Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

C& O on a fat bike?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

C& O on a fat bike?

Old 01-25-21, 09:56 PM
wardie

Bikes: Giant OCR 3, Kubachi, Trek 820, Iron Horse Trail, 74 Schwinn LeTour, 95 Schwinn LeTour, Ross Euro Tour, Miayata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
C& O on a fat bike?

Has anyone used a fat bike to do either the GAP or C&O trail? I'd be interested in your set up and ay travel tips for a fat bike.
I have a Yukon 2020
Old 01-27-21, 10:55 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by wardie
Has anyone used a fat bike to do either the GAP or C&O trail? I'd be interested in your set up and ay travel tips for a fat bike.
C&O yes, GAP no though I've ridden the GAP on another bike. I'm not sure that I really have any fat bike-specific ideas or tips. Re: set up, my bike is a Surly Pugsley with a Schmidt front hub and a Rohloff rear, full fenders, and a rear rack. I have a homebrew USB charger that runs off the dynamo and a Tigra Sport phone hard case that mounts to my bars. I carry a one-person tent, sleeping pad, and bag and typically not much in the way of cooking supplies - long rides like that are my opportunity to eat junk food all day without consequence.

Not sure if that was helpful exactly but if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to share my limited experience. I actually think both the C&O and GAP are quite boring to be on for days on end but certainly great for solitude and contemplation. The GAP does go through some rural neighborhoods so I would have at hand some kind of solution to being chased by dogs.
Old 01-28-21, 05:38 AM
wardie

Bikes: Giant OCR 3, Kubachi, Trek 820, Iron Horse Trail, 74 Schwinn LeTour, 95 Schwinn LeTour, Ross Euro Tour, Miayata

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks I appreciate the response perfect. I am surprised at the lack of responses though. Maybe their are as many fatbikes out there doing the Gap and C&O?
Old 01-28-21, 06:22 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
...my bike is a Surly Pugsley with a Schmidt front hub and a Rohloff rear, full fenders, and a rear rack...
Pictures of your setup, please! I don't see too many Pugs with full fenders and a rear rack. I've got a Pugs with the offset rear triangle and I'm trying to find a rack setup that will mount nicely back there.
Old 01-28-21, 06:34 AM
avalon_star
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Pictures of your setup, please! I don't see too many Pugs with full fenders and a rear rack. I've got a Pugs with the offset rear triangle and I'm trying to find a rack setup that will mount nicely back there.
Yes, I wanna see it too, bro. I am interested in it
Old 01-28-21, 09:45 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

I've got a Pugs with the offset rear triangle and I'm trying to find a rack setup that will mount nicely back there.
Yeah it was a challenge for sure getting everything to play nicely together. The rack is the Blackburn Outpost Fat Bike Rack and the fenders are from Voltbike. It was a bit of a squeeze into the Pugsley rear triangle, plastic fenders would've probably been a lot easier.

Old 01-29-21, 06:59 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by ericoseveins
Yeah it was a challenge for sure getting everything to play nicely together. The rack is the Blackburn Outpost Fat Bike Rack and the fenders are from Voltbike. It was a bit of a squeeze into the Pugsley rear triangle, plastic fenders would've probably been a lot easier.
Thanks! I see you spaced the left side outboard from the barnacle on the NDS seat stay...did you do the same on the DS -- space it inboard from that one, to more or less center the rack over the tire?
Old 01-29-21, 12:25 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

I do remember trying to do that but IIRC it wasn't a big issue.
Old 02-01-21, 08:59 AM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
I have done the c&o on a cross bike but am going to do it on my Farley next time. I wished I had it last time! The trail was a mess and Traction was at a premium. Saw 1 guy on a fatty and he was hauling butt.
Old 02-17-21, 07:21 AM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wardie
I have a Yukon 2020
Hey while I do not have advise for you I would love to know what you think of your Yukon? It seems like a great bike especially for the price. Just trying to convince my wife of the same thing.
Old 02-17-21, 08:03 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
GAP-C&O on a fat bike is quite doable. It's somewhat road bike territory but a fat bike is fine. It's fairly flat. I tour on a fat bike but my setup is electric assist. I use rack and pannier setup.

I am in the process of redoing my bike setup for really long distance remote travel. I will no doubt warm up with a run on the GAP-C&O. From my home just west of Akron Ohio I can hit the Ohio-Erie Towpath trail and connect to the Montour-GAP trail with only 49 miles of roads. I travel about 80 miles a day with my setup.
Old 02-17-21, 06:52 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by KPREN
I am in the process of redoing my bike setup for really long distance remote travel. I will no doubt warm up with a run on the GAP-C&O. From my home just west of Akron Ohio I can hit the Ohio-Erie Towpath trail and connect to the Montour-GAP trail with only 49 miles of roads. I travel about 80 miles a day with my setup.
What tires do you run on your bike when you configure it for long distance like this?
Old 02-17-21, 08:11 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
What tires do you run on your bike when you configure it for long distance like this?
On the GAP-C&O I would run 26X4.4 Schwalbe Jumbo Jim's at 15 PSI tubeless or a 29X2.25 Schwalbe G One All Around at 26 PSI