Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

NISI Wheel Set components ID and vintage RE: Peugeot build.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-21, 11:17 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts

I already have several Winter projects going (that may not even be done when Spring rolls around) but just added a new one to the mix. Twenty plus years ago I picked up a beat up Peugeot with the intention of building it into a functional bike. IIRC, it wasn't complete but I don't recall exactly what was there and what wasn't. At the time I wasn't too serious about labeling components as to where they came from (i.e. the original bike) like I am now. The serial # (Y802 xxxxx), I believe, puts the frame in the late 70s but I could be wrong.
So now to the thread topic. I have a vintage wheel set with NISI alloy rims laced to "no name" but I'm guessing Normandy hubs with QR skewers branded with only a -S- (Schwinn maybe?) I'm pretty sure that late 70s Peugeots didn't come with NISI rimmed wheel sets from info gleaned from the Velo-Base website. Normandy hubs were common as well as Simplex QR skewers per brochures on Velo-Base. I think these wheels may come from the decade prior to that of my Peugeot but since the build is likely to be a hodge-podge of components, it's not critical to me. Other than consumables, I'm going to try to keep the components within +/- 10 years (or so). I'm hoping that the pics below may help "the experts" provide a bit more info to me. Thanks.

Old 02-28-21, 11:34 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
"S" Spidel?
Old 02-28-21, 11:36 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

the S marking on the QR lever is for Sunshine; i.e. a product of Sansin Matsumoto

yes, the wheels are clearly earlier than the date you give for the bicycle and yes and the Peugeot would not have been fitted with NISI rims in any event

one thing about the rims which suggests an earlier time is the absence of ferrules, washers would have been employed for the spoke nipples when these wheels were laced

if you can give another view of the hub showing the barrel readers may be able to identify it

another French manufacturer who made hubs of this pattern was Porthor

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-28-21 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spellin'
Likes For juvela:
Old 02-28-21, 12:58 PM
sovende

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

the S marking on the QR lever is for Sunshine; i.e. a product of Sansin Matsumoto

yes, the wheels are clearly earlier than the date you give for the bicycle and yes and the Peugeot would not have been fitted with NISI rims in any event

one thing about the rims which suggests an earlier time is the absence of ferrules, washers would have been employed for the spoke nipples when these wheels were laced

if you can give another view of the hub showing the barrel readers may be able to identify it

another French manufacturer who made hubs of this pattern was Porthor

-----
I have other skewers that are actually marked "SunShine" but maybe on older skewer levers, just -S- was sufficient .
RE: the hubs, near as I can tell, there are no markings of any kind on the barrels. I will however, clean that area up and take a better look AND submit some pics ;-). The entire wheel set is sorely in need of some TLC. Only one of the rims displays a readable NISI decal and I will strive to keep that one intact. While the appearance is far from pristine, these wheels don't look terribly abused. I plan on an R&R of the bearings and hope that cups & cones haven't suffered from neglect. We'll see.
No mention anywhere on the rim as to the tire size but I'm assuming 27"x1 1/4". Also, there is no "hook" on the inner sides of the rim. I believe that fact some what limits tire type and dictates that tire pressure be kept on the low side (<100 PSI?).
I'm not a Francophile by any stretch of the imagination but I'm looking forward to piecing this bike together and just hope that it doesn't turn into a "Frankenbike" abomination! More on that as the project moves forward
Old 02-28-21, 01:09 PM
juvela

-----

the hub in the image may well be a Sansin Matsumoto product

the small round holes indicate an early version of this model

these were employed up through about 1973

the skewer seen in your image was employed by the manufacturer up through about 1974, subsequently the lever became curved and the nut design changed

the earliest version of this Sunshine hub, not yours, has the small round holes in the flange and a different axle set; its dustcaps are press fit to the cones rather than to the shell

---

here is a page covering the company's wired-on models from the NISI catalogue of 1975 -

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-02-21 at 01:25 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-28-21, 05:45 PM
sovende

Pics of the hub barrel. There are no descernible markings what so ever on the barrel (or flanges) of these hubs.

Old 02-28-21, 06:20 PM
juvela

-----

thank you for additional pictures

the axle spacer tells the tale

it is the one employed by Sansin Matsumoto for their base model hubs

it can be seen here in this manufacturer's catalogue page of 1981

you can see from the photos how the flange cutouts changed and the appearance of the quick release as well

estimate your hub to date from ~1971

-----
Old 03-01-21, 07:53 PM
sovende

Thanks juvela for the manufacturer confirmation and the vintage. I was kinda hoping that they’d be Normandy’s (or at least French knock-offs). Oh well, on the bright side the freewheel threading is probably more likely to be compatible with my collection of vintage freewheels.
FYI, I popped the rear wheel onto my truing stand and found it to be very close to true! Minor tweaking and it should be good to go! I’ll need to R&R the bearings for sure and the rims will need some serious cleaning and polishing. I’ll post some pics once I get them all dolled up .

Last edited by sovende; 03-01-21 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-01-21, 08:01 PM
juvela

-----

good to read information of help

dating note:

did not explain how it was arrived at

if it were any earlier it would be the early version where the dustcaps are press fit to the cones instead of the shell

if it were any later it would exhibit barrel marking

Sansin Matsumoto are very honest products; enjoy a positive reputation amongst cyclists who do their own work

-----
Old 03-01-21, 08:26 PM
sovende

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

good to read information of help

dating note:

did not explain how it was arrived at

if it were any earlier it would be the early version where the dustcaps are press fit to the cones instead of the shell

if it were any later it would exhibit barrel marking

Sansin Matsumoto are very honest products; enjoy a positive reputation amongst cyclists who do their own work

-----
Thanks again juvela. RE: your explanation, there was no real need to do so. Your reply had “an air of expertise” about it and I simply believed what you said! Do you have thoughts on which dust cap style is preferable? I’m thinking that the pressed in style might be an improvement.
I am a cycling enthusiast that does enjoy doing my own work! There are probably a few time though, when I should have sought out an expert ! I’m glad that the Sansin Matsumoto products have a strong reputation with those that do their own work!
Old 03-01-21, 09:06 PM
juvela

-----

wrt the dustcap arrangement -

it is my understanding that the dustcap pressed to the cone design is archaic

do know if there is anyone using the arrangement today

i certainly did not care for working on the examples i worked on but can of course make no claim to expertise

---

regarding these Sunshine brand hubs with the small round holes you might like to see this thread about the restoration of a 1967 Puch Bergmeister badged as a Sears. the restorer found it as an abandoned machine put out at the curb for pickup. upon inspection the wheels were kaput so he set out to build new replicas of the originals and used these hubs as they were a cosmetic match to the old style Normandy Sport which had been on the bicycle.

he was a first time bicycle restorer and first time wheel builder and could not have done a finer job!

he also documented the project fabulously well -

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...pic-heavy.html

-----
Old 03-02-21, 06:41 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
What is the Peugeot?
Old 03-02-21, 01:22 PM
juvela

-----

beginning ~1973-74 your model of hub began coming through with a four digit number marked on its barrel - "5345"

VeloBase.com - Component: Sunshine/Sansin 5345

several years back in the course of a thread here on the forum a discussion sprang up regarding the meaning of the number:

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ange-hubs.html

this thread is also a good resource for the discussion of various hub models coming from the Sansin Matsumoto Works Ltd

there is also this earlier discussion covering the various models -

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ub-models.html

lots of helpful information...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-02-21 at 01:32 PM. Reason: addition