Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Advice purchasing vintage road bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 01:12 PM
Wcjuffkins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I’ll give it a go, if not please let me know! I’ve got at the most £300 to spend and I’d love a Peugeot road bike (or similar bikes of that era/style). Probably looking for at least 58cm frame and don’t want to work on it really. Only problem is I really don’t know what I’m looking for. Was hoping anyone could give me some info about whats the best u can get with that money/what to look for. Thanks In advance!
Old 02-05-21, 01:32 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Wcjuffkins
I’ve got at the most £300 to spend and I’d love a Peugeot road bike ... and don’t want to work on it.
Skip the bike purchase and buy a couple pairs of running shoes and use rentals.

With vintage, working on it or paying someone to do it is a requirement. It's no fun riding a bike that's out of tune. Wheels need to be trued, drivetrains and brakesets need to be working smoothly. Tires need to be mounted and properly inflated. You can't really buy a mid-level bike and keep it maintained for 300£.

Also, Motobécane > Peugeot
Old 02-05-21, 01:47 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Gosh I think a good starting point with your budget, which is really good level, you could be on the lookout for Reynolds 531 tubing construction. A very good consistent product over many years. If not Reynolds, Champion 1 Columbus or another double butted tubing construction is where most will gravitate to.

What kind of riding will you do? Commuting? Do you need a rack? Can you turn your own wrench? or learn how to as a challenge?

I'm not sure I would go with Peugeot. A lot of their stuff is French proprietary. The various threading and parts can be confusing, sometimes difficult. English and Japanese are more consistent and interchangeable as parts go.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 02-05-21, 01:49 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Unless you're interested in this becoming a hobby where you do the work yourself, your best bet is probably to see whether there is a bike co-op near you that fixes up old bikes to sell. As mentioned above, a cheap bike from that era will likely need a good amount of work, and those who restore old bikes charge a premium for the time and effort involved in getting an old bike roadworthy again. A co-op is more likely to emphasize providing a public service (open shop, education, etc) and view renovated bikes as a way to bring in a little extra money, so the prices will be lower.
Old 02-05-21, 02:02 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I’ll give it a go, if not please let me know! I’ve got at the most £300 to spend and I’d love a Peugeot road bike (or similar bikes of that era/style). Probably looking for at least 58cm frame and don’t want to work on it really. Only problem is I really don’t know what I’m looking for. Was hoping anyone could give me some info about whats the best u can get with that money/what to look for. Thanks In advance!
Most of the posters are based in the US and are not that familiar with UK bike prices. That said $400 US gets you a pretty nice vintage bike in the US and likely should get you a good bike in the UK as well even though my guess is that bike prices are likely higher there than here.

You will need to learn how to do some of your own work to keep costs down. There are youtube videos for pretty much everything and we can talk you through most of what you need.

Vintage Peugeots are fine bikes.

Why not start a post in the C&V valuation forum with some of the bikes you have found and with an idea of location and which sites you are using to find bikes (gumtree?). The posters will quickly sort you out as to which bikes are worth the money and which are not.
Old 02-05-21, 02:28 PM
Wcjuffkins

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Gosh I think a good starting point with your budget, which is really good level, you could be on the lookout for Reynolds 531 tubing construction. A very good consistent product over many years. If not Reynolds, Champion 1 Columbus or another double butted tubing construction is where most will gravitate to.

What kind of riding will you do? Commuting? Do you need a rack? Can you turn your own wrench? or learn how to as a challenge?

I'm not sure I would go with Peugeot. A lot of their stuff is French proprietary. The various threading and parts can be confusing, sometimes difficult. English and Japanese are more consistent and interchangeable as parts go.

hey thanks for the response! I’ve heard about 531 & I’ll be sure to check out the others. Would you be able to tell me how to identify the tubing construction you mentioned?

I’ve moved recently to London so this bike will be a bit general purpose city-riding I suppose. No need got a rack. Also despite my lack of knowledge I’m pretty good at this sort of thing so that shouldn’t be a problem.

is there another brand you might suggest?
Old 02-05-21, 02:30 PM
Wcjuffkins

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Skip the bike purchase and buy a couple pairs of running shoes and use rentals.

With vintage, working on it or paying someone to do it is a requirement. It's no fun riding a bike that's out of tune. Wheels need to be trued, drivetrains and brakesets need to be working smoothly. Tires need to be mounted and properly inflated. You can't really buy a mid-level bike and keep it maintained for 300£.

Also, Motobécane > Peugeot

thanks I’ll definitely check out motobecane. I’m not looking to do a complete rehaul at all and there are a few on eBay that have been fitted with new parts/cleaned up etc I just want to know what I’m looking for! Thanks
Likes For Wcjuffkins:
Old 02-05-21, 02:32 PM
Wcjuffkins

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikemig
Most of the posters are based in the US and are not that familiar with UK bike prices. That said $400 US gets you a pretty nice vintage bike in the US and likely should get you a good bike in the UK as well even though my guess is that bike prices are likely higher there than here.

You will need to learn how to do some of your own work to keep costs down. There are youtube videos for pretty much everything and we can talk you through most of what you need.

Vintage Peugeots are fine bikes.

Why not start a post in the C&V valuation forum with some of the bikes you have found and with an idea of location and which sites you are using to find bikes (gumtree?). The posters will quickly sort you out as to which bikes are worth the money and which are not.
Thanks for the response!

More than happy to do some work, just don’t want to start from zero & yeah there’s a few nicely set up bikes on eBay that’ll I’ll post up soon.

thanks!
Old 02-05-21, 02:35 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Thanks for the response!

More than happy to do some work, just don’t want to start from zero & yeah there’s a few nicely set up bikes on eBay that’ll I’ll post up soon.

thanks!
eBay tends to be pricier than gumtree but eBay may have more choices.
Old 02-05-21, 02:52 PM
esasjl

Bikes: '84 Chas Roberts, '91 Peugeot Galibier, '94 Gitane Leader, '51 Dayton Elite, '90 Verago ATB, '08 Dawes Sardar

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 62 Posts
I'd agree with previous posters, it helps to be a DIYer. Older French frame have French threads that can make parts difficult to find. Late '80 onwards tend to be BSC (UK) threaded and more 'standard'. UK Ebay has a 531c Galibier frame for £290, about the going rate. Parts will add quite a lot more, and a period restoration more again. You can get an older complete bike for less, but it will need time and money to be a pleasure to use. Pugs are very enjoyable bikes and I wish you well in this project.
Old 02-05-21, 02:56 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
hey thanks for the response! I’ve heard about 531 & I’ll be sure to check out the others. Would you be able to tell me how to identify the tubing construction you mentioned?

I’ve moved recently to London so this bike will be a bit general purpose city-riding I suppose. No need got a rack. Also despite my lack of knowledge I’m pretty good at this sort of thing so that shouldn’t be a problem.

is there another brand you might suggest?
Wouldn't there be Raleighs and Dawes in the UK?
Old 02-05-21, 03:01 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I belong to a UK based Carlton bike group on Facebook. Lots of leads on there for finding Carlton and other vintage bikes. Check it out.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 02-05-21, 03:40 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Thanks for the response!

thanks!
Also be aware of many efbay sellers idea of restored, refurbished, overhauled, etc. can be very suspect, subjective, not what you would hope for.
Old 02-06-21, 06:47 AM
Wcjuffkins

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whats the name of the group? I'd love to have a look