Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Will 35c Bon Jon Pass tires fit with fenders on the 78-80 Centurion Pro Tour?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 02:34 PM
MB33 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

I'm looking for someone with experience with this particular model. I see a few people using 35's on theirs but not with fenders. I don't have the fenders yet, are there some fender that offer a tighter fit for when space is limited?
I'm talking about this particular model, I believe from 1978-80 they were all the same geometry, mine is 23" if that matters.

Old 03-01-21, 03:28 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Yup, but without fenders.

I tried them with fenders, very little clearance (almost none). 32's would work with fenders.
Old 03-01-21, 03:39 PM
MB33 

Dagnabbit! Isn't there all kinds of fender clearance with 32's? I wonder if the Rivendell Jack Brown's would have clearance for fenders, supposed to be halfway between the 32 and 35c Rene Herse tires.
Old 03-01-21, 03:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by MB33
Dagnabbit! Isn't there all kinds of fender clearance with 32's? I wonder if the Rivendell Jack Brown's would have clearance for fenders, supposed to be halfway between the 32 and 35c Rene Herse tires.
I love Jack Browns, they're the same casing as RH tires, and weigh almost exactly the difference between 32 and 35mm Rene Herse offerings. I have them on my Grander Sportier with fenders. Early 70's Raleigh Gran(d) Sport(s) have very long "legs", so there's room for 33 1/3"s and fenders. 35mm wide tires would allow only a sliver of clearance, too close for my comfort.

My Pro Tour is stored at a friends house, so I don't have a way to measure Jack Brown's on them. I'd say they might fit, just stay on clean paved roads.

The ride difference between 32's and 33 1/3 tires is significant, much more than one would think. I'd ride the 35's on unpaved roads, and have done so. 33 1/3's maybe not so much.
Old 03-01-21, 06:25 PM
MB33 

Thanks for the input gugie. What fenders would you go with if you were trying to squeak Jack Browns onto a Pro Tour? My preference would be aluminum in a smooth polished finish.
Old 03-01-21, 06:34 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Thanks for the input gugie. What fenders would you go with if you were trying to squeak Jack Browns onto a Pro Tour? My preference would be aluminum in a smooth polished finish.
Just to be clear, I haven't confirmed that Jack Browns and your Pro Tour are compatible, but I think they are somewhere between might and probably.

The fender to use would be the Velo Orange 700c x 45mm Facette fenders, which you can see on my Grander Sportier, above.
Old 03-01-21, 06:42 PM
MB33 

Originally Posted by gugie
Just to be clear, I haven't confirmed that Jack Browns and your Pro Tour are compatible, but I think they are somewhere between might and probably.

The fender to use would be the Velo Orange 700c x 45mm Facette fenders, which you can see on my Grander Sportier, above.
I understand it was just a suggestion, I just think I'm going to give them a shot. Unless another member has experience that says it's not gonna work. What makes those particular fenders good for tight clearances? I was also thinking that stainless steel is probably thinner than aluminum for fender applications so might offer greater clearances?
Old 03-01-21, 07:57 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I understand it was just a suggestion, I just think I'm going to give them a shot. Unless another member has experience that says it's not gonna work. What makes those particular fenders good for tight clearances? I was also thinking that stainless steel is probably thinner than aluminum for fender applications so might offer greater clearances?
Material thickness is insignificant when considering fender clerance. Here's what Velo Orange says about fitting fenders. I happen to agree with them. The limiting factor in fitting fenders is chainstay and inner fork width, and vertically chainstay/brake bridge clearance in the rear, fork length in the front.