Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sidi Wire 2 Reviews?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sidi Wire 2 Reviews?

Old 10-31-19, 08:24 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Sidi Wire 2 Reviews?

My Sidi Genius 5 shoes are now 8 years old. They are still fully intact (heavy rust on the metal parts, a little wear on the insole and outsole), but I occasionally have some toe area discomfort from them these days. These shoes have approximately 60,000 miles on them. Although I could probably keep wearing them for another 60,000 miles, I'm thinking of buying a new pair of shoes.

I've tried . . .
  • Specialized -- baggy in the toe area.
  • Shimano -- fit funny along the sides of the toe area
  • Fizik -- the collar of the shoe rubs my ankle bones, eventually causing pain, and I got hot spots on the balls of my feet
  • Others (Lake, PI, et al.) -- just don't feel right to my foot
Sidi shoes always seem to fit me well. (I've also got two pair of the equivalent Sidi MTB shoes.) I'm considering either the Sidi Genius 10 or making an upgrade to the Sidi Wire 2.

Does anyone have experience with the Sidi Wire 2? It's pricey. Is it worth it? What recommends it over the Genius level shoes?

Thanks for your experiences.
Old 10-31-19, 08:48 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
My Sidi Genius 5 shoes are now 8 years old. They are still fully intact (heavy rust on the metal parts, a little wear on the insole and outsole), but I occasionally have some toe area discomfort from them these days. These shoes have approximately 60,000 miles on them. Although I could probably keep wearing them for another 60,000 miles, I'm thinking of buying a new pair of shoes.

I've tried . . .
  • Specialized -- baggy in the toe area.
  • Shimano -- fit funny along the sides of the toe area
  • Fizik -- the collar of the shoe rubs my ankle bones, eventually causing pain, and I got hot spots on the balls of my feet
  • Others (Lake, PI, et al.) -- just don't feel right to my foot
Sidi shoes always seem to fit me well. (I've also got two pair of the equivalent Sidi MTB shoes.) I'm considering either the Sidi Genius 10 or making an upgrade to the Sidi Wire 2.

Does anyone have experience with the Sidi Wire 2? It's pricey. Is it worth it? What recommends it over the Genius level shoes?

Thanks for your experiences.
I went from sidi genius to sidi wire push and there was a huge difference in stiffness, like a new pair of shoes that never break in.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-31-19, 08:55 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I went from sidi genius to sidi wire push and there was a huge difference in stiffness, like a new pair of shoes that never break in.
Did you consider that good or bad?

Supposedly one of the changes from Wire to Wire 2 is more flexibility in the toe area of the sole. But then . . . it could just be marketingspeak.
Old 10-31-19, 07:08 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Did you consider that good or bad?

Supposedly one of the changes from Wire to Wire 2 is more flexibility in the toe area of the sole. But then . . . it could just be marketingspeak.
I'm assuming that there is some sort of superior power transfer with the stiffer soles.
In comparison my sidi genius cycling shoes felt like an old comfortable pair of slippers.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-01-19, 09:53 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Sidi shoes are on sale at Merlin Cycles. In the past they would not ship to the US, but that doesn't seem to be the case now.

https://bikes.merlincycles.com//sear...eid=7e1e52bc6e
Old 11-01-19, 11:18 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
I have Wires and the fit is incredible, and the sole is super stiff. I also have Drakos (the MTB version of Wire), and the construction of the upper is suspect for off-road purposes. I suspect if you were to crash on the road, the Wire uppers might suffer pretty badly also, but who plans for that? I would endorse Wires for the road, but I've gone back to Dragon 4s for MTB....because I do plan for that
Old 11-01-19, 04:21 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Same here, although I had an intermediate pair and I can't recall the model off the top of my head. I still use the genius 5 on my indoor trainer. Still going strong!

The wire push is a much sturdier feeling shoe due to the stiffness, but it's also amazingly a lot lighter. I also feel like my foot fits "in" the shoe better with much less likelihood of falling out. Not that it ever did with the genius 5 shoes, it just sort of feels like it might.

I don't really care about the wire closures, the old ratchet was fine for me but hey, that's what the shoe came with and it was on crazy sale when I bought it.