Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lengthening a fork tube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Lengthening a fork tube

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-21, 09:17 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Lengthening a fork tube

I have a Colnago C40 I’m rather fond of but wish the fork tube was a bit taller. Is there a way to add a section back ? I can imagine using an internal sleeve between the tube and the extension as a brace but really have no idea if this subject has already been laid to rest.
Old 02-28-21, 09:23 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Search for “threadless stem riser” and you’ll find a lot of options. Or you can just get a stem with more of an angle upwards
Old 02-28-21, 10:16 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
In theory one could extend a steerer. However steel steerers are the usual (for an uncommon job) material considered due to it's workability compared to AL or carbon. I suspect a C40 has a carbon steerer. I assume you've explored all the other options like a different stem, steerer risers, different handle bars first. I suspect you'll do better with a different fork altogether if those other options don't do it. I also assume you have enough time in the saddle to know about fit and body flexibility stuff. Andy
Old 02-28-21, 01:42 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Depends on how much. I have a method that would fill most or all of the stem clamp area with solid epoxy and extended the length by 15mm, maybe 20. Any more would required a machined aluminum extension that would be epoxied into the original steering tube, probably to a depth of 50mm.
Old 02-28-21, 01:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If it were a steel steerer, not much of a problem to cut it and splice in a section and braze it up. However if it's carbon, it depends on whether you have the knowledge, skill and tools to DIY it. Or someone you know that does carbon lay up and will do it for you cheap.

Not sure what to think of brazing a steel steerer in a carbon fork though. Is that excess heat from brazing going to affect the carbon parts? But for an all steel fork or steel tube with aluminum forks, I'd not worry.

I used to do a bunch of fiberglass repair on my boat and other fiberglass stuff. It's pretty easy to do once you have a little experience. Fiberglass and epoxy don't require a lot of special tooling and brain. Carbon on the other hand does require some special stuff to make it a little more than the average DIY'er will handle.

Maybe not though. My only experience with carbon was for aircraft and I wasn't doing it. So maybe I was in an industry that just naturally goes overboard in fabrication precision.
Old 02-28-21, 06:08 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
Search for “threadless stem riser” and you’ll find a lot of options. Or you can just get a stem with more of an angle upwards
Ive used those on my gravel bike and tour bike, they look right at home. One on a C40 might look kind of odd but it would undoubtedly do the job for the fewest dollars.

Last edited by Tomm Willians; 02-28-21 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-28-21, 06:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Are Stem Risers Safe?

Absolutely yes! Unless you want to use them on a carbon steerer…
https://easymountainbiking.com/are-s...em_Risers_Safe

But admittedly I have no experience with them. So this might be just unsubstantiated opinion or dated material. Might not be an issue on a road bike not used in rough terrain as are mountain bikes.
Old 03-01-21, 02:43 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
As mentioned above, there are adaptors available to mount a stem up higher than the current top of your fork. Many forks (with carbon steerer tubes), have a published limit of how many spacers you can have between the headset and stem, and I don't know if a riser adaptor can be used without violating this limit. Might be a good idea to contact the manufacturer