Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Specialized Diverge owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 10:07 AM
masterchief

Bikes: 2016 All City Macho Man, 2017 Trek 520, 1997 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Specialized Diverge owners

I just got one, and it seems like a very popular model, so I thought it would benefit current owners and potential new buyers to have a thread where we could discuss, ask questions and share opinions and pictures. I will post mine, but this is an open thread for anyone to contribute to. You are welcome to repost pictures, reviews or comments from other threads.
[HR][/HR]

So I got my Diverge Elite DSW last week after a month of waiting. I've only been around the block and done a short 5 km ride, but I allready feel it's stable and easy to handle. It's stock config apart from the rotors that the lbs swapped for a pair of XT IceTech as part of the deal, but I have some upgrades planned for it (tires among other things).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160425_141146 (Large).jpg (103.9 KB, 2275 views)
20160425_141200 (Large).jpg (104.6 KB, 2163 views)
20160425_141210 (Large).jpg (103.3 KB, 2161 views)
Likes For masterchief:
Old 04-25-16, 04:54 PM
Richard8655

Bikes: 2007 & 2008 Specialized Tricross Comp

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats on a great choice. I have a 2007 and 2008 Tricross, and your Diverge is a fine descendant of this tradition. In my opinion, you can't do much better than Specialized. Will be interesting to hear your and other Diverge owners further experiences and any upgrades.
Old 04-26-16, 10:45 AM
Marvil15

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same model Diverge picked up beginning of the year- really enjoy it! I've already swapped out the cockpit and seatpost to Ritchey and dropped a little over half a pound just there. Upgraded the wheels to Zipp 30 Discs after getting rid of the SCS derailleur hangar-- much stiffer and smoother then the stock Axis wheels and almost a pound lighter! I think I rode the stock tires once before dumping them for some Clements. Also swapped out the Tiagra cranks for Ultegra 6800 and eventually will switch it all over to Ultegra and move the Tiagra over to my commuter.
Old 04-26-16, 11:56 AM
masterchief

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Marvil15
I have the same model Diverge picked up beginning of the year- really enjoy it! I've already swapped out the cockpit and seatpost to Ritchey and dropped a little over half a pound just there. Upgraded the wheels to Zipp 30 Discs after getting rid of the SCS derailleur hangar-- much stiffer and smoother then the stock Axis wheels and almost a pound lighter! I think I rode the stock tires once before dumping them for some Clements. Also swapped out the Tiagra cranks for Ultegra 6800 and eventually will switch it all over to Ultegra and move the Tiagra over to my commuter.
Good to hear! I think the frame could hold potential for a lot of upgrades, to be honest it seems like a high end frame with a comparably lower grade components.

That said, I'm extremely impressed with the Tiagra 4700 shifting quality. I come from a late 90's steel road bike with a 8 speed 105 drivetrain, so I kind of expected it to be better, but especially the front shifting is just so much smoother and happens so fast without noise, I almost could not believe it the first time I rode it, haha.

The only sort of negative about the front shifter is the longer lever arm, which, on the Diverge, I could see cause some trouble with clearances for the rear fender. I haven't installed any fenders yet, but will probably do at some point, and I will make sure to post some pictures then.

Which Clement tires did you get? I've been thinking about the Strada LGG in either 28mm or 32mm version, but at the moment I'm looking at the Panaracer Gravel King file tread version which also comes in those widths.
Old 04-26-16, 05:42 PM
Marvil15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, I think it's a great frame with low end components. I was also pleasantly surprised with the new Tiagra, my other bikes have SRAM Red and one with older Dura Ace 7800 - the shifting on the new Tiagra is very smooth. Rear shifting is exceptional maybe a touch slow and front does have a longer throw then I prefer but still very good considering the price point. And yes it is very quiet!

I'm using an SKB rear fender as needed, I didn't want one that I couldn't easily remove.

As for the Clements I'm running USH 35mm - light and roll pretty fast. So far they've been great on the gravel roads in my area, only a couple times did I wish I had wider tires.
Old 04-27-16, 07:06 PM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a new Diverge Comp a few weeks ago and love it. So far, it's totally stock and I have no immediate plans to change anything. As I'm a Clyde, the jury is still out on the wheels and their durability but I'm playing "wait and see" before replacing them.
Old 04-29-16, 11:55 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You had the axis 3.0, correct? I have the axis 4.0, wonder how much weigh difference there is between the 3.0 and 4.0...

Geoff
Old 04-29-16, 11:56 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree, I think it's a great frame with low end components. I was also pleasantly surprised with the new Tiagra, my other bikes have SRAM Red and one with older Dura Ace 7800 - the shifting on the new Tiagra is very smooth. Rear shifting is exceptional maybe a touch slow and front does have a longer throw then I prefer but still very good considering the price point. And yes it is very quiet!

