Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Too many bikes: there are reasons

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Too many bikes: there are reasons

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 12:27 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I will consider Ti Cycles as well, then (or at least add them to the dream list). Thank you for the heads up.

Thankfully, my desired build has a large aesthetic component (I mean, always...lol) instead of some out-of-orbit criteria. Frame angles and specs done a million times before, just a little taller than the normal range. Standard tubes, sane/extant lugs. I'm not even going for the ultra thin wall tubing. I'd absolutely love to hear, from experienced framebuilders, the tubing elements that go into tuning ride quality, responsiveness, and stiffness/flex--more so than what I've already explored, experienced, read, and discussed. To talk, Designer to Designer, delving into the nuances, enjoying the creative process in bringing about an ideal result.

Getting back to more bikes that one, I'm up to discover and pick up a few I have in mind : 25.5" Centurion Semi-Pro's etc, the aforementioned Trek 66/670s, nice 66cm Lotuses and Koga-Miyatas, and whatever else hits my desired geo specs and is pretty. There was a 66cm Davidson Impulse a year or two ago that was for sale for cheap. It had tragically been Drew'd but otherwise looked to be essentially my 64cm version just with more ST. That can be my white whale, or Sasquatch, or Holy Grail. Just put a "In Search Of" post on CL. If it is anything like my 64cm Impulse, it'll be perfect. That, would be hard to sell.

Sounds good and Dave could very well be your guy, he has no problem discussing, explaining and sussing out any and all aspects of the task, great guy, builder and facilitator of all things bike, frames and vision for them, firmly believe he is one of the most capable at making it happen all the while making you feel that you have as much to do with it as possible for the correct outcome.
Old 02-01-21, 01:07 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
I think 8 is a great number, was determined to stop at 7, and that lasted about a year and a half. Just picked up a Trek 670 from another forum member, couldn’t resist. But that’s it, no more! Guess I’m not much help, sorry.
Tim

And so it begins, again!
That looks to be a 25.5"! If so, it's 1 of 100 produced for 1985, if my fastidious Vintage Trek serial number prowling serves me correctly. VERY cool! I definitely am looking out for one of them as well (there's one on Minneapolis' CL right now, but I'm really in it for the frameset).
Old 02-01-21, 07:59 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
That looks to be a 25.5"! If so, it's 1 of 100 produced for 1985, if my fastidious Vintage Trek serial number prowling serves me correctly. VERY cool! I definitely am looking out for one of them as well (there's one on Minneapolis' CL right now, but I'm really in it for the frameset).
You are correct sir, 25.5” serial no. 176132, which makes it number 7 out of 100 for 1985.
Obviously the Minneapolis seller isn’t that good at sleuthing on the Vintage Trek site, listing it as a 660, also seems the only original component on that bike is the saddle.
If you end up with it, and want the original wheel set, seat post or stem, I’ve got them.
The one I bought had all the original components, with the exception of the seat, and brake lever hoods. Not including shipping, price I paid was similar though.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 02-01-21 at 08:28 AM.
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 02-01-21, 08:58 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@jonwvara, you didn't come here to ask for help, did you? That would be like attending an AA meeting at a bar.
Good point!

On the other hand, I bet that if I went to a bar and told the patrons that I had eight bottles of scotch that I needed to get rid of, I would find plenty of people willing to help.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 02-01-21, 09:22 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
Bikes make great gifts.
Old 02-01-21, 09:57 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogens
Bikes make great gifts.
I own eight bikes, but there are actually nine of them hanging in the shed. The ninth is a Bianchi Randonneur that I did a complete tear-down-and-rebuild on last fall. It's a gift for a young guy I know who has not picked it up yet, although covid probably has something to do with that. Not sure how long I need to wait before un-gifting it to him and trying to re-gift it to someone else.

One problem with giving bikes away is that--unless you give them to a fellow C&V type--the recipient will likely just see it as an old piece of crap, fit only for riding over curbs and such.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 02-01-21, 10:45 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I collect old BMX bikes and I counted over 26 in my basement. I really prided myself as being a collector and not a flipper. A good friend of mine with a lot more life experience then me told me "You know when people have huge collections like you it's because they are not getting their emotional needs met" Ouch right? But I had been a single guy for awhile and when I finally met my GF I understood what he meant. I still have quite a few bikes but I was able to clear a few out this summer.

