Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

ICAN Fat Bike Frame Combo

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 01-29-21, 07:32 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts

I ordered my new fatbike back in October of 2020, and I finally have been riding it for the past couple weeks. So far, it has been absolutely great. I bought the Fat Bike Frame Combo and the DT Swiss hub carbon wheels. The build quality of all the components is excellent.

There was a long wait to get the frame. I received it right around the end of December 2020. I wish they had reached out to me with more information about the delays, even if it was just to send me an e-mail saying that they will not be shipping this week. But I did eventually get the wheels, then the frame.

They had told me that they couldn't get a carbon fork, so they would cut the price by $100 and I could pay an extra 100 above that for DHL shipping. I did take their offer even though I had some misgivings about it. In the end, they included a carbon fork. I have a Wren suspension fork that I will put on this summer for trail riding.

Then, it does use a 120mm threaded bottom bracket. One place in the US sent me what was supposed to be an SRAM GX FAT5 crankset, but it while the box said FAT5, the crank was FAT4. After a bit of panic, I ordered a Hope crank from Chain Reaction Cycles, and 4 days later I had it.

I mounted up 4.8X26 Vee studded tires, running tubeless. I taped the wheels with 3M 2.88 inch wide duct tape. Orange seal subzero sealant. Sealed up perfectly and have been great..

Probably not the route everyone would want to take, but all of the bikes in the garage, except my wife's town bike have been bought as frames and components. I had a Brooks saddle that was not in use and an SRAM GX Eagle 12 speed RD in a box (took it off the tandem). I had bought some Formula brakes off of eBay. Old ones that use DOT4 fluid that work great down to 0F, which is the coldest I have been riding. The bike is around 25 pounds, which is astounding, and I could make it lighter by swapping the studded 4.8 tires for some plain 4.0X26.

Enough about the delays getting the bike. Everyone is suffering with that issue. How does the bike ride? Great! This is my first fat tire bike. I borrowed one last year for the B-B-Brrr and decided to get one for myself. It can ride on snow that my 27.5+ bike will sink into. Very stable down hill as fast as I have had it going (20 MPH). Comfortable enough to ride for 2 hours in near 0F weather. I can climb the dikes here in Fargo, and that is the steepest hill available to me. My first carbon bike or wheels, and I am very pleased.

It is done in plain unpainted carbon for both the wheels and frame. You can't see it in this picture, but while the crank is black, the only chainring available in 28 teeth for the Hope crankset was blue.

Old 01-30-21, 10:09 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I looked at their FS fatlike a while ago. Only downside of that is it doesn't take full size 27.5x4.5 tires, only up to 4" for the b-fat wheels. with that probably also no 29+. I'm curious since you have the HT version, if that allows the large tires for 27.5"?

ICAN seems to be a good value. Everyone who owns one seems to like it. the only Internet jockeys that don't like ICAN, never saw one in person. i never saw one in person either, though.

Delays unfortunately are quite normal these days. I'm still waiting for my rear hub ordered during Black Friday.

Was finding a BB and crank harder and more expensive? i have a 100mm shell and my RF cranks have the spacers to have the same effective width as 120mm. Seems 100mm is more common. At least it is threaded.
Old 01-30-21, 09:53 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Crank

The Hope was a lot more money than the SRAM. No surprise there. I looked for several days for an SRAM or Race Face.

My LBS had the RF spindle but no crank arms. I didn't find the arms anywhere. In the end my choices were a carbon Crankset for about $500 or the Hope for $300.

I would guess that 27.5 x 4.5 tires would fit, but I don't have any so not sure. They claim that it will take a 26 x 5.0 tire.

Yes, I am very happy with the bike. Their Trust Pilot feedback was very favorable. My experience was tainted by the pandemic supply chain mess, but was still positive.