I'm using an SKB rear fender as needed, I didn't want one that I couldn't easily remove.

As for the Clements I'm running USH 35mm - light and roll pretty fast. So far they've been great on the gravel roads in my area, only a couple times did I wish I had wider tires.
Sorry, my reply/question was to this post

Geoff
Old 04-30-16, 07:03 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice...I'll be following along in this thread. The Diverge was so high up on my list when getting a new bike this year...The only two things it really came down to was that I really wanted rim brakes, and 28's would suit me just fine.

Nice color choice too.
Old 04-30-16, 11:31 AM
Marvil15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I had the 3.0's I weighed them after I removed them and if I recall they were in the high 1900g for the pair, I've read the 4.0's are in the mid 1700g even though the Specialized website has them as listed in the 1600g range. The Zipps are about 1650, lighter sets out there but I got an exceptional price from my lbs that I couldn't say no.
Old 04-30-16, 03:58 PM
Jofu

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes I had the 3.0's I weighed them after I removed them and if I recall they were in the high 1900g for the pair, I've read the 4.0's are in the mid 1700g even though the Specialized website has them as listed in the 1600g range. The Zipps are about 1650, lighter sets out there but I got an exceptional price from my lbs that I couldn't say no.
ok thanks!

Geoff
Old 05-02-16, 10:19 AM
Craig_C

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite DSW, Trek DS 8.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Mine's all stock for now. I've got some rails to trails nearby and it handles them quite well. I'm thinking about fenders and a rack since I'm using it mostly for commuting. Anyone have any good rack/pannier suggestions? I'm worried about heel strike as it's a fairly compact bike. I've also heard the Specialized plug and play fenders aren't really plug and play on the Diverge. Anyone have any experience with those?
Attached Images
IMG_7558.jpg (51.9 KB, 2604 views)
Likes For Craig_C:
Old 05-05-16, 06:19 AM
masterchief

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig_C

Mine's all stock for now. I've got some rails to trails nearby and it handles them quite well. I'm thinking about fenders and a rack since I'm using it mostly for commuting. Anyone have any good rack/pannier suggestions? I'm worried about heel strike as it's a fairly compact bike. I've also heard the Specialized plug and play fenders aren't really plug and play on the Diverge. Anyone have any experience with those?
I have no experience with the so called plug and play fenders, but judging by the pictures around the web, they do not seem to offer enough coverage, especially in the front. I have thought about fenders as well, but I will probably go with a pair of SKS Longboards, and mount them to the mid fork eyelets intended for the low rider rack. The only issue I see with the Longboards is that they only come in 35mm width (max 25mm tires) and 45mm width (max 35mm tires). 25mm tires is definitely not enough for me, but I'm not sure the 45mm fenders will fit between the chainstays, and under the front shifter lever arm.

I can add that in general I'm very excited about my new Diverge Elite DSW, its great fun and fast on the tarmac and have handled the gravel I've thrown at it very well, even with the stock 28mm tires. The saddle is great, but the I'm not sure about the compact shape of the bars, but that's a personal preference. 4700 Tiagra is also very nice.
Only negative so far, is the brakes. I'm not impressed with the stopping power to be honest. The front is allright in power, but not as good as I expected from my previous experience with disc brakes, and the rear is not very good, it can't even lock the rear wheel. I will try and upgrade the stock pads to some Kool Stops and see if that helps, and maybe swap the 140mm rear rotor for a 160mm.

Pic from todays ride.
Attached Images
20160505_121759 (Large).jpg (99.9 KB, 2115 views)
Likes For masterchief:
Old 05-05-16, 09:05 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I was thinking about getting one of these, but am a bit concerned that only Specialized makes SCS wheels/hubs that will fit the bike. So you have a choice between specialized lower end wheels or their $2k+ carbon. And it looks like no other bike manufacturer is going to follow suit on this TA geometry.

What's the opinion/consensus on that?
Old 05-05-16, 04:17 PM
MudvilleStomper

Bikes: Civilian Le Roi Le Veut

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope makes hubs that work with the SCS standard.
Old 05-05-16, 04:29 PM
GeneO 

Yeah, I know about them, but will anybody a year or two from now? I like this bike and it looks like a good fit to my body. My other option I am looking at right now is the GT grade carbon.
Old 05-06-16, 12:00 AM
Jofu

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MudvilleStomper
Hope makes hubs that work with the SCS standard.
Sorry I suck at searching wheels... Which Hope wheel exactly would fit the Diverge? Would it be the Cyclocross wheel "Carbon 45 Clincher SP24" and "Carbon 45 Tub SP24" shown here: Wheels - Cyclo Cross | Products | Hope Tech or any of the SP24 wheels shown here: Wheels - Road | Products | Hope Tech ?

