Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Am I a cruiser?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Am I a cruiser?

Old 11-28-20, 09:27 AM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Am I a cruiser?

I gave up cycling for a long time because my injuries wouldn't let me enjoy riding a traditional bike comfortably. It took me many bikes to figure out it wasn't the bike, it was me.

I can't hold my head up, I can't turn it to the left, can't put a lot of weight on my hands due to wrists and shoulders. So I gave up.

Until about a month ago. We rented beach cruisers on vacation and although it was more challenging than I thought it would be trying to ride it, it also seemed therapeutic for my knees, one of which has been replaced.

Before I had given up I had purchased a "comfort" bike. The first was an electra townie that my beach friend made me think I would enjoy. The forward positioning was too forward and I couldn't even lift myself off the seat without pulling on the handlebars. It was awkward to ride and I did not enjoy my neighborhood cruises.

I traded it for a specialized expedition comfort bike. This was much better although not appropriate for enjoying long fast stretches of road. I felt it beneath me to ride a comfort bike.

All that has changed after a thirteen year hiatus. After that vacation I decided to brush off my comfort bike and our old rigid frame mountain bike and cruise the neighborhood. I can actually get nice pretty safe miles here, and I'm close enough to things I can run errands, which is what I used to do in my youth when I lived car free for almost 10 years.

My goals have changed, I am retired and I ride for fun, to get out of the house, and to wave at people. I've noticed a lot of neighborhood riders since covid, I feel like a cyclist again! I think I'm getting only a minimal workout but the riding is helping my lower body not whither away so that's nice. I'm currently suffering from another bout of inflammation in my thoracic spine but my cycling hasn't affected it. I road 12 miles yesterday and 16 the day before.

I retired (from medical microbiology) in March right before the hysteria, I mostly walk my beagles, keep house, and now cycle. I wanted to do normal things like take dance lessons but nothing is normal anymore. I go to the gym some to work out my upper body but I'm limited in that as well. Ya gotta use it though, or it will only get worse.

So I've come back to this forum, I found this beach cruiser folder, that's pretty cool. I like the commuting forum and the utility forum as well.

I am trying to figure out my new identity. What kind of cyclist am I? I don't ride like I used to but I'm enjoying it almost as much. It's mostly neighborhood rides but it's a big enough neighborhood that I don't get bored. I might rig my truck so I can more easily go to the beach or other places that have bike paths, there are more here now than there used to be. The only thing that's not really an option are the long coastal roads and causeways that used to be so much fun to go fast on, I can't really go that fast or buck a headwind.

Here are my current rides. Give me a label and identity. 🤓

The expedition. It does what I want.

The mongoose hilltopper. Repurposed.

Last edited by margoC; 11-28-20 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Likes For margoC:
Old 11-28-20, 04:26 PM
Greg C.

Bikes: 1990 Trek 970, 95 Schwinn Searcher, 2012 Trek Wasabi cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 7 Posts
MargoC welcome back. You ride more upright and for your own enjoyment, never racing or trying to set records but keeping a pace for what you consider personal physical (and mental) therapy. In my non-expert opinion I'd say you're style would fit well into the cruiser category. As far as your bikes they would be probably cruiser or hybrid. But really does it matter? If you enjoy cycling and are comfortable with your bikes for your purposes, that's the main thing. By the way it appears you have some ideal riding conditions overall. Enjoy.
Old 11-29-20, 09:41 AM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty fortunate that I live where I can enjoy simple cruising on my bike, it wouldn't work in some places I've lived in the past. I lived in Beaufort SC back in the late 70's through the 80's. It was the golden age of cycling, the traffic was light, the roads long and scenic, and sometimes windy.

I miss going fast, slicing through the air like I'm flying . ... but I'm finally learning to appreciate the alternatives.

I'm also starting to run some errands on my bike, it brings back memories of my car free days.

I don't know which folder to post in sometimes. I've been enjoying perusing all of them.
Likes For margoC:
Old 12-07-20, 12:32 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
I understand your position. Ive been riding since I was 6 and im now 54. Started on the old Schwinn Stingrays and had a Cruiser as a paperboy. I went through an assortment of bikes from Road, multiple mountain bikes back to road and a recumbent, back to a comfort and Finally back to a Steel Cruiser.

After 30+ years as a mechanic a lot of my joints are shot.my neck, shoulders and wrists wont take leaning over and my kness cant take the backpedaling so I have an Electra Cruiser 7D. Wide range freewheel from 34-11 and hand brakes. Its durable to take on the dirt roads and comfortable to cruise on the pavement by the river. With the 2.125 tires and a Brooks 135 its super nice.

I have fenders and a front rack as needed. Run what you brung and welcome aboard.

Likes For JehD:
Old 12-07-20, 08:02 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I think what you are called is the ignored majority. want/need a comfortable bike, want/need a upright position, want/need a way to carry cargo.

all the sub niches dont really matter just ride.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 12-07-20, 11:23 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Who needs a label? You're a bike rider, miles ahead of being a couch rider.
Likes For 2old:
Old 12-08-20, 07:18 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Are these bikes considered cruisers?

#1 https://evelo.com/products/aurora-li...32084058374255

#2 https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/g...imate-c380-hmb

#3 https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current

#4 https://dostbikes.com/product/drop/

What makes a bicycle a cruiser? Handlebars? Posture? Wheel size? What are your thoughts?
Old 12-08-20, 08:17 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I would classify all 4 as electric bikes not cruisers. Nice bikes if you want electrics but not really cruisers. Roger
Old 12-08-20, 08:46 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
IMO, cruiser implies a feet forward, laid back frame design with balloonish tires, but maybe this is a stilted definition.
Old 12-14-20, 09:57 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
My image of a cruiser starts with the cantilever style frame. Whether the pedals are forward or not doesn't matter in my dream. Big wide expansive handlebars enhance my vision of a cruiser. Flat pedals, maybe platforms, are necessary. One piece cranks are A OK but not mandatory. Big spring saddles help the image. Tires that should be around 2.125" in width. 26" wheels are the standard but other sizes welcome. A chainguard helps the image a lot. Steel for the frames and components is not looked down upon. Carbon fiber frames hardly ever grace a cruiser. Not impossible but cruisers generally don't need the expense or weight reduction that carbon can represent. A lot of cruisers have aluminum frames. Lots of personal touches and customization can be expected that are not decreasing the weight of the bicycle. In fact they can even increase bicycle weight and still be quite acceptable. Springer forks that don't look like telescoping forks on motorcycles and MTB's. Generally cruisers tend to be on the inexpensive end of bicycle ownership costs. That is if you don't gold plate your springer fork or something.