Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Velocity deep V build: I screwed up, but how bad?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 06:14 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Since the spoke bed is not offset, I got confused as to where to insert the first spoke. As such, I put the first spoke into the wrong hole. First time using this kind of rim.

End result: The holes in the rim that are supposed to go to the DS went to the NDS and visa-versa.

I eventually realized this mid-build, but by then i had tensioned some of the spokes. I never rode the wheel this way. Upon realizing this, i simply took it apart and started over, the correct way.

Question: Is this rim compromised? I got to thinking that by tensioning spokes with nipples that are exiting the rim at the wrong angle, perhaps thr holes are disfigured.

It seems to have set up fine though...

What do you think?
Old 02-27-21, 06:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmb
It seems to have set up fine though...
This.

If after you ride on the assembly it stays tensioned, I would not fred about it.
Old 02-27-21, 09:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
This.

If after you ride on the assembly it stays tensioned, I would not fred about it.
Would that mean having a large rear seat pack or a fanny pack and non-cycling clothing? I wouldn't Fred about it either unless you are more comfortable that way then you do you.

You should be fine. It doesn't sound like you really did any sort of damage to anything and it would be tough to do that unless you put so much tension that you pulled nipples through the rim but you will probably have problems before that happens. It is not easy to damage a rim like that in a build aside from intentional destruction. Deep Vs are pretty tough and quite heavy but will lead to a long lasting wheel if done right and look nice.
Old 02-27-21, 09:25 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Would that mean having a large rear seat pack or a fanny pack and non-cycling clothing? I wouldn't Fred about it either unless you are more comfortable that way then you do you.

You should be fine. It doesn't sound like you really did any sort of damage to anything and it would be tough to do that unless you put so much tension that you pulled nipples through the rim but you will probably have problems before that happens. It is not easy to damage a rim like that in a build aside from intentional destruction. Deep Vs are pretty tough and quite heavy but will lead to a long lasting wheel if done right and look nice.
Would mean, pulling a sailboat loaded with BBQ equipment.
Old 02-27-21, 11:59 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I would recommend not worrying about it too much.
Old 02-28-21, 09:24 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
https://www.velocityusa.com/tech/rims/
Spoke holes not offset, but the drilled angle is. No?