Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Replacing mech disc brakes with hydraulic?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Replacing mech disc brakes with hydraulic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-21, 10:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
they loosened even after the bike shop did them. then I started doing them tighter not as tight as they could go but pretty tight now so far I have not had a loose one since. the tandem has a through axle and man I sure love it hope my next bikes have them.
Oh, so they’re not an ongoing problem now? That’s good. And I presume you still have and use your disc brakes...?
Old 01-22-21, 10:09 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Oh, so they’re not an ongoing problem now? That’s good. And I presume you still have and use your disc brakes...?
right it just seems I have them tighter then I used too but maybe I am wrong. the brakes got upgraded to to 4 piston and still no loosening. but in all the years before I never had a skewer come loose. it could be because the bikes are far heavier too I mean my e bike is 52 pounds with nothing on it but with locks its 70 and I weight 190 or so. tandem is 65 pounds plus both of us almost 400 pounds. but I sure love through axles so much easier and faster together a wheel back on and in the exact same place each time.
Old 01-22-21, 10:29 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
right it just seems I have them tighter then I used too but maybe I am wrong. the brakes got upgraded to to 4 piston and still no loosening. but in all the years before I never had a skewer come loose. it could be because the bikes are far heavier too I mean my e bike is 52 pounds with nothing on it but with locks its 70 and I weight 190 or so. tandem is 65 pounds plus both of us almost 400 pounds. but I sure love through axles so much easier and faster together a wheel back on and in the exact same place each time.
All good points.
Old 01-23-21, 10:20 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I ride long mountain descents on steep winding fire roads as well as some single track with my BB7s and QRs, though my old cheap/worn rear QR occasionally came loose. I Just bought XT skewers to cure that. I never felt i needed more stopping power. Maybe if I was racing for $$$ I would. I do swap between road and gravel wheels/tires, which only requires me adjusting the pads - would that be the same with hydro calipers? I don't know. Also, being able to pull the levers close to the bars, which might seem a disadvantage is an advantage for me, as I only ride on the tops. Can lever position be adjusted on all hydro levers? I also don't know.
Old 01-23-21, 10:45 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
most have a screw that lets you adjust the lever position. higher end ones have a knob for that. its usually where the lever meets the pivot point.
Old 01-26-21, 06:29 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle

Hahaha yes.
Likes For Hmmm:
Old 01-26-21, 08:40 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
They are all beautiful in my world, and I'm a fan of the 'pistol grip' option on SRAM hoods.

Old 02-08-21, 06:14 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
I just bought a 2021 Salsa Warbird that came with mechanical TRP brakes and thought I'd hate them but after riding them a ew times they feel great and have plenty of stopping power. For reference, I'm 250lbs. Now I just need to get rid of the horrible Sram Apex 1x groupset!
Old 03-03-21, 04:28 PM
sultanofsuede

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
this has been an incredibly educational thread. thanks for everyone's input (and for asking better questions than i had).

its triggered some follow ups for me, and i'd be curious to know your opinions:
- it sounds like mech vs. hydro are really not all that different, but that use of qr vs. thru is the main factor is keeping disc brakes tuned, snug, and safe.

i've been eying some pretty cool bikes (one with hydro, one with mech) that are around 4-5 years old and both have qr. would i be naive to think that if i get good at making those really small adjustments to the brake pads, that it should matter if i go with hydro or mech?

i'm not too worried about qr coming off the fork as a safety issue. i don't really do much massive off-road speed. really just trying to gage weather its worth going for a cx/gravel bike (used and a little older) with qr and disc brakes. too much hassle than its worth?
Old 03-04-21, 01:33 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by sultanofsuede
this has been an incredibly educational thread. thanks for everyone's input (and for asking better questions than i had).

its triggered some follow ups for me, and i'd be curious to know your opinions:
- it sounds like mech vs. hydro are really not all that different, but that use of qr vs. thru is the main factor is keeping disc brakes tuned, snug, and safe.

i've been eying some pretty cool bikes (one with hydro, one with mech) that are around 4-5 years old and both have qr. would i be naive to think that if i get good at making those really small adjustments to the brake pads, that it should matter if i go with hydro or mech?

i'm not too worried about qr coming off the fork as a safety issue. i don't really do much massive off-road speed. really just trying to gage weather its worth going for a cx/gravel bike (used and a little older) with qr and disc brakes. too much hassle than its worth?
My 2009 Kona Dew Drop was my first gravel bike (double-duty as commuter bike back in the day), it's mechanical disc brakes and QR. I had a learning curve to understanding getting brakes dialed in, but I can't say it's a hassle. Newer thru axels are much easier to get right, but if you don't have the budget for a new bike ... there's nothing wrong with disc brakes on a QR wheel. There's a lot of good info out there to help you learn the finer points (Park Tools YouTube channel is my fav).