it records only to the phone by default. The user must choose to share data. Wahoo Fitness appears to work the same way, although it's difficult to find a company statement about that.

I'm betting it has more to do with security concerns that merely integrating wireless devices into Strava. But it'll be months or years before we know for certain. It's common for companies to stay quiet about security vulnerabilities and exploits until they've patched it and identified a possible hacker individual, organization or nation. (See the recent news about exploits in Avast and CCleaner.) They don't want to tip the hackers that the targeted organization is aware of being probed.
Old 10-21-19, 12:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I can't believe that many people use their phones as their bike computers.
Old 10-21-19, 12:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by k0guz
Here's another thought.

It's already sorta happened in real life.

Military and diplomatic personnel have been warned to be careful using fitness trackers because the logs can be misused to identify security vulnerabilities.

Some news reports dumbed down the concerns to claim that the government was worried about fitness trackers revealing "secret" locations or some such nonsense. There aren't many, if any, truly secret bases or installations. Enemies can find out more just Googling around.

But posting fitness activities can reveal habits and patterns that could be used to identify times and places where an installation is vulnerable.

It also reveals installations where discipline is lax. Most military personnel are young and full of beans, piss and vinegar -- men and women. The culture promotes self confidence bordering on arrogance and recklessness (been there, done that). Without consistent training and discipline they're likely to reveal bits of info that should be kept confidential. This is basic military practice dating back over a century, but needs to be reinforced continuously. Back in the day we had training sessions with comic books -- seriously, the military used the comic book format to reinforce teaching with visual aids, since some young military folks don't all read at the same level. It's effective but a little silly. The books included warnings about pogie bait or pogey bait (mostly stuff used by locals in foreign duty stations to entrap and blackmail military personnel), booby traps, complaining or talking too much and too loudly about assignments while drinking with buddies, etc.

Then, as now, most "hacking" isn't actually code breaking. It's social engineering -- psychological manipulations to gain the confidence of marks and extract information.
Old 10-21-19, 01:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by caloso
I can't believe that many people use their phones as their bike computers.
You mean instead of something like a generic speedometer, odometer, etc., or full blown computer like a Garmin, Wahoo or similar device?

I use a phone because I already have one, it's inexpensive and does what I need. I start the app, stick the phone in my pocket and don't look at it again until I'm home.

I can't justify the cost of a Garmin or Wahoo (maybe a Bryton) -- those cost more than I spend on an entire bike.

I have simple wireless bike computers but don't even have them mounted on the bikes at the moment. Took 'em off a few months ago while modifying my bikes, never got around to putting them back on. I don't really need to know much info while riding. I just go by feel. My energy level is so erratic that even a power meter wouldn't do me any good. Some days I can crank out 300 watts or more for several minutes on a climb; other days I can barely move my feet in circles.

I do have a mount on one bike for an older iPhone Wahoo device for their heart, cadence and speed sensors, but I use it only on the indoor trainer. The old iPhone 4s battery lasts only about an hour or so mounted on the handlebar with the display on full time. On real rides it's just extra weight and stuff catching the wind like a sail.

Full blown bike computers and power meters, etc., are great for fit folks with consistent health and energy. It's a waste of money for someone like me. One day I'm feeling strong enough to tackle a KOM (which I never get, but have cracked the top ten a few times). Other days I can barely get out of bed and hobble to the bathroom. I don't need Garmin and PowerTap reminding me how wimpy I am.
Old 10-21-19, 03:54 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by canklecat
It also reveals installations where discipline is lax. Most military personnel are young and full of beans, piss and vinegar -- men and women. The culture promotes self confidence bordering on arrogance and recklessness (been there, done that). Without consistent training and discipline they're likely to reveal bits of info that should be kept confidential. This is basic military practice dating back over a century, but needs to be reinforced continuously.
Interesting and likely accurate statement. MANY years ago, I was stationed at Fort Meade briefly following basic training. We ran things on the mainframe (such as they were back then) that resulted in long printouts. We used printer ribbons until they had some holes in them. Still, we had to put them in burn bags for pickup. They were taken to NSA just down the road for destruction... burning.
Old 10-23-19, 04:16 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Strava

I ride mostly in Orange County, CA and am among about 40 age 75+ Strava riders. It is tough to get or hold a KOM with this group; I find to be competitive I need a Garmin and a power meter along with Strava and WK05 power software. A smart trainer also helps on those few bad weather days. With proper training riding with 50+ groups is still possible.