Thanks,

Geoff
Old 05-06-16, 03:47 AM
masterchief

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah it looks like it's the SP24 hub that is scs compatible.

I remember reading on several independent sites, that Specialized makes a derailer hanger you can install on your Diverge (or Crux or Roubaix for that matter), which will make any standard 135mm disc brake wheels fit
Old 05-06-16, 06:02 AM
Marvil15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the non SCS rear derailleur hangar from Specialized- $22 and you can run and wheelset you want. That's what I did and shifting/performance after the swap has been flawless.
Old 05-06-16, 07:20 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig_C

My LBS has this exact Diverge in this color. I love it! Am really thinking about selling my Crosstrail and getting this Diverge. It is a nice bike!
Old 05-07-16, 07:10 AM
masterchief

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
New tires yesterday, Panaracer Gravelking 32c (the slick/filetread version). First ride today: 60 km, 15 of them on realtively smooth gravel forrest road, ran 60 psi front 65 rear, but I have no idea if thats how its supposed to be, it worked well for me though.

They were really really smooth on the rougher tarmac found on the back roads around here, and they seem fast anough as well. They handled the gravel fine, I was suprised how fast I was able to confidently ride, but then again, it was smooth gravel/hard packed roads. Absolutely no regrets so far, but I can't comment on durability yet.

They weighed in at 311 grams, but are rated at 290g on Panaracers site.

Does anyone know how to prevent the pictures from rotating? It's only the pictures taking in portrait mode with my phone that flips 90 degrees, the ones taken in landscape are fine.
Attached Images
20160506_155631 (Large).jpg (100.0 KB, 2116 views)
20160507_112619 (Large).jpg (98.1 KB, 2087 views)
20160507_112643 (Large).jpg (99.3 KB, 2099 views)
Old 05-29-16, 07:02 PM
GeneO 

I currently have a FELT cross that I use it for commuting on limestone, gravel paths and road (30 mi + RT) and longer rides (metric centuries) on paths/gravel. I am looking for something that is a little less tiring on long rides, has disk brakes, and can go faster than the FELT, which has cyclocross gearing.

I am about to pull the trigger on a Carbon Expert X1. I just rode one around a parking lot at my LBS and really liked it and the gearing and braking. I also have a hard time fitting because I have short legs and a large Torso, but this seems just right with the sloping top tube, which gives me the TT length I need with adequate stand over.

I was a little worried about the stiffness - it seemed pretty stiff to me, but that was in a parking lot. Anybody have one of these? What do you think?

Last edited by GeneO; 05-30-16 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-30-16, 09:00 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I'm curious if there are any short riders out there with the Diverge? I'm interested in the A1, but I'm 5' and the store won't order one for me to try. It's sure is a great looking bike
Old 06-01-16, 11:14 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
I currently have a FELT cross that I use it for commuting on limestone, gravel paths and road (30 mi + RT) and longer rides (metric centuries) on paths/gravel. I am looking for something that is a little less tiring on long rides, has disk brakes, and can go faster than the FELT, which has cyclocross gearing.

I am about to pull the trigger on a Carbon Expert X1. I just rode one around a parking lot at my LBS and really liked it and the gearing and braking. I also have a hard time fitting because I have short legs and a large Torso, but this seems just right with the sloping top tube, which gives me the TT length I need with adequate stand over.

I was a little worried about the stiffness - it seemed pretty stiff to me, but that was in a parking lot. Anybody have one of these? What do you think?
I have a Carbon Expert and have loved every mile. Unless you are racing, it's the only bike you need. The frame is plenty stiff and is almost the same in stiffness as a Roubaix SL4. When you get on it there is no flex at all. The Expert X1 seems to be one of the more popular carbon models. I like the idea of it in principle but to achieve a similar range as a double, the casette has many gaps between gears and it's tough to maintain consistent cadence from gear to gear. Frankly I find even the 11-32 double unnecessarily wide and gappy for the terrain we have here in Chicago. You may love the X1 like many others, but I would suggest taking one out on an extended ride before pulling the trigger.
Old 06-01-16, 07:23 PM
blackthorne1234

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO the diverge falls on the small side. Ever since the store I bought it from recommended me to get a 58cm frame (and I went with the 56" as it felt 'right') I've been having nagging doubts about getting the right size. On faster rides I feel more cramped than my 54cm road bike, however I justify my decision by the increased comfort on longer gravel rides. Makes sense right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.