1) Go to the bike store and ask if they have any bike boxes. Now is a good time because they are bringing in new bikes. Load up as many as you can. It makes it too easy to say I don't want to ship when it's too hard to find a box. Also buy zip ties and enough plumbing pipe insulation to cover the entire bike.

2) Out of all your bikes you probably have one that doesn't fit you quite right. That's the first one to let go.

3) Next is your cheapest. It's probably an awesome bike but you won't miss it as much as the high end hard to find stuff.

4) Do you have doubles? Well make one amazing example and sell off the crappy one.

If you want to sell locally dealing with Flippers isn't always a bad thing. I often find that striking up a conversation and sharing knowledge is a good way to find rare stuff I'm looking for. I've given a deal, just for the guy to call me up a couple weeks later saying "Weren't you looking for one of these? I'll let you have it since you gave me a deal." With BMX stuff it's pretty difficult to get certain things.

And remember when you let something go it frees up the space to allow something new and exciting to come your way.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 02-01-21, 11:05 AM
rhender 

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 2; 1988 Cannondale SR500; 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@jonwvara, you didn't come here to ask for help, did you? That would be like attending an AA meeting at a bar.

One problem is that I am bad at finishing projects, and it makes me sad when I have so many things left undone.
Unfortunately, I've come to find that this is me as well. I currently have seven bikes which is not a lot by C&V standards but it's more than I need. However, I would have only have 3 or 4 if I was better at finishing my projects. Two of my bikes (1974 Raleigh Pro and Pro Track) I bought with the express purpose of refurbishing and reselling, but they've been languishing in the basement half-finished while the others receive different levels of repair and modification as well. Now I have seven bikes and only two of them are in an actually rideable state and it's draining on me. I feel like if I can ever complete all my open projects I'll downsize and stick to starting and finishing a project before picking up another--wishful thinking I'm sure...
Old 02-01-21, 01:31 PM
BunnV

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A good place to sell

I've sold a couple of bikes using pinkbike.com. Unlike eBay, there is no charge to list and no charge when you bike sells, I used bikeflights.com for secure, insured shipping.
Old 02-01-21, 06:10 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by rhender
Unfortunately, I've come to find that this is me as well. I currently have seven bikes which is not a lot by C&V standards but it's more than I need. However, I would have only have 3 or 4 if I was better at finishing my projects. Two of my bikes (1974 Raleigh Pro and Pro Track) I bought with the express purpose of refurbishing and reselling, but they've been languishing in the basement half-finished while the others receive different levels of repair and modification as well. Now I have seven bikes and only two of them are in an actually rideable state and it's draining on me. I feel like if I can ever complete all my open projects I'll downsize and stick to starting and finishing a project before picking up another--wishful thinking I'm sure...
Sell them here in their unfinished state. C&V folks love project bikes. (Even if they never get around to completing them)
Brent
Old 02-01-21, 07:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Much like @nogliderI have also taken to giving away bikes or helping folks build bikes using stuff I have. That has been a lot of fun and maybe somethin the OP could do?
Find someone who is interested and give them a bike and help them learn how to maintain it. Its pretty fun IMHO.
Yup. When my daughter was in 9th grade, her bike got stolen, so I went to the police auction looking for a replacement and came home with four bikes. That started my hobby. I fixed up bikes and gave them away. Then people in my town asked me to start selling them, so that was the beginning of my bike flipping. Nowadays I teach people how to fix bikes at the bike coop, and I will refurbish an occasional bike there too. Sometimes people come into the coop and can't afford the low asking price, so we just give them the bike. It's a gratifying thing to do.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 02-01-21, 09:49 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
And if you do sell that vintage Miyata you later find sorely missed, just post a "missed connections" on Craigs.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...271150020.html
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-02-21, 02:13 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
You are correct sir, 25.5” serial no. 176132, which makes it number 7 out of 100 for 1985.
Obviously the Minneapolis seller isn’t that good at sleuthing on the Vintage Trek site, listing it as a 660, also seems the only original component on that bike is the saddle.
If you end up with it, and want the original wheel set, seat post or stem, I’ve got them.
The one I bought had all the original components, with the exception of the seat, and brake lever hoods. Not including shipping, price I paid was similar though.
Tim
Very cool.

