Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Carbon wheels on a gravel bike worth it?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbround Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Carbon wheels on a gravel bike worth it?

Old 02-25-21, 08:19 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of weight that has been dropped. Nicely done. The downside of course is that you've committed yourself to riding fancy wheels forever, because after this stock wheels will feel like absolute garbage!

What kind of tires are you running?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-25-21, 12:56 PM
dvdslw

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Wow, that's a lot of weight that has been dropped. Nicely done. The downside of course is that you've committed yourself to riding fancy wheels forever, because after this stock wheels will feel like absolute garbage!

What kind of tires are you running?
Bike came with a set of 42mm Travail Cannonballs (protection model) that weigh 540g ea installed. I ditched the tubes and put them on the Zipps tubeless. Just got home from a 30 mile shakedown ride and the bike felt great. So much easier to get up to speed and they upped the compliance a bit too. I took it down a brick road that I went down last week with the other wheels and it was immediately apparent that there was some added comfort with the new wheels as well. Very happy with my purchase so far!
Likes For dvdslw:
Old 02-25-21, 05:02 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '05 Novara Big Buzz, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
Bike came with a set of 42mm Travail Cannonballs (protection model) that weigh 540g ea installed. I ditched the tubes and put them on the Zipps tubeless. Just got home from a 30 mile shakedown ride and the bike felt great. So much easier to get up to speed and they upped the compliance a bit too. I took it down a brick road that I went down last week with the other wheels and it was immediately apparent that there was some added comfort with the new wheels as well. Very happy with my purchase so far!
Brick road? My man, you’re on elite wheels so it’s time to start acting elite: pavé, or at the very least, cobbles.
Old 02-26-21, 06:07 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Old 02-26-21, 06:26 AM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 604 Posts
CF rims are not inherently more fragile. They can be a lot stronger than AL at the same weight... or a little stronger at a little less weight... or just as strong for a lot less weight.

This has been pretty well settled in the MTB world.

Not sure if this has been posted:

The fact that some stupid light CF rim failed is not an indication that there is a problem with CF... it is that someone tried to take the lightness thing too far.

Now, is it “worth” it? Depends on your financial situation. The benefit of CF is going to be the same regardless, but the pain in one’s wallet or purse is going to depend on how fat said wallet or purse is.

Likes For Kapusta: