Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Giant Revolt 2 2020 Aluminum Gravel Bike

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 08:12 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

So a little over a year ago I saw the *prototype* gravel bike from Giant and I had a cheeky response:

When I posted this is wasn't revealed that the bike would actually be the Revolt Advanced (sans SX) and I was happy when it was revealed as the Revolt. However there were only carbon models leaving the original Revolt to be superseded by the Toughroad GX.

I have a Toughroad and used it for a year. While I liked the tire clearance, the front end felt too floppy and the rear end was too long and sapped a lot of my power from pedaling. Recently however, Giant announced & re-released the Revolt ALUXX model and I was very interested.

There weren't many *actual* reviews of the bike and a lot of misinformation that led me to shy away from it, but I did find one bike shop that was sorta close (~90 miles lol) so I took a trip to go see it in person and try it out and I'm really glad I did because I discovered some very important differences between this and the Carbon:
  • Tire clearance: The fork clearance is basically unchanged however the Revolt ALUXX has 430mm chainstays (vs 425mm Advanced). I noticed the ALUXX model had more generous mud clearance around the similar sized 38c tires.
  • Bottom Bracket: So not good that it comes with a square taper BB as I prefer hollowtech cranks. HOWEVER the BB by proxy is threaded and not press-fit.
At $1000 this is probably one of the most impressive values for a gravel bike: massive 45+ tire clearance, threaded BB, and thru-axle wheels that are tubeless-ready out of the box. I didn't mention the ride but from my short session with it on some climbs and descents it was a night-and day difference between my Toughroad. While I enjoyed most of my time on the Toughroad, I will be selling it as I wait for my Revolt to come in. I will keep this updated once I have my Revolt in hand as well so I can hopefully answer any questions.
Old 11-01-19, 08:28 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
I have a Toughroad and used it for a year. While I liked the tire clearance, the front end felt too floppy and the rear end was too long and sapped a lot of my power from pedaling. Recentl
There weren't many *actual* reviews of the bike and a lot of misinformation that led me to shy away from it, but I did find one bike shop that was sorta close (~90 miles lol) so I took a trip to go see it in person and try it out and I'm really glad I did because I discovered some very important differences between this and the Carbon:

• Tire clearance: The fork clearance is basically unchanged however the Revolt ALUXX has 430mm chainstays (vs 425mm Advanced). I noticed the ALUXX model had more generous mud clearance around the similar sized 38c tires.
  • Bottom Bracket: So not good that it comes with a square taper BB as I prefer hollowtech cranks. HOWEVER the BB by proxy is threaded and not press-fit.
At $1000 this is probably one of the most impressive values for a gravel bike: massive 45+ tire clearance, threaded BB, and thru-axle wheels that are tubeless-ready out of the box. I didn't mention the ride but from my short session with it on some climbs and descents it was a night-and day difference between my Toughroad. While I enjoyed most of my time on the Toughroad, I will be selling it as I wait for my Revolt to come in. I will keep this updated once I have my Revolt in hand as well so I can hopefully answer any questions.
If you are close to Canada you can go buy a Full 105 version! Canada offers a 0, 1, and 2
America only gets the 2.

I would be tempted to buy the 2. but by the time I swapped the Crankset, Brakes, Seatpost I'd be better off just driving to CA and buying the full 105 zero version of the bike.

Oh you are pretty Close to Giant Toronto. 650 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M6J 1E4, Canada
Old 11-01-19, 08:48 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Originally Posted by Metieval
If you are close to Canada you can go buy a Full 105 version! Canada offers a 0, 1, and 2
America only gets the 2.

I would be tempted to buy the 2. but by the time I swapped the Crankset, Brakes, Seatpost I'd be better off just driving to CA and buying the full 105 zero version of the bike.

Oh you are pretty Close to Giant Toronto. 650 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M6J 1E4, Canada
Yeah I was looking into that too. I already put half down at one of my LBS. I’m having them change out the stem and they’re gonna order the D-Fuse handlebars, which I really liked when I tried the Advanced. I’ll be changing the cranks myself from 175mm to 170mm Sora cranks that also have a 46-30 chainring combo.