The MN seller may just be reading the wrong chain stay protector/decal that, sadly, erroneously says "660" on it. Oh well. It's a frankenbuild for sure, albeit with a flush of Superbe Pro. Good to know that his asking price is within a reasonable range. I thought so as well. With my theoretical plan for the bike (or, frameset), complete with all the usual "ifs" (like if I like it, and a lot), it ends up being a pretty spendy proposition to just go for the frameset itself, especially after shipping & facilitation. So it will have to stay in MN for now, and I'll just have to wait for it's friend to pop up on CL locally.
Old 02-02-21, 08:04 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Very cool.

The MN seller may just be reading the wrong chain stay protector/decal that, sadly, erroneously says "660" on it. Oh well. It's a frankenbuild for sure, albeit with a flush of Superbe Pro. Good to know that his asking price is within a reasonable range. I thought so as well. With my theoretical plan for the bike (or, frameset), complete with all the usual "ifs" (like if I like it, and a lot), it ends up being a pretty spendy proposition to just go for the frameset itself, especially after shipping & facilitation. So it will have to stay in MN for now, and I'll just have to wait for it's friend to pop up on CL locally.
Yeah, it’s a frankenbike, but a nice one. I’d definitely wait until one shows up on your side of the country. I committed to buy, thinking shipping wouldn’t be over a hundred dollars, I was wrong. However, bike did arrive with no damage, even the box was perfectly intact. Seller did an outstanding packing job, but still feel that I won the UPS lottery.
Tim
Old 02-02-21, 10:06 AM
rhender 

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 2; 1988 Cannondale SR500; 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Sell them here in their unfinished state. C&V folks love project bikes. (Even if they never get around to completing them)
Brent
Definitely a possibility. I'm afraid at this point though that I have too much invested in them to accept the return that a half-finished project sale would incur. It might happen, but I haven't given up just yet.
Old 02-02-21, 11:54 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
I have this habit of throwing colossal amounts of money at bikes over an extended period of time- Selling a bike for less than a stupid amount of money is a big loss.

The whole game in bikes is that a bike is a bike, regardless of what's hanging off of it.

You can deck out a Continental with Campagnolo and Dura Ace and XTR and it's still going to be a $40, 40 pound Continental.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-02-21, 01:28 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Sold another on CL today, that's N-1 now. Generally no-hassle (after getting ghosted by a prospect on Saturday).

Listed 15% above what I preferred, actual sale came in 15% less than preferred but took it just to move after 10 days of listing time.

Have another bike nearly ready, just need to clean & check (maybe repack) the wheels, tape the bars, wax. It's one of my favorites too but I'm just not riding it and have other projects I'd like to put together... meh.

Old 02-02-21, 01:33 PM
guy1138

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
Look for bike swaps to start up again in the nearest metro area. It'll either go to someone who needs a bike or appreciates vintage.
Old 02-02-21, 02:33 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
You can deck out a Continental with Campagnolo and Dura Ace, and it's still going to be a $40, 40 pound Continental.
I'll buy that bike for $40. Maybe even $400 depending on the Campy. Of course, I'll be parting it out.
Old 02-02-21, 05:38 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Sometimes I think all we do is trade bikes between ourselves. I don't know if it's sad or cool that I know that @nlerner and @Andy_K ride the same size bike. Scarrier still is the recent knowledge that @obrentharris and I are bicycle twins.
Hmm... How about a "Swap and Ride?" A group ride where everyone brings a bike but nobody rides the bike they brought. We all get to try out a different bike without bumping up against N+1!
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 02-02-21, 06:18 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
magic

Two weeks ago a friend gave me a set of 80s era bull moose handlebars for free.........when I looked in the garage today I saw they turned into a whole bike..........same exact thing happened about six months ago after I found a really nice rear wheel with a flip flop hub for two bucks at a yard sale........that turned itself into a bike in two days
Old 02-06-21, 08:47 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,938 Times in 1,763 Posts
Well......all "reasoning" aside. I'm still trying to downsize my collection in hopes I can keep from buying anything new. Yesterday I listed several bikes locally and one has gone already. I think I'll list quite a few of them and then once half or so go pull down the rest of the ads.

This is the one that sold in less than a day.

We'll see what today brings after I list some more. Good new is that with the past couple of sales I have enough to pay for the new Pashley I have pre-ordered. First new bike in a long time, like 10 years.
Old 02-06-21, 09:39 AM
Phillipnamese

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More more bikes