Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Question for Bay Area commuters

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 11-20-19, 04:46 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts

Anybody try the Richmond Bridge MUP yet? What are your thoughts? I haven't had enough free time on my days off to ride it yet.
Old 11-27-19, 08:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
looks great! is it two-way?

Old 11-27-19, 11:00 PM
radii

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I rode up from San Francisco last weekend to check it out. The bridge path itself is decent. In comparison to the Golden Gate Bridge path:
  • There is a centerline down the path, and it is wide enough for riders to pass each other safely.
  • There are no poles, storage containers, outhouses or other items along the path, so the path is the same width all the way across. This was very nice in contrast to all the stuff along the Golden Gate Bridge path.
  • There are no wider spots for stopping to rest or take in the view. People did tend to stop on the path at the high points of the bridge and there was enough room to get around them.
  • There is a concrete barrier between the path and the car lanes, but I felt more vulnerable than on the Gate Bridge.
  • There is more climbing on the than the Golden Gate Bridge. I think the maximum height of the two bridges is about the same (250ft?), but the Richmond bridge goes all the way down to sea level on the San Rafael side. The good news is that the slope is gentle.
  • Accessing the path from San Francisco involved riding along a marked but completely unprotected shoulder of 580. I believe you could avoid this by approaching from the North (from San Rafael). I’m not sure what access is like from the East Bay.

Overall it was fine for getting across the bay, but I don’t think I’ll ride it regularly just for the fun of it. This is similar to how I view the Golden Gate Bridge: I ride across it because I want to get to the other side, not because I want to be on the bridge.
Old 11-27-19, 11:22 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
While I don't currently have any plans for another trip up the coast, If I find myself heading north I'll probably give it a try instead of the ferry out of Alameda. I know in the fall the winds can be outrageous on that bridge, so I'd be doing a weather check prior to departure.

-Kedosto