My issue is that I’m really on a tight budget for now so trying to get the 105 would be too much atm. I have Sora on my other bike and I’ve had no issues whatsoever. My plan is to ride it for the next year/two as is and hopefully they’ll trickle down a 9-Speed hydro lever that’s cross-compatible with old Sora. That or I’ll upgrade to 2x10 GRX.
Likes For DarKris:
Old 11-02-19, 03:05 AM
Metieval

I actually went to the local Giant dealer to buy the one they have sitting on the floor.

The Reason I didn't buy the AUXX Revolt was because of the Downtube not being fully welded at the BB shell. I had a frame like that before, and I hated it. Especially on long rides.

I guess the only way I'd buy the Giant is if they let me take one on a 70 Mile demo ride. I am guessing the LBS wouldn't go for it.
Old 11-02-19, 07:23 AM
DarKris

I actually went to the local Giant dealer to buy the one they have sitting on the floor.

The Reason I didn't buy the AUXX Revolt was because of the Downtube not being fully welded at the BB shell. I had a frame like that before, and I hated it. Especially on long rides.
I never knew bikes that didn't have full welding at the BB had that issue. Granted I'm not sure why it's an issue, and I'm not sure if I'll ride that long in one sitting.

Last edited by DarKris; 11-02-19 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-02-19, 11:02 AM
DarKris

Oh well in that case that just means that I’ll have even more efficient pedal strokes so I guess that’s a win for me. If I ever decide to do an extended weekend ride then I guess I’ll see for myself.
Old 11-02-19, 04:51 PM
Metieval

Oh well in that case that just means that I’ll have even more efficient pedal strokes so I guess that’s a win for me. If I ever decide to do an extended weekend ride then I guess I’ll see for myself.
for some people they will never notice it.
for people like me.... I'll notice it, and I'll hate it.

I'd just just rather run full external cable housing, than to cheap out on Internal cable routing.

However...... that's me.

For you, the Revolt as it is way better than the Toughroad. It's a win.

My attraction to the AUXX Revolt was the threaded BB as a winter beater bike. And I voice because Somehow I hope that word gets back to Giant. Because this Probably Crossed the Advanced off my list too. If they are willing to cheap out on the AUXX frame, where did they cheap out on the Advanced frame?
Old 11-13-19, 10:27 PM
DarKris

Got the bike from my LBS Tuesday. Had them swap the saddle/bars. Went with the D-Fuse bars in 46cm since it came with the Contact XR bars. Saddle was half-off since it was a take-off but it’s more comfortable from first impressions. Added the Maxxis Rambler 45c’s that I previously purchased elsewhere. Haven’t ridden since I had more to swap on my own:

Threaded BB. Swapped the Square Taper for a Hollowtech II

Rear tire clearance

Front tire clearance

Subtle asymmetric chainstay

Added my Metrea 46-32 crankset
Old 11-14-19, 01:24 AM
Metieval

that color looks really nice!

Congrats!!!
Old 11-14-19, 07:33 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Congratulations. Now go ride it and enjoy.
Frank.
Old 11-15-19, 02:41 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Nice! Looks really nice in person with those photos. Rambler 45's make it look great too!
Old 11-16-19, 05:02 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Nice looking bike!
Old 11-18-19, 10:06 PM
DarKris

Update: got my 650b wheels in. They’re 30mm wide internally and the 1.9 Gravelking SKs measures around 52mm at 40-45PSI. Should probably stretch a bit but even so the clearance is phenomenal.

Last edited by DarKris; 11-19-19 at 08:23 AM.
Likes For DarKris:
Old 12-28-19, 07:13 PM
DarKris

So I did some more tire testing however this time I finally decided to test my 29 x 1.9” Specialized Ground control tires on the stock rims. Here are the results:

So they fit. They measure up to 47mm on these rims which is basically Road Plus on a 700c rim. The clearance is very similar to when I’m running 650b x 50mm tires so I’m comfortable with it. The only issue is that it’s close to the derailleur when it’s shifted to the large chainring, however for me this won’t be an issue since I’m going 1x anyway 😬
Likes For DarKris:
Old 01-07-20, 12:20 PM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Very nice. And I swear I can hear my Toughroad whispering "no no" behind me as I type this.
Old 05-23-20, 02:28 AM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
That hole at the bottom bracket / bottom tube junction is such a no - no in my books - i've seen it in the Norco Search and also in the Merida Silex. All these are on aluminium bikes - must have come from the same factory......only a NOOB would be Ok with something like that - it does nothing for the bike - it lets in debris/mud/water and makes it less strong around the area where the most power/torque goes through.
Likes For Machoman121:
Old 05-23-20, 02:50 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Machoman121
That hole at the bottom bracket / bottom tube junction is such a no - no in my books - i've seen it in the Norco Search and also in the Merida Silex. All these are on aluminium bikes - must have come from the same factory......only a NOOB would be Ok with something like that - it does nothing for the bike - it lets in debris/mud/water and makes it less strong around the area where the most power/torque goes through.
seeing Giant do that on this aluminum model makes me doubt their carbon Advanced Revolt and where they cut corners on the Advanced model.

