Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

So What Does your Spouse Think of it.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

So What Does your Spouse Think of it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-21, 09:38 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
If I ever team up again she absolutely, positively must (1) already have her own bike and (2) now how to change/repair a flat. We all have our standard

DD
Old 01-08-21, 08:13 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
We have an unspoken agreement, wife rules the house and my bikes and I rule here:

My shop.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-08-21, 09:29 AM
billmckay

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro(2003); 1994 Cannondale R 800

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I find myself riding further and enjoying it more with the Lemond. It is a great bike. However the Lemond is a bit small so I plan on continuing to look for another that may be the perfect bike. Then keep them both; they both would fit fine in the interior closet I have been using to store my bike. I am thinking the perfect bike will be a lightly used Zurich.
Old 01-08-21, 11:46 AM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
I guess I'm lucky - my wife fits the term of an enabler within certain guidelines. I can have as many bikes as I want, provided that they have a hook in the garage. This has lead to very creative hook placements so I can squeeze another in. I'm up to 10 bikes and one tandem now squeezed into a 2 car garage where we park 2 cars everyday.

She has a good eye as well, anytime I have a resto project she is my style consultant - so bar tape, saddle colors and matching a vintage frame color is something that she does well. The only time she rides is on our custom Co Motion tandem, which was our 20th anniversary gift.
Old 01-08-21, 12:07 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 286 Posts
So yesterday was too cold to work in the garage and I brought the Sannino into the living room to cut the cables and wrap the bars. It was the first time my wife had seen it on its wheels. She said, "That's a beautiful bicycle."
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 01-11-21, 12:35 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I haven't had any complaints about my biking from the wife in over 35 years....then, again, we divorced ~37 years ago
Likes For stephr1:
Old 01-11-21, 01:38 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Mabey jig not quite up.

Originally Posted by thumpism
"Where did that white mixte come from?" is what she asked me about an hour after I brought it home. I didn't think she noticed but I guess that jig is up.
I have a friend who collects smaller farm tractors. He probably has at least 20-30 at any time around his 2 acres. They only come and go when his wife is out for the day. He is constantly shuffling them around, but never, ever lines them up in a straight line where they can be easily be counted. When his wife says, is that tractor there a new one?, he says it has been there for three years! It is one of my favorites. Another close call.
Old 01-11-21, 02:22 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 227 Posts
I keep four bikes in an unused bedroom/office/indoor cycling room. I also always keep them locked up (except when in use) by a 15ft 5/8" cable with the biggest, heaviest, thickest padlock.
Old 01-11-21, 04:06 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
My wife approves. She knows where the money is going and what I am doing, Thirty-two bikes.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 01-11-21, 05:43 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Ptcycles
I have a friend who collects smaller farm tractors. He probably has at least 20-30 at any time around his 2 acres. They only come and go when his wife is out for the day. He is constantly shuffling them around, but never, ever lines them up in a straight line where they can be easily be counted. When his wife says, is that tractor there a new one?, he says it has been there for three years! It is one of my favorites. Another close call.
A guy I knew sold motorcycles for years and had all kinds of stories. One customer wanted to buy a blue motorcycle, explaining "I've had six different blue motorcycles since I got married and my wife never noticed the difference."
Old 01-11-21, 06:47 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Every once in a while the "war department" acts up and I have to explain that bikes are leaving regularly. A lot of the mid 80's that are too big for me to ride any longer have left so far. Today's explanation was about new parts that went to Malcala. I don't ask about her two bedrooms full of clothes and keep trying to remove stuff that I can tell her has left the building. Seems to be working so far.... Smiles, MH
Old 01-11-21, 07:09 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

I also make considerable effort to consistently listen to my wife and to love her fully. I think that this helps a lot.

great advice!
Old 01-11-21, 07:25 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
A guy I knew sold motorcycles for years and had all kinds of stories. One customer wanted to buy a blue motorcycle, explaining "I've had six different blue motorcycles since I got married and my wife never noticed the difference."
Had a customer that bought 5 cheap bikes before he got married so that every time he wants a new bike he brings in an old one and tells us to toss it, last I knew the wife never knew the difference.

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Every once in a while the "war department" acts up and I have to explain that bikes are leaving regularly. A lot of the mid 80's that are too big for me to ride any longer have left so far. Today's explanation was about new parts that went to Malcala. I don't ask about her two bedrooms full of clothes and keep trying to remove stuff that I can tell her has left the building. Seems to be working so far.... Smiles, MH
I just don't comment on the zulily or amazon packages and she doesn't mention the bike parts. Also helps that the current parts that showed up are to build wheels for the daughter's bike and next thing being bought is for her.
Old 01-11-21, 08:54 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
my wife thinks its a bit excessive, esp if/when I do a road trip to pick up some out of area coveted bargains (furthest was 13 hours in one day to pick up 3 higher end bikes for lower end prices)...but she gets its been a good way to pass time in the pandemic and is supportive of my renewed interest in riding the collection...but generally she is supportive and money isn't an issue - earlier in our marriage - she would have justifiably had right to question the $$ spent on my whims, the constant flow of mail drops of new parts, etc. On flips, I share the cash sales for pocket money. This makes her think I am doing very well when in reality - I prob just break even
Likes For justcynn:
Old 01-11-21, 10:43 PM
Oldbikeride

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rent a garage

I would put out a wanted ad on social media or maybe craigslist to rent a garage that isn't being used from a close by homeowner. You might even offer to trade some of your labor (such as cutting the lawn or small repairs around the house) in exchange for using their garage.
Old 01-11-21, 11:44 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldbikeride
I would put out a wanted ad on social media or maybe craigslist to rent a garage that isn't being used from a close by homeowner. You might even offer to trade some of your labor (such as cutting the lawn or small repairs around the house) in exchange for using their garage.
I'd be very concerned about my stuff in an offsite rented garage.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 01-12-21, 07:44 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I've had as many as six motorcycles and some scooters at one time. It's easy to drop the price of a bicycle on a few parts on just one motorcycle. So when I gave up riding, (still have a Vespa and her Genuine though) the third stall of the garage keeps a few lawn implements parked in their place which used to be in the shed. She fully embraced motorcycles before we married. She even rebuilt her Honda Nighthawk 650 I bought her because, well, she's good at that kind of thing. So bikes? I just don't lie to her. She knows what I have, what they are and how many there are.
Old 01-12-21, 11:53 AM
chancelucky

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
My wife bought me two of my four bikes as surprise gifts. I also gave her her bike back when we first met. It's hard for her to tell me to get rid of any of the three.
Old 01-13-21, 02:04 AM
Rat Daddy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Howdy fellow bike nuts. I have had a bike of one sort of another since I was 1 maybe 2. In elementary school and he. high I made great money buying and selling bikes. Most I got for free. I have recently gotten into classic and antique bikes. My son's bike was recently stolen. I found an old western flyer in a trash pile. It looked like crap. But I rode it home on the flats. Got home, aired up the tires, and they're still holding air a month later! The tires are rotted and really need to be replaced. I completely disassembled it cleaned everything. I repainted it hunter green and almond fenders with black pinstripes. Fast forward Monday night I found an add on FB for two antique schwinn bikes for$160. Didn't say a word to her just came home with our minivan full of bikes and assorted parts. I found out that only one is schwinn. The other is a 1958 Columbia. The schwinn has a cracked bottom bar. I was going to chunk it in scrap metal pile. But no she wants the schwinn. And as punishment for not telling her what I was doing or where I was going I have to redo her's first. Man ya just got to love that woman.
Old 01-17-21, 11:11 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
My wife puts up with my bike habit because she knows the alternative would be a lot worse.

She actually likes all the bikes hanging in the basement-- they double as clothes drying racks!
Likes For southpawboston:
Old 01-17-21, 01:19 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Not surewhere the question is. It sounds like your spouse is cool with 2 bikes but not more?

my formerr spouse couldve cared less and i amassed quite a collection while with her. As long as the billswere paid she didnt mind my hobbies atall. Being a woman , her miscellaneous expenses (makeup, hair, purses, going out periodically) far exceeded the cost of my bicycle hobby most of the time, but what the hell, we want our wives to look good dont we?

current fiance wishes they wouls all go and blames cycling on my current knee problems (had a new knee installed 2 months ago) - So she was pumped when i started selling off my vintage fleet, but little does she know that proceeds from allmy sale items are going to fund my new mountain bike. She has also mandated that i ride my bike no morethan 3 miles at a time because she doesnt want me over doing it. Thankfully she doesnt follow strava

So my ex wife was completely oblivious and unaware, — my soon to be next wife wishes they would all go. But its not a storage issue at all, i have a warehouse
Old 01-17-21, 09:34 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
On several occasions, my wife has gone into full on "Jules" mode and said "SAY 'BICYCLE' ONE MORE TIME..."

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-18-21, 10:54 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
A friend of mine owns Open Road Bicycle Shop in Altadena, California
This Altadena bike shop’s main attraction involves a giant carousel of clothes – Pasadena Star News
His wife owns the Bunny Museum next door:
https://www.thebunnymuseum.com

So who's more eccentric?

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..