So I just ordered a RLT 9 RDO
Old 05-23-20, 06:37 AM
DarKris

seeing Giant do that on this aluminum model makes me doubt their carbon Advanced Revolt and where they cut corners on the Advanced model.

After I saw the 2020 RLTs I was considering them, although even the aluminum frame is out of my budget.

Looking at it though it seems that the aluminum RLT frame also has a hole at the bottom of the BB for cables, albeit not as big as the Revolt:

​​​​​​

Well hey if my bike fails at the BB junction where all of this connects I’ll be happy to admit that the design is terrible. Till then 😬👍🏾
Old 05-23-20, 06:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6938 Post(s)
Liked 10,941 Times in 4,675 Posts
Apparently neither of you understand that hole's purpose.

It's a feature, not a fault.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-23-20, 02:41 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Koyote
Apparently neither of you understand that hole's purpose.

It's a feature, not a fault.

the sun has a purpose too, but you can get sun burns from it. but hey its a feature, not a fault!
Old 05-23-20, 02:46 PM
Metieval

After I saw the 2020 RLTs I was considering them, although even the aluminum frame is out of my budget.

Looking at it though it seems that the aluminum RLT frame also has a hole at the bottom of the BB for cables, albeit not as big as the Revolt:

​​​​​​

Well hey if my bike fails at the BB junction where all of this connects I’ll be happy to admit that the design is terrible. Till then 😬👍🏾
at least Niner , on the ALuminum frame, puts a plug in it.

Anyone that has ever shoved a cork in their bar ends understands the purpose of muting the raw edge. The open down tube is nothing more than budget move, Ever watch a budget movie? Ever see the size of pot holes in a county/city that cut the budget?

I've ridden the Open ended down tube designed frame before, it sucks. No ifs about it budget moves and cutting corners is just a bad thing. always will be.
Old 05-23-20, 04:03 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6938 Post(s)
Liked 10,941 Times in 4,675 Posts
the sun has a purpose too, but you can get sun burns from it. but hey its a feature, not a fault!
That has no connection to the issue at hand… But I guess a poor analogy is better than admitting that you don’t know what you’re talking about.
Old 05-23-20, 04:41 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Koyote
That has no connection to the issue at hand… But I guess a poor analogy is better than admitting that you don’t know what you’re talking about.
more so than you. I have actual experience on a frame made like the subject is talking about.
yeah duh they needed an exit for the internal cables purpose and feature, but that " Feature" / "purpose" didn't make the bike frame better it made it a dead sluggish pig of a frame, prone to vibration and gave it a very harsh ride.
Old 05-23-20, 04:46 PM
DarKris

at least Niner , on the ALuminum frame, puts a plug in it.

Anyone that has ever shoved a cork in their bar ends understands the purpose of muting the raw edge. The open down tube is nothing more than budget move, Ever watch a budget movie? Ever see the size of pot holes in a county/city that cut the budget?

I've ridden the Open ended down tube designed frame before, it sucks. No ifs about it budget moves and cutting corners is just a bad thing. always will be.
Like I said it’s not something that affects me in a way where I cannot ride the bike. And honestly it doesn’t bother me at all nor does it’s existence offend me in any sort of way. It’s very condescending to suggest that I should not accept that they designed this bike with that routing spot.

I’ve heard dozens more complaints about manufacturers using press-fit bottom brackets than I ever had about this. My opinion would be the same about that - I don’t mind it and it doesn’t hurt anyone.
Likes For DarKris:
Old 05-23-20, 04:52 PM
Metieval

just because something doesn't bug you, doesn't make it less true.

for those that it will bug,,,, here it is out in the open and being